    cd-rom? Will this work? any other suggestions?
    I do have the drivers for the hardware in the laptop.
    L.D.

    L.D., Jan 18, 2004

  2. L.D.

    Harrison Guest

    You can take the drive out, put it in another laptop (provided the
    other laptop uses the same type of drive), boot to a floppy. copy the
    setup files to the drive, return it to the primary laptop, boot to a
    floppy, and run setup from the drive.

    Option:
    Use a Laplink cable to establish a parallel connection between the
    laptop and another computer and then copy the setup files to the drive
    via the connection.
    http://www.abcd.com.au/help/aq_backup.htm

    Harrison, Jan 18, 2004

  3. L.D.

    Billh Guest

    Windows 95 came on floppies! I know I installed it that way on a laptop
    once.

    Here is a twist on what you want to do. Buy a laptop harddrive adaptor to
    plug in to a desktop computer. They run about 12 bucks and will allow for
    power and convert to the desktop ide cable. I would then copy the windows
    95 cd on to the hard drive and then put it back in the laptop and boot up
    and install right from the hard drive.

    Billh, Jan 18, 2004
  4. L.D.

    Professor Guest

    You might have problems with hardware drivers if the other laptop is a
    different make. If you can copy the install cd onto the hard drive of
    another cd then use a file splitting program to break it up into floppy
    sized sections you might be able to install it with floppies.

    Professor, Jan 18, 2004
  5. L.D.

    Tim Guest

    L.D. wrote:
    > I have an old laptop with no cdrom and I need to reinstall win 95.

    > do have a cd-rom that connects via pcmcia, but it won't work in

    dos.
    > Can I take the HD out, put it in another laptop that has cd-rom,
    > install windows then take the HD out and put back in the computer
    > with no cd-rom? Will this work? any other suggestions?
    > I do have the drivers for the hardware in the laptop.
    > L.D.

    If it's a case of the old laptop still working but needs a fresh
    install, copy the Win95 folder from the CD to the HD, swap to DOS,
    delete everything except the Win95 folder then run setup.exe from
    there. The folder with the setup files might even still be there from
    the original install... look for a folder with files like
    Win95_02.cab in it.

    Tim, Jan 18, 2004
  6. "L.D." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have an old laptop with no cdrom and I need to reinstall win 95. I do
    > have a cd-rom that connects via pcmcia, but it won't work in dos. Can I
    > take the HD out, put it in another laptop that has cd-rom, install
    > windows then take the HD out and put back in the computer with no
    > cd-rom? Will this work? any other suggestions?
    > I do have the drivers for the hardware in the laptop.
    > L.D.

    Move the hard drive into the laptop with a cd but instead of
    installing, just copy the windows 95 cd to the hard drive (if there is
    a win95 folder on the cd thats all you need - long time ago, memory
    fuzzy).

    Then put the hard drive back into the non-cd laptop go into that
    directory and run setup.

    Away you go.

    Simon
    http://simonfixmycomputer.flyeronthewire.com

    Simon Browning, Jan 18, 2004
  7. L.D.

    Patrick Guest

    L.D. wrote:
    > I have an old laptop with no cdrom and I need to reinstall win 95. I
    > do have a cd-rom that connects via pcmcia, but it won't work in dos.
    > Can I take the HD out, put it in another laptop that has cd-rom,
    > install windows then take the HD out and put back in the computer
    > with no cd-rom? Will this work? any other suggestions?
    > I do have the drivers for the hardware in the laptop.
    > L.D.

    Bootdisc.com have a bootdisc for W95 that have, quote;
    'All Disks Include Universal CDrom Drivers'
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Patