    Thanks for any help you can give on this matter.

    --
    DJ
    DJ, Jun 4, 2006

  2. DJ

    chuckie® Guest

    Best possible idea, reformat the HDD and reinstall. Second best, call the
    IT person at that employer (I realize that this may not be an option) and
    ask for the password...luck...

    chuckie®, Jun 4, 2006

  3. DJ

    Guest

    "DJ" <> wrote:

    |>Ever since I messed with my computer the other day, every time I
    |>right-click something, an install message pops up, saying "Please wait
    |>while we configure Symantec Antivirus"...then it says it can't find the
    |>network resource thats needed. I know why this happens: I got this
    |>laptop from my job and Symantec was installed on it previously - the
    |>computer was hooked to the company's network. The problem is I can't
    |>uninstall it because its asking me for an uninstall password, which I
    |>do not have and most likely won't be able to get (I got this laptop
    |>from my job three years ago).
    |>
    |>So my question is this: How can I get it to stop trying to
    |>install/configure/whatever its doing and/or how can I uninstall it
    |>without the password it asks for?
    |>
    |>Thanks for any help you can give on this matter.

    Start | Run <type in> service.msc <enter>
    Disable anything having to do with Symantec Antivirus

    download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Double click on any Symantec Antivirus process read it's image to find
    the file loading - disable the process and rename the file so it's
    can't load

    It's not pretty but it will work..

    --
    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/shownh.php3?img_id=13597

    http://tinyurl.com/jmpby
    , Jun 4, 2006
  4. DJ

    Vanguard Guest

    "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > Ever since I messed with my computer the other day, every time I
    > right-click something, an install message pops up, saying "Please wait
    > while we configure Symantec Antivirus"...then it says it can't find
    > the
    > network resource thats needed. I know why this happens: I got this
    > laptop from my job and Symantec was installed on it previously - the
    > computer was hooked to the company's network. The problem is I can't
    > uninstall it because its asking me for an uninstall password, which I
    > do not have and most likely won't be able to get (I got this laptop
    > from my job three years ago).
    >
    > So my question is this: How can I get it to stop trying to
    > install/configure/whatever its doing and/or how can I uninstall it
    > without the password it asks for?

    Symantec provides a couple uninstall utilities to wipe files and
    registry entries for remnants of their products. RNAV removes their
    antivirus software and RNIS removes their Norton Internet Security
    suite. You can find them by searching Symantec's online knowledgebase.
    Boot into Safe Mode when you run these utilities. Also stop any Norton
    or Symantec services beforehand (after you boot into Safe Mode but
    before you run their removal programs). I don't know if they work
    against the corporate versions of their software.
    Vanguard, Jun 4, 2006
  5. DJ

    beenthere Guest

    "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > Ever since I messed with my computer the other day, every time I
    > right-click something, an install message pops up, saying "Please wait
    > while we configure Symantec Antivirus"...then it says it can't find the
    > network resource thats needed. I know why this happens: I got this
    > laptop from my job and Symantec was installed on it previously - the
    > computer was hooked to the company's network. The problem is I can't
    > uninstall it because its asking me for an uninstall password, which I
    > do not have and most likely won't be able to get (I got this laptop
    > from my job three years ago).
    >
    > So my question is this: How can I get it to stop trying to
    > install/configure/whatever its doing and/or how can I uninstall it
    > without the password it asks for?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give on this matter.

    Here you go DJ.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256b81007b7487?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    beenthere, Jun 4, 2006