Install WinXP on old Dell 3200 BIOS won't recognize USB CDROM

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by donnadigacomo@yahoo.com, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Perplexing problem (to me) that I hope my savior is out there to help

    1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?
    or
    2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?

    All I want to do is install Windows XP on my old DELL 3200 PC.
    But when I start the machine with the WinXP in the USB CDROM, the Dell
    3200 does not "see" the CDROM.

    How do I force the old Dell 3200 PC to "see" the WinXP disc in the USB
    CDROM?

    I want to install Windows XP from scratch on a formatted 10 GB hard
    disk on my ancient DELL 3200 PC but when I start the machine with the
    WinXP Pro disc in the USB CDROM, the machine won't "see" the CDROM
    drive.

    How can I force the ancient Dell 3200 to see the WinXP disk in the USB
    CDROM?

    History:
    There is a mishmash of WinXP on top of WinME currently on the Dell 3200
    and it's working but it's a royal mess. I merely wish to format the
    entire 10 GB hard drive (FAT32?) and then boot to the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM drive and then install a clean Windows XP on the hard drive.

    I tried booting to Win98 boot disk in the internal floppy drive but it
    still didn't "see" the external USB CDROM.

    Two questions I guess ...
    1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?
    or
    2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?

    Donna D.
    , Oct 19, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Perplexing problem (to me) that I hope my savior is out there to help
    >
    > 1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?
    > or
    > 2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?
    >
    > All I want to do is install Windows XP on my old DELL 3200 PC.
    > But when I start the machine with the WinXP in the USB CDROM, the Dell
    > 3200 does not "see" the CDROM.
    >
    > How do I force the old Dell 3200 PC to "see" the WinXP disc in the USB
    > CDROM?
    >
    > I want to install Windows XP from scratch on a formatted 10 GB hard
    > disk on my ancient DELL 3200 PC but when I start the machine with the
    > WinXP Pro disc in the USB CDROM, the machine won't "see" the CDROM
    > drive.
    >
    > How can I force the ancient Dell 3200 to see the WinXP disk in the USB
    > CDROM?
    >
    > History:
    > There is a mishmash of WinXP on top of WinME currently on the Dell
    > 3200 and it's working but it's a royal mess. I merely wish to format
    > the entire 10 GB hard drive (FAT32?) and then boot to the WinXP in
    > the USB CDROM drive and then install a clean Windows XP on the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I tried booting to Win98 boot disk in the internal floppy drive but it
    > still didn't "see" the external USB CDROM.
    >
    > Two questions I guess ...
    > 1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?
    > or
    > 2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?
    >
    > Donna D.

    I'm not familiar with the 3200, but doesn't the CDROM come out of the USB
    unit, and the floppy drive come out of the computer, and you can put the
    CDROM into the floppy drive bay? That's what we do with the Dell model 3500
    units we have at work.

    If not, you can download the 6 floppy disk boot set
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
    Whether or not that will then access the USB connected CD-ROM remains to be
    seen - I've never tried it.

    But why would you want XP on a 3200? Best I can tell, it's like a Pentium
    233 - way slow.

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Oct 19, 2005

  3. The BIOS must have an option to boot to a USB device.
    If no option exists, then you cannot boot from a USB
    CD drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Oct 19, 2005
  4. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Perplexing problem (to me) that I hope my savior is out there to help
    >
    > 1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?
    > or
    > 2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?

    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM

    > How do I force the old Dell 3200 PC to "see" the WinXP disc in the USB
    > CDROM?

    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM

    > How can I force the ancient Dell 3200 to see the WinXP disk in the USB
    > CDROM?

    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM

    > Two questions I guess ...
    > 1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?
    > or
    > 2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    > CDROM?

    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 20, 2005
  5. Allan Guest

    I don't think you'll ever be able to boot up from your external Windows
    CD. The BIOS on those older machines didn't allow you to boot up from
    an external USB device. But doesn't the Windows XP disk give you the
    option of a clean install when you launch it from your current Windows
    setup?

    Here's what I would do, but it might be more trouble than you want to
    go to.

    Copy all valuable files onto an external, removable device.

    Create a new partition on the hard drive of around 1Gb. There are
    various ways of doing this.

    Copy the entire contents of the Windows XP installation disk to the new
    partition.

    Launch the Windows XP installation on the new partition from within
    your existing Windows setup.

    When the XP installation asks which partition the OS is to be installed
    to, point it at your C partition. I'm pretty sure it will ask you
    whether you want to reformat the partition and whether you want to do a
    clean installation or an upgrade.

    When all is working properly, delete the partition containing the XP
    installation files.
    Allan, Oct 20, 2005
  6. I have had the same problem with trying to launch/start form an USB CD-ROM
    on a new machine. I just never got it to work. Now about the copy "entire"
    contents of Win XP CD to a partition and then run it from the HD. Is that
    possible, and how is it done?
    Charlie Evans, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Dan Evans Guest

    "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message

    > I have had the same problem with trying to launch/start form an USB CD-ROM
    > on a new machine. I just never got it to work. Now about the copy
    > "entire" contents of Win XP CD to a partition and then run it from the HD.
    > Is that possible,

    Yes.

    > and how is it done?

    You copy the entire contents of the CD to a hard drive, then run winnt32.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Thank you very much. I will try it tomorrow.....
    Charlie Evans, Oct 22, 2005