    not much help to her on this one.
    Thanks for any assistance. I do appreciate it.

    Suz
    Suz, Aug 5, 2003

  2. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bCJXa.6886$,
    Suz <> typed
    || Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out.
    || A friend of mine got a new 160GB drive, but is still using the 20GB
    || she already had as her C Drive. She wants to install programs on one
    || of the bigger drives, which she's got partitioned as 74GB and 76GB,
    || respectively. I told her it wasn't a good idea to install them on a
    || different drive than where she has Windows, but I couldn't remember
    || *why* it wasn't a good idea. Can someone either refresh my memory or
    || tell me I'm full of it? I only use my extra drive for storage, so
    || I'm not much help to her on this one.
    || Thanks for any assistance. I do appreciate it.
    || Suz

    You haven't mentioned which version of Windows will be used, but I think
    it's safe to assume the drive is (or will be) formatted with FAT32 file
    system.

    If this is so, it's probably a better idea to break the drive down into even
    smaller partitions. This should help the drive performance.

    It's probably not a good idea to install programs to a seperate drive (or
    partition), though most programs shouldn't have a real problem with it.
    However some programs assume they will be installed on the C: drive and
    sometimes look for components in directories that should be relative to the
    installed directory, but because the program is installed on a different
    drive might not find the files.

    What might be a better scenario would be to use a program like Ghost
    (www.symantec.com) or Drive Image (www.powerquest.com) to copy the Windows
    installation from the original 20GB drive to a larger partition on the new
    drive, thus allowing more space to install programs.

    If your frient is wishing to install games (which these days can use up
    Gigabytes of space) there shouldn't be any problem installing them to a
    seperate drive (or partition)

    I hope this helps, and wasn't too confusing. :)

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Suz

    Pierre Guest

    Suz wrote:
    > Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out.
    > A friend of mine got a new 160GB drive, but is still using the 20GB
    > she already had as her C Drive. She wants to install programs on one
    > of the bigger drives, which she's got partitioned as 74GB and 76GB,
    > respectively. I told her it wasn't a good idea to install them on a
    > different drive than where she has Windows, but I couldn't remember
    > *why* it wasn't a good idea. Can someone either refresh my memory or
    > tell me I'm full of it? I only use my extra drive for storage, so I'm
    > not much help to her on this one.
    > Thanks for any assistance. I do appreciate it.

    The main reason is that many older apps will want to default to C:. It also
    makes backups far more difficult. There is no real reason not to do it, just
    convenience. The level of trouble she experiences will depend on her OS,
    which you didn't mention.

    If she is using Windows, a better idea would be to use something like
    TweakUI to alter the default location of the "My Documents" folder onto the
    new drive and to move all her working files to there. I only use 10GB for XP
    and have all my data on another, much larger, drive, so her 20GB should be
    more than enough for everyday use. Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/ix9g
    Pierre, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Suz

    Suesan Mason Guest

    "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message

    > In news:bCJXa.6886$,
    > Suz <> typed
    > || Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out.
    > || A friend of mine got a new 160GB drive, but is still using the

    20GB
    > || she already had as her C Drive. She wants to install programs on

    one
    > || of the bigger drives, which she's got partitioned as 74GB and

    76GB,
    > || respectively. I told her it wasn't a good idea to install them

    on a
    > || different drive than where she has Windows, but I couldn't

    remember
    > || *why* it wasn't a good idea. Can someone either refresh my

    memory or
    > || tell me I'm full of it? I only use my extra drive for storage,

    so
    > || I'm not much help to her on this one.
    > || Thanks for any assistance. I do appreciate it.
    > || Suz
    >
    > You haven't mentioned which version of Windows will be used, but I

    think
    > it's safe to assume the drive is (or will be) formatted with FAT32

    file
    > system.
    >
    > If this is so, it's probably a better idea to break the drive down

    into even
    > smaller partitions. This should help the drive performance.
    >
    > It's probably not a good idea to install programs to a seperate

    drive (or
    > partition), though most programs shouldn't have a real problem with

    it.
    > However some programs assume they will be installed on the C: drive

    and
    > sometimes look for components in directories that should be relative

    to the
    > installed directory, but because the program is installed on a

    different
    > drive might not find the files.
    >
    > What might be a better scenario would be to use a program like Ghost
    > (www.symantec.com) or Drive Image (www.powerquest.com) to copy the

    Windows
    > installation from the original 20GB drive to a larger partition on

    the new
    > drive, thus allowing more space to install programs.
    >
    > If your frient is wishing to install games (which these days can use

    up
    > Gigabytes of space) there shouldn't be any problem installing them

    to a
    > seperate drive (or partition)
    >
    > I hope this helps, and wasn't too confusing. :)

    Nope. Not too confusing, at all :O) I'll tell her what you said.
    We've already discussed moving C to a bigger drive and she's not
    confident enough to do these things on her own and she lives too far
    away for me to help her. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it :)

    Suz

    Suesan Mason, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Suz

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:08:39 GMT, "Suz"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out.
    >A friend of mine got a new 160GB drive, but is still using the 20GB
    >she already had as her C Drive. She wants to install programs on one
    >of the bigger drives, which she's got partitioned as 74GB and 76GB,
    >respectively. I told her it wasn't a good idea to install them on a
    >different drive than where she has Windows, but I couldn't remember
    >*why* it wasn't a good idea. Can someone either refresh my memory or
    >tell me I'm full of it? I only use my extra drive for storage, so I'm
    >not much help to her on this one.
    >Thanks for any assistance. I do appreciate it.
    >
    >Suz

    I don't see why it should be a problem at all. In fact it's a good
    idea to leave C as free as possible since some programs store stuff on
    C by default.
    Pete, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Suz

    BIG NIGE Guest

    I make a point, wherever possible of NOT installing programs on my c drive.
    I even have a seperate 1 gig partition (d) especially for swapfile, just to
    keep things clean.

    BIG NIGE, Aug 7, 2003
  7. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Pete <> typed
    || On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:08:39 GMT, "Suz"
    || <> wrote:
    ||| Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out.
    ||| A friend of mine got a new 160GB drive, but is still using the 20GB
    ||| she already had as her C Drive. She wants to install programs on
    ||| one of the bigger drives, which she's got partitioned as 74GB and
    ||| 76GB, respectively. I told her it wasn't a good idea to install
    ||| them on a different drive than where she has Windows, but I
    ||| couldn't remember *why* it wasn't a good idea. Can someone either
    ||| refresh my memory or tell me I'm full of it? I only use my extra
    ||| drive for storage, so I'm not much help to her on this one.
    ||| Thanks for any assistance. I do appreciate it.
    ||| Suz
    || I don't see why it should be a problem at all. In fact it's a good
    || idea to leave C as free as possible since some programs store stuff
    || on C by default.

    It's usually not a good idea because not all programs behave as they should,
    not all programmers are as adept at writing well behaved programs. Some
    programs look in the default installation directory for componants, while
    others use absolute addresses when looking for componants. So if the
    componant isn't in the place the programmer expected to find it, the program
    could have serious problems.

    In theory it shouldn't be a problem. In practice, however, it is a problem.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Aug 7, 2003