    What's happening? The machine is installed for half an hour!

    Thanks

    An
    =?Utf-8?B?QW4=?=, Apr 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW4=?=

    Noozer Guest

    > I get the message:
    > "The evaluation period for this copy of Windows has ended. Windows cannot
    > start. To continue using windows, please purchase and install a retail
    > copy
    > of the product."
    >
    > When I click "OK" I get a blue screen and I can only press the button to
    > shut down the machine.
    >
    > What's happening? The machine is installed for half an hour!

    Two questions...

    - Is the time set properly on your PC? (And was it during the install? After
    installing it may have done a timesync and corrected itself.)

    - How old is the installation disk that you have? I can't say for this
    particular software, but many disks are limited to work withing a date rate
    and not for a certain number of days.
    Noozer, Apr 26, 2006

  3. hey,

    I did'nt check which date he proposed but i did choose the right time zone.
    Now I can't login anymore so I can't check.

    I downloaded the software last week. So I installed in the same month of
    the download. And it's a trial for 90 days...

    It will try to install once more and check the date the machine proposes

    Thanks,

    An

    =?Utf-8?B?QW4=?=, Apr 26, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW4=?=

    Noozer Guest

    "An" <> wrote in message
    > hey,
    >
    > I did'nt check which date he proposed but i did choose the right time
    > zone.
    > Now I can't login anymore so I can't check.
    >
    > I downloaded the software last week. So I installed in the same month of
    > the download. And it's a trial for 90 days...
    >
    > It will try to install once more and check the date the machine proposes

    Be sure to check the date & time in your BIOS setup.
    Noozer, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Hey,

    I just Reinstalled, but didn't install the R2 yet.
    I rebooted: ok
    I activated and rebooted: still ok

    I hope it keeps on working!

    The date the machine proposes while installing was correct, so I don't know
    what happened

    An

    =?Utf-8?B?QW4=?=, Apr 26, 2006
  6. ALWAYS make sure that you have date, time and time zone set correctly before
    activating. Any change after activation on these eval versions can trigger a
    problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 26, 2006
  7. He should be able to fix this though, if he can't log in real mode, bu
    restarting in safe mode. :)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 26, 2006
  8. Once it's triggered, I don't think you can un-trigger it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Hello,
    When this issue comes up, where an eval copy expires before it should, I
    usually look in the setup log files in the root of Windows folder to
    determine the install data. Setupapi.log is appended to so it maintains a
    log that can you check for dates. I usually also look at the event logs. I
    sort them by date. Virtually everytime someone has this type of issue,
    looking in one of these log files, I can see an entry with date out of the
    expected ranges.
    You should always be able to logon to the box in Safe Mode with the local
    administrator account. Only Safe Mode is available, not Safe Mode with
    Netoworking for example.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: install windows server 2003 x64 trial
    <Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:52:23 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <problem.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <An wrote:
    <> Hey,
    <>
    <> I just Reinstalled, but didn't install the R2 yet.
    <> I rebooted: ok
    <> I activated and rebooted: still ok
    <>
    <> I hope it keeps on working!
    <>
    <> The date the machine proposes while installing was correct, so I don't
    <> know what happened
    <>
    <> An
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <> "Noozer" wrote:
    <>
    <>>
    <>> "An" <> wrote in message
    <>> news:D...
    <>>> hey,
    <>>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 26, 2006
  10. Hello,
    Correct, once eval has expired or been triggered, the only choices would be
    to upgrade to released product.
    Safe Mode logging on with the Local "Administrator" account should be
    available.
    Only Safe Mode and only that one account are available for logon.
    There are actually separate expirations that can occur:
    818025 Windows 2003 Server evaluation copy expiration behavior
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;818025

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:49:24 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Once it's triggered, I don't think you can un-trigger it.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    <> He should be able to fix this though, if he can't log in real mode, bu
    <> restarting in safe mode. :)
    <> --
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>> ALWAYS make sure that you have date, time and time zone set correctly
    <>> before activating. Any change after activation on these eval versions
    can
    <>> trigger a problem.
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>>
    <>> An wrote:
    <>>> Hey,
    <>>>
    <>>> I just Reinstalled, but didn't install the R2 yet.
    <>>> I rebooted: ok
    <>>> I activated and rebooted: still ok
    <>>>
    <>>> I hope it keeps on working!
    <>>>
    <>>> The date the machine proposes while installing was correct, so I don't
    <>>> know what happened
    <>>>
    <>>> An
    <>>>
    <>>>
    <>>>
    <>>> "Noozer" wrote:
    <>>>
    <>>>>
    <>>>> "An" <> wrote in message
    <>>>> news:D...
    <>>>>> hey,
    <>>>>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 26, 2006
  11. Yes, I did this with Vista this morning, so can't you change the date to an
    earlier time before Activation is triggered in Safe mode to trick the OS and
    restart back in normal mode?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 26, 2006
  12. Hello Andre,
    Once it's triggered there is nothing that can be done.
    Prior to it's being done there are two different expirations that can
    occur. ( reference the article link)
    One may allow what you attempt, the other will not. They track differently
    to detemine the expiration of the eval period.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:43:16 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
[...]
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <> <Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:52:23 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <ALWAYS make sure that you have date, time and time zone set correctly
    <> before
    <> <activating. Any change after activation on these eval versions can
    <> trigger
    <> a
    <> <problem.
    <> <
    <> <--
    <> <Charlie.
    <> <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <> <
    <> <An wrote:
    <> <> Hey,
    <> <>
    <> <> I just Reinstalled, but didn't install the R2 yet.
    <> <> I rebooted: ok
    <> <> I activated and rebooted: still ok
    <> <>
    <> <> I hope it keeps on working!
    <> <>
    <> <> The date the machine proposes while installing was correct, so I don't
    <> <> know what happened
    <> <>
    <> <> An
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <> "Noozer" wrote:
    <> <>
    <> <>>
    <> <>> "An" <> wrote in message
    <> <>> news:D...
    <> <>>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 27, 2006
  13. I didn't realize there were two different paths here, but I knew once you
    get nailed, you stay nailed. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64