Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. OK, I know this kind of thread has been thrashed to death, but I have yet to
    find one that addresses my particular situation. If you think there is a
    thread/FAQ/tutorial that addresses my Q's, then please point me in the right
    direction!

    Current setup:
    System model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2.3790, SP1)
    Disk 0: C (primary), D (no array)
    Disk 1: E (primary), F (no array)

    MS Windows XP Pro 64bit is running on the C partition. Applications/data
    have been installed through Windows onto the C, D and F partitions.

    Desired setup:
    Install MS Windows XP Pro 32bit on the E partition (seperate physical disk
    to the 64bit OS install). I would then be able to dual boot, running MS
    Windows XP Pro in either 32 or 64bit.

    Problems/Q's/Other:
    1. How do I go about installing MS Windows XP Pro 32bit? (step by step guide
    would be nice, but general tips are OK). Can this be done through Windows
    64bit? Using PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0? (note I have a separate license
    for each version)
    2. When I dual boot, will I be able to 'see' the primary partitions of the
    other MS Windows XP Pro install? eg. based on current setup, would I be able
    to see the C partition if MS Windows XP Pro 32bit is booted from the E
    partition?
    3. Would installing applications/configuring hardware from MS Windows XP Pro
    32bit from the E partition cause any impact to existing
    installs/configurations on other partitions?
    4. Will my actions in getting the desired setup as described place my data
    at increased risk (loss/corruption etc)?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=, Oct 2, 2005

  2. I don't think there is any need to use Partition Magic (which is not
    supported under x64 by the way) since its already a physical partition, all
    you would have to do is install Windows XP Professional x86 on the E:
    partition, edit your boot.ini to reflect the changes you have made so that
    it can boot in to either operating system. (This I learnt from John Barnes)
    Copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com file from the x64 drive onto your system
    drive, re-run setup from the x64 CD go into Recovery console and bootcfg
    /rebuild to fix the boot.ini file.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 3, 2005

  3. Do I edit the boot.ini on the C or E partition then, or both (once Win XP x86
    is installed on the E partition)?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=, Oct 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

    honjo Guest

    My preferred way to configure a dual boot system:
    Create a new primary partition in Disk 0, and install WXP x86 there.
    PQBoot for Windows, an utility which comes with Partition Magic can be
    used to switch between the WXP x86 and WXP x64. This way OS drive letter
    becomes always C: no matter which one boots. One of the two primary
    partition where the OS not booting resides is hidden and not visible but
    it can be unhidden by Partition Magic.

    Please note that the new primary partition need to be set active
    *before* the system boots from WXP x86 CDROM to begin installation.

    Kaz

    honjo, Oct 3, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You edit the boot.ini on the system partition. This will be the one
    presented in recovery console, but you can also edit in system properties on
    whatever system you can boot to.
    Also if your system drive is the x64 partition, you will need to save copies
    of the ntldr and ntdetect.com BEFORE you install the x86 version as it will
    overwrite them. You can clean up everything from the x86 system after it
    boots up. First reinstall the saved files to replace the ones installed by
    x86, then fix your boot.ini in system properties or safest is to go into
    the recovery console and do the bootcfg /rebuild as it will know what the
    disk setup is and which is not always obvious when trying to rebuild it in
    system properties.

    John Barnes, Oct 3, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

    andy Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:14:02 -0700, "Andy"
    <> wrote:

    >OK, I know this kind of thread has been thrashed to death, but I have yet to
    >find one that addresses my particular situation. If you think there is a
    >thread/FAQ/tutorial that addresses my Q's, then please point me in the right
    >direction!
    >
    >Current setup:
    >System model: AWRDACPI
    >BIOS version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    >OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2.3790, SP1)
    >Disk 0: C (primary), D (no array)
    >Disk 1: E (primary), F (no array)
    >
    >MS Windows XP Pro 64bit is running on the C partition. Applications/data
    >have been installed through Windows onto the C, D and F partitions.
    >
    >Desired setup:
    >Install MS Windows XP Pro 32bit on the E partition (seperate physical disk
    >to the 64bit OS install). I would then be able to dual boot, running MS
    >Windows XP Pro in either 32 or 64bit.
    >
    >Problems/Q's/Other:
    >1. How do I go about installing MS Windows XP Pro 32bit? (step by step guide
    >would be nice, but general tips are OK). Can this be done through Windows
    >64bit? Using PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0? (note I have a separate license
    >for each version)

    1. Boot from Windows XP32 CD; select new installation.
    2. On the screen that shows the disks and their partitions, the drive
    letters will be C: and E: on the first disk, and D: and F: on the
    second disk, because Setup enumerates primary partitions first, then
    logical drives in the extended partition.
    3. Install in the first partition on the second disk.

    >2. When I dual boot, will I be able to 'see' the primary partitions of the
    >other MS Windows XP Pro install? eg. based on current setup, would I be able
    >to see the C partition if MS Windows XP Pro 32bit is booted from the E
    >partition?

    Do you want to? If you use Microsoft dual boot, all four partitions
    will be visible.

    >3. Would installing applications/configuring hardware from MS Windows XP Pro
    >32bit from the E partition cause any impact to existing
    >installs/configurations on other partitions?

    If you install into the default Program Files folder, there won't be
    any conflicts.

    >4. Will my actions in getting the desired setup as described place my data
    >at increased risk (loss/corruption etc)?

    As long as you don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine.

    andy, Oct 3, 2005
  7. Thank you andy and others for your comments. I am a little puzzled why I need
    to backup ntldr and ntdetect since I am installing X64 to a new partition on
    a new physical drive (won't x86 only update these files on the current
    installing drive?). In any case, I will take a backup.

    As for 'seeing' other system drivers - eg in my case the C and E drives - I
    would like to see them when running 32 or 64bit Windows primarily because of
    the disk capacity. It would seem a waste if I cannot read and write to those
    partitions if Windows is not running on it.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=, Oct 4, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The files are installed on the 'system' drive regardless of where you
    install the OS

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

    VWWall Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > The files are installed on the 'system' drive regardless of where you
    > install the OS

    Not only that, but Windows re-writes the system drive's MBR. This will
    interfere with any boot system like Linux's LILO or GRUB which may use
    that MBR.

    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thank you andy and others for your comments. I am a little puzzled why I
    >>need
    >>to backup ntldr and ntdetect since I am installing X64 to a new partition
    >>on
    >>a new physical drive (won't x86 only update these files on the current
    >>installing drive?). In any case, I will take a backup.

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Oct 4, 2005