Install XP x64 with removable C drive & Raid1 E Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Larry, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of Raid
    systems.

    I currently have a three drive system setup with C-drive non-raid and the
    E-drive is a Raid1/Mirror for my data/documents - WinXP 32-bit is the OS on
    C. Drive D is my DVD/CD.

    All but the DVD/CD are in removable cases.

    I have another drive cartridge with harddrive which I want to tradeout with
    the existing C-drive and install WinXP 64-bit on. I have all of the 64-bit
    raid drivers for the system (will use F6 & floppy on start-up).

    Now my question: If I install the new drive (with 64-bit XP) and setup the
    two others as a Raid1/Mirror under this, will it cause me problems with the
    data that currently resides on the two drives? If so, how do I set the
    system up so that I can switch between the two OS's and still have my data
    on the Raid1/Mirror?

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Without knowing or studying the details of your data RAID setup, this answer
    has to be somewhat generic, but with that caveat, here goes.

    You need to use the tools of your RAID controller to create and activate the
    RAID. This is apparently already done, since it is seen by 32-bit XP. Good.
    Now, you pull out he 32-bit XP C: drive, and put in the new HD that will by
    x64 C:. Put the CD in the CD/DVD drive, and power up. If your C: drive
    doesn't require F6 drivers, do NOT use F6 at this point. Simply install XP
    x64 Edition to C: as you would any other configuration. Pay no attention to
    E: for the moment - we'll get back to it. (Note: if your C: drive also
    requires F6 drivers, you should use F6 to install them, but do NOT add the
    drivers for the E: drive yet.)

    Great. Once the install is finished, and XP x64 boots up, log in. Windows
    will probably (depending on the RAID model) detect the presence of "New
    Hardware" that is your E: drive. If so, let it find the drivers
    automatically, if it can, or provide them if necessary. If Windows does NOT
    automatically detect new hardware, then iInsert a CD into D: with the x64
    drivers for your RAID controller and run whatever driver installation
    program it has. If it has no install program, just an INF, then use the Add
    Hardware wizard from the control panel and eventually point to that INF.

    What you do not want to do is anything that will disrupt the underlying RAID
    configuration, or cause the E: drive to get formatted, obviously.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Thank you.

    So, after it finishes installing WINXPx64 and then when it sees the new
    hardware, I could then insert the floppy and point the new hardware wizard
    to it to install the drivers?

    Larry
    ******************
    FYI: Hardware

    (1) Intel 975XBX motherboard w/Intel 955 EE processor - this has 4-ports
    (0-3) onboard Intel Raid Controller & 4-ports (4-7) onboard SI SoftRaid
    Controller.
    (2) 2 sticks of 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 memory
    (3) Diamond Viper 512mb X1300 (ATI) PCIe Video Board
    (4) SATA port 0 (C-Drive) - WD Raptor 76GB (10K rpm)
    (5) SATA ports 1-2 (E-Drive) - 2 Seagate 250GB (7200 rpm) mirrored
    (6) IDE DVD/CD (D-Drive)

    ******************

    Larry, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Yes.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006
  5. Hello,
    The thing to be the most cautious of is the drive lettering and making sure
    that that you do not format the RAID set by accident.
    If the new drive is not partitioned, it will not appear as C drive in Setup
    and will not get the drive letter C. The first hard drive partition will
    get drive letter C which could be the RAID set volume. Setup will show the
    drive (unless you need to add drivers via F6) and allow you to partition
    and format it. But it gets the next available drive letter, which may be
    E. ( after the Raid volume and DVD drive).
    So if you want to be installed to C, the drive needs to partitioned before
    starting setup, or setup needs to be restarted after partitioning, so that
    drive volume is enumerated before the RAID volume.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Install XP x64 with removable C drive & Raid1 E Drive
    <Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:03:18 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Larry wrote:
    <> The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of Raid
    <> systems.
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 14, 2006
  6. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Thanks.

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Darrell -

    I'm not sure I understand - if I remove my existing C-Drive cartridge and
    plug in a new un-partitioned drive in a cartridge into the same carrier
    (port 0 - non-raid) during setup of WinXPx64, it won't give the new
    un-partitioned drive the letter C because it will see the Raid1/Mirror
    drives as the C-Drive?

    During setup there won't be any drivers for the Raid1/Mirror.

    If that is the case, should I remove the two Raid1/Mirror cartridges from
    the system until after I setup WinXPx64?

    Confused???

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Hello Larry,
    If the RAID1/Mirror drives require drivers and you do not supply them, then
    setup will not see those drives so you shouldn't have an issue.
    Sorry didn't catch the part of drivers being needed for the RAID1\Mirror
    set.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Larry" <oliverlATcoxDOTnet>
    <Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:21:01 -0500
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Darrell -
    <
[...]
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <> <Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:03:18 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
[...]
    <> <--
    <> <Charlie.
    <> <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <> <
    <> <Larry wrote:
    <> <> The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of
    Raid
    <> <> systems.
    <> <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 14, 2006
  9. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Darrell -

    Thanks.

    I'll still keep a close watch and if necessary, let it partition and then
    restart. :)

    Larry, Apr 14, 2006
  10. That's why I told him to NOT load the drivers first. It's the only way to be
    sure it won't see the darn RAID and try to install there. Well, except turn
    off the drives first, but this is cleaner.

    And yes, I _have_ screwed myself doing this once. Only once, but it was
    ugly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006
  11. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Thanks Charlie -

    I asked first because I knew that if I didn't, I'd probably really screw up
    my data/documents drive.

    I appreciate what you and the other MVP's do - I on the other hand 'lurk'
    alot and learn from you'all.

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 15, 2006