install windows with no cdrom?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Julian Visch, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    max wrote:

    > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.
    >
    > regards max

    Does it have a network card? If so you can do it that way

    Julian Visch, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Julian Visch

    Ben Dover Guest

    Use a program (I use FX) to copy the contents
    of the CD to the hard drive of the laptop, then
    set it up as usual. You will need some kind of cable
    (FX uses a parallel cable).

    Ben Dover, Jul 27, 2003

  3. "max" <maxb@linux_mafia.org> wrote in message
    > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.
    >
    > regards max

    Get the latest Winzip (winzip.com) zip up the "Win98" folder from the CDROM
    into floppy-sized chunks (Ie. Not spanning onto actual floppies, but
    splitting a zip file into floppy sized chunks). Copy these to floppies (You
    only need 1 floppy if you move them to the laptop and reuse the disk). Then
    copy them over to the laptop. When you have them all on there, unzip them
    onto the hard drive somewhere. Then you can install from that folder
    (setup.exe).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Julian Visch

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2003.07.28.06.37.34.445551@linux_mafia.org>,
    maxb@linux_mafia.org says...
    > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.

    If it still has windows running, preload the CD before you reinstall.

    Mainlander, Jul 27, 2003
  5. Julian Visch

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bg004k$prh$>, says...
    > "max" <maxb@linux_mafia.org> wrote in message
    > > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.
    > >
    > > regards max

    > Get the latest Winzip (winzip.com) zip up the "Win98" folder from the CDROM
    > into floppy-sized chunks (Ie. Not spanning onto actual floppies, but
    > splitting a zip file into floppy sized chunks). Copy these to floppies (You
    > only need 1 floppy if you move them to the laptop and reuse the disk). Then
    > copy them over to the laptop. When you have them all on there, unzip them
    > onto the hard drive somewhere. Then you can install from that folder
    > (setup.exe).

    I think you have got to be kidding. Do you realise how many megabytes the
    installation files are?

    Mainlander, Jul 27, 2003
  6. Julian Visch

    Steve Guest

    max allegedly said:

    > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.
    >
    > regards max

    If you have a network, copy the contents of the Windows CD over to the hard
    drive and run setup from the hard drive.

    I'm not sure how WinXP handles such a thing, but Win9x/ME does it no
    problems. In fact, sometimes that is the ONLY way to get it installed
    because sometimes the install can't see the CD drive - until the install is
    finished (Catch-22).

    I used to always copy the \win9x directory to the hard drive even if
    installing from CD as about 25% of the time I'd get part way through the
    install and the system would then "lose" the CD drive....and i was
    farked.....unless I could point it at the \win9x directory on the hard
    drive - and carry on.

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 27, 2003
  7. Julian Visch

    SNOman Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <pan.2003.07.28.06.37.34.445551@linux_mafia.org>,
    > maxb@linux_mafia.org says...
    > > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.

    > If it still has windows running, preload the CD before you reinstall.

    How does he do that when the CD rom drive is broken?

    SNOman, Jul 28, 2003
  8. "SNOman" <> wrote in message

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > In article <pan.2003.07.28.06.37.34.445551@linux_mafia.org>,
    > > maxb@linux_mafia.org says...
    > > > is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    > > > only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.

    > > If it still has windows running, preload the CD before you reinstall.

    > How does he do that when the CD rom drive is broken?

    That advice is very much like:

    1. "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue" and...
    2. Getting drivers that you need to access your CD-ROM drive on a CD..
    <sighs>

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003
  9. Julian Visch

    max Guest

    max, Jul 28, 2003
  10. Julian Visch

    na Guest

    If you still have the reg details and the original CD Microsoft NZ used to
    be willing to do a Media change from Cd to Floppy for about $30 for Win95.
    They might still do it for you.

    na, Jul 28, 2003
  11. "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:46:33 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I think you have got to be kidding. Do you realise how many megabytes

    the
    > >> installation files are?

    > >121mb.. that's 84 floppies, or 71 floppies if you format them at 1.72 mb
    > >each. Okay.. maybe a little more than an afternoon's work. I must have

    been
    > >thinking of installing Windows 95 from floppies.
    > >

    > Wonder how many dud floppies you'd have out of that many? I find a lot of

    them
    > would pass Wogers "Crap" mark easily these days ;-)

    That's true. I bought a box of ten floppies. Now I only have 5 floppies
    left. The rest have failed after a few weeks of use. If the laptop has
    network, USB, PCMCIA, parallel or (If you have a long time to wait) serial,
    you can still get it over without floppies.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 29, 2003
  12. Julian Visch

    pbs Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > "max" <maxb@linux_mafia.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>is this possible? how can i do it if so?
    >>only have a floppy drive, on a laptop with a broken cdrom drive.
    >>
    >>regards max

    > Had similar problem, wanted to do fresh install 98SE, trouble is with
    > nothing installed on laptop couldn't "see it", installed DOS on laptop,
    > found dos based software, fastlynx or similar can't remember exactly, used
    > null modem cable, copied install files to laptop, run set-up from laptop.

    I have a laptop with a broken CD dirive and a working network card.
    I have set up a recovery disk using Bart Lagerweij's
    "Bart's Network Boot Disk."

    The address I have for this free software is:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/
    But that is refusing conections as I write this :-(
    However a google turns up other sites :)

    pbs, Jul 29, 2003
  13. Julian Visch

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > or (If you have a long time to wait) serial

    Serial isnt *that* slow... at least not between two brand new
    machines, which he isnt talking about(high-speed serial port adapters
    should offer 230400 or 460800 settings, my onboard one does, what
    little good it does), so never mind... you could still probably get
    128k out of it, so it would only take ~2 hrs to transfer it, and
    probably quicker than floppy... at a guess(and not willing to try it!)

    T.N.O., Jul 29, 2003