    install, I get a message stating setupreg.hiv couldn't be loaded. I am not
    sure if the installation disk is shut or there is an issue with intel.

    Thanks in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?Ukc=?=, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Hi, RG.

    As soon as Vista RTM arrived in November, I installed it "for the last time"
    on my AMD x64 machine (my only computer). Then I got an AMD Athlon 64 X2
    5000+ CPU, along with a new AM2 motherboard, etc., in December. A "Repair
    Install" - as with WinXP - was not available, so I had to install Vista
    Ultimate x64 all over again from scratch.

    The only hassle - aside from the irritation at having to install Vista again
    and then having to reinstall my apps - was that I had to download and
    install 64-bit drivers for the new SATA disk controller included in the new
    mobo's chipset.

    I can't find setupreg.hiv, either on my hard drive or on the DVD I burned,
    from which I installed Vista RTM. That file apparently is created during
    the Setup process, then deleted when Setup is finished. And I haven't had
    an Intel CPU in several years.

    Sorry I can't actually help you, but maybe these data points will be useful.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Mar 30, 2007

  3. What is the source of the installation disk? If you burned it yourself,
    we've seen a lot of silently failed burns. Reducing the burn speed, and
    turning on verify, seems to help.

    Also make sure you have all the drivers you're going to need on hand. I
    strongly suggest that you not try to use a SATA DVD drive - we have seen
    many failures there. Finally, remove ALL USB devices, with the sole
    exception of keyboard and/or floppy. If you need a floppy drive for an F6
    install of drivers, and all you have is a USB floppy, you can leave it
    attached as well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64