Installation Confusion

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Jason Wills, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Jason Wills

    Consultant Guest

    even better, with 1gb you can ditch the pagefile and see even better
    performance

    Consultant, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Jason Wills

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > nah... I'm just gonna get a new system eventually

    Ain't nothin wrong with that. i just got a new system here at work. P4 3GHz,
    1GB RAM, 120 GB HD (like I'll ever fill it up doing *work*!), XP, some
    fancy-ass LCD monitor. "Development machine", they called it. The only
    things I develop are Crystal Reports and an attitude. And when I develop
    reports, I make sure the database is doing all the work, and as little as
    possible is being locally processed. So I don't need a supercomputer here.
    But whatever, it boots up faster in the morning. Which, I guess, is
    unfortunate, if you think about it.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Was that bait?
    Not in a fighting mood tonight--I'll just say don't fall for that trap.
    It looks good on paper, but it won't fly.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Jason Wills

    Marko Guest

    Yes, installs fine without a NIC and it is not a
    requirement to run.

    As for 32 / 64Mb question. You will not be asked in the
    exam.

    BUT the answer is 32Mb minimum (64Mb recommended). That's
    even what it says on the box.

    Here is the rub: If you install Service Pack 3/4 with
    IE6.1sp1, the machine will idle at around 70Mb of used
    RAM. Have a look at the resource meter.

    Now, by turning off all the services associated with
    networking, you can get this down to around 30Mb. Still -
    if you have 32Mb of RAM, just about anything you do will
    use a large chunk of the pagefile, since it can't hold
    everything in the RAM you have available.

    Practically speaking, I would now consider 96-128Mb of RAM
    as the recommended, if you intend to use the machine will
    all hotfixes and service packs applied on a network.

    Once again, you won't be asked this question on the exam.

    Marko, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Jason Wills

    Consultant Guest

    ;-)