    running with 2 x 1gig or with just 1 x 2gig. It is getting pretty annoying
    and was hoping that someone might have some advice on anything that I could
    try. Thank You

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 13, 2008

  2. kungfumonkeyman

    John Barnes Guest

    What is slower, and do you have sufficient space on your Vista drive for the
    larger page and hibernate files which are assigned based on RAM.

    "kungfumonkeyman" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Jan 13, 2008

  3. How much slower? If your mobo takes dual channel then three sticks will
    take it out of dual-channel mode and it might run slightly slower, but
    probably not enough to be noticeable. If the sticks are not exactly the
    same it would probably run slower.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    the whole system is slower....from start up to idle, opening files, going to
    controll panel....I get a lot of (not responding) and then going active
    again. I did try to go in and lower my page file but it doesnt seem to be
    taking properly. almost seemed to help out but now it is slowing down again.
    Hard drive space is ample on my raptor so that wouldnt be it. My processor
    seems to be kicking up to 100% a lot though....I have a Core 2 Duo
    2.2gig....dont know where to go from here other than trying for a bios
    upgrade maybe?....I am just fishing in the dark right now...lol

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 13, 2008
  5. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    I currently have 2 x 1gig and 2 x 2 gig sticks all running at 800. m to
    ensure it wasnt the size difference I tried just the 2 x 2gig sticks and was
    still acting slow. It is considerably slower...startup takes 2-3 minutes and
    I understand that there is a memory check so that doesnt bother me too
    much...it is still too long. even when I press alt cntrl del to get task
    manager up there is about a 10-15 sec delay until the menu appears.

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 13, 2008
  6. kungfumonkeyman

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    Are you showing both cores in your task management? If so, is one core
    hitting 100% while the other sits at a lower usage? I have had that problem
    and had to manually set the affinity of some of my processes in task manager
    to keep from the hanging problem. That doesn't explain the startup problem,
    but might be worth looking at.

    "kungfumonkeyman" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Jan 13, 2008
  7. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    I do show both cores, but they are both spiking most of the time but now at
    idle core 1 if at full and core 2 is about 10%. I will look further into
    changing those settings though....thanks

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 13, 2008
  8. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    With three times the RAM you really shouldn't LOWer your page file. It
    should be set at 1.5 times 6, which is 9. One trick that could speed up your
    page file is to set the 'Min/Max' values to the same size, to prevent the
    system wanting to resize the file, which probably would take enough time to
    make you worry.

    Also, I probably would go for a BIOS update, if there is one!

    Oh - and if you are using any CPU frequency scaling driver, I would probably
    uninstall that and reinstall it after a reboot. It's a long shot, but who
    knows?

    Tony. . .

    "kungfumonkeyman" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Tony Sperling, Jan 13, 2008
  9. kungfumonkeyman

    Patrick Guest

    Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    well memtest on the 2x2gigs
    are all 4 stix the same maker, list ram type on the stixs
    and motherboard make n model would be needed

    although this may be better covered in a motherboard forum

    like tomshardware.com or tweaktown.com

    "kungfumonkeyman" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Patrick, Jan 14, 2008
  10. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    thanks tony...I will give it a try. I was just a little confused cause the
    max range was set at 12 and I was thinking that that was a little high...lol.

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 14, 2008
  11. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    the 2 gig stix are the same and the 1 gig stix are the same but it happens
    when even just the 2 2gig stix are in without the 1 gig stix. I will check
    out those other forums if Tony's response doesnt do the trick....thanx

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 14, 2008
  12. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    oh yea... the mobo is an MSI nvidia 650i and the 2x 2gig stix are
    elixer....the 1 gigs are generic.

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 14, 2008
  13. kungfumonkeyman

    xiowan Guest

    Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    Hello "kungfumonkeyman":
    The MSI website says your board supports "up to 8 GBs" of ram and can
    use 553/667/800 Mhz memory. I wonder if your board is similar to my Intel
    board?
    It can support up to 8 GBs RAM of the same speed as yours, but they on to
    specify that you can only use 4 GB of 800 Mhz or up to 8 GBs of 667. You
    might check the manual and see if they have the same limitations. Up to 8 GB
    can mean many different things sometimes.

    xiowan........in tucson

    xiowan, Jan 14, 2008
  14. kungfumonkeyman

    Patrick Guest

    Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    also check voltage req.. for each set

    Patrick, Jan 14, 2008
  15. Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    thank you for the input.

