    unit. I just don't want to get in the position where the machine won't
    work.

    Thanks....
    Bishoop, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Bishoop

    Mike245 Guest

    Bishoop wrote:

    > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of WinXP
    > which she is willing to purchase.

    Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
    do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
    those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
    the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now
    Mike245, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Bishoop

    Bishoop Guest

    "Mike245" <> wrote in message
    | Bishoop wrote:
    |
    | > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of
    WinXP
    | > which she is willing to purchase.
    |
    | Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
    | do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
    | those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
    | the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.
    |

    | --
    | Mike
    | Block Banner Ads Now
    | http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    Thanks for the input.

    You mention Blaster, is that the RealTek audio update?
    Bishoop, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Bishoop

    John Holmes Guest

    Bishoop came up with this:

    > "Mike245" <> wrote in message
    >| Bishoop wrote:
    >|
    >| > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of
    > WinXP
    >| > which she is willing to purchase.
    >|
    >| Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
    >| do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
    >| those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
    >| the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.
    >|

    >| --
    >| Mike
    >| Block Banner Ads Now
    >| http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > You mention Blaster, is that the RealTek audio update?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    PML

    --
    -John Holmes-
    John Holmes, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Bishoop

    Dennis Guest

    Bishoop wrote:

    > "Mike245" <> wrote in message
    > | Bishoop wrote:
    > |
    > | > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of
    > WinXP
    > | > which she is willing to purchase.
    > |
    > | Sure, just burn whatever drivers you need from the website onto a CD and
    > | do the reinstall. You can ignore the microsoft updates as you can get
    > | those from the web, but do put the patch for blaster or at least enable
    > | the firewall before going on the web with a fresh XP install.
    > |

    > | --
    > | Mike
    > | Block Banner Ads Now
    > | http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > You mention Blaster, is that the RealTek audio update?

    No...a worm. Make sure and get any MS critical updates after
    installation of XP. You may find that XP already has drivers for all or
    most of the components in her PC. Updated versions can often be had
    through Windows update.
    Dennis, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Use Aida32:
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php
    and/or Belarc:
    to identify installed hardware then look for XP drivers before starting.
    Both are free.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny Cargill, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Bishoop

    Professor Guest

    I redid a Gateway but never an HP though I have one. The Gateway had the
    drivers for the sound, video card and they had a modem so it worked fine.
    Mostly what you need are the drivers for the essential hardware, graphics
    and sound, and modem if there is one. If that is what is on the website it
    should work fine. The HP I am using here came with a hidden partition for
    restoring it which I don't like as compared to having disks.
    "Bishoop" <> wrote in message
    > A neighbor has an HP Pavilion a320n which came loaded with the usual array
    > of crap software.
    >
    > She asked if I would redo her machine using a commercial version of WinXP
    > which she is willing to purchase.
    >
    > I checked the HP web site and there is quite an assortment of
    > driver/software located at http://tinyurl.com/ubnj.
    >
    > Would I be successful getting her machine running with a fresh install of
    > commercial WinXP and the collection of stuff located on the HP site?
    >
    > I've built many PCs and configured them but have never reworked a brand

    name

    Professor, Feb 28, 2004