    I have tried running just 4 gigs of 800 and still have the same slow speeds.
    I am currently adjusting my poagefile size to 9 gigs but in the resource
    meter am now showing 24 gigs. just keep getting different numbers left and
    right and am thinking about just upgrading my mobo to a BFG or something
    along those lines. I know one thing is for sure....I have played enough for
    today and need to crash :\

    kungfumonkeyman, Jan 14, 2008
  16. kungfumonkeyman

    Guest

    Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    On Jan 13, 9:26 pm, kungfumonkeyman
    <> wrote:
    > thank you for the input.
    >
    > I have tried running just 4 gigs of 800 and still have the same slow speeds.
    > I am currently adjusting my poagefile size to 9 gigs but in the resource
    > meter am now showing 24 gigs. just keep getting different numbers left and
    > right and am thinking about just upgrading my mobo to a BFG or something
    > along those lines. I know one thing is for sure....I have played enough for
    > today and need to crash :\
    >
    > "xiowan" wrote:
    > > Hello "kungfumonkeyman":
    > > The MSI website says your board supports "up to 8 GBs" of ram and can
    > > use 553/667/800 Mhz memory. I wonder if your board is similar to my Intel
    > > board?
    > > It can support up to 8 GBs RAM of the same speed as yours, but they on to
    > > specify that you can only use 4 GB of 800 Mhz or up to 8 GBs of 667. You
    > > might check the manual and see if they have the same limitations. Up to 8 GB
    > > can mean many different things sometimes.

    > > xiowan........in tucson

    > > "kungfumonkeyman" wrote:

    > > > oh yea... the mobo is an MSI nvidia 650i and the 2x 2gig stix are
    > > > elixer....the 1 gigs are generic.

    How about flogging the memory using a boot CD rather than testing it
    in windows. This way you could isolate the problem, i.e. hardware or
    OS. I know suse linux has a memory test on the first CD, but I bet
    there are CDs just for memory flogging. I know the memory tester that
    suse uses indicates the throughput.

    You need a program that can address 64 bits. The more I think about
    it, maybe downloading the first CD of suse is a good idea. A lot of
    the existing memory testers may not be 64 bit.

    , Jan 14, 2008
  17. HI,
    putting in additional mem may have caused your Bios to set the "new" config
    to default values (slower speeds)

    like the other told : if you have hibernating (same amount of ram size), it
    may eat your system drive (c:), where it sits,
    that for , your swapfile may now run on a different (may be fragmented)
    drive.

    regards

    Juergen Kluth, Jan 15, 2008
  18. kungfumonkeyman

    Rune Moberg Guest

    "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > With three times the RAM you really shouldn't LOWer your page file. It
    > should be set at 1.5 times 6, which is 9. One trick that could speed up
    > your

    Why? Post a reference please.

    I've researched this in the past, because I've seen claims like this in the
    past (all the way back to NT 3.1), but no documentation exists (afaik) which
    supports your claim. 1.5x (or physical mem size + 11MB) is the suggested
    amount. AFAICT, the suggestion is based on the hypothesis that more memory
    means you'll use more memory intensive apps, and you have a higher chance of
    spillover. I've seen people suggest that the kernel wants (or even expects)
    to be able to page all physical memory to file, but no documentation (again
    AFAIK) supports this claim.

    --
    Rune

    Rune Moberg, Jan 15, 2008
  19. kungfumonkeyman

    Rune Moberg Guest

    Re: Installed 6 gigs of Ram in Vista Ultimate x64 and its slower n

    "kungfumonkeyman" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    >I do show both cores, but they are both spiking most of the time but now at
    > idle core 1 if at full and core 2 is about 10%. I will look further into

    Which process(es) use the CPUs?

    Add the "CPU time" column to task manager. (or just watch the CPU% gauge per
    process)

    --
    Rune

    Rune Moberg, Jan 15, 2008
  20. Hibernation is usually disabled with that much ram aboard.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2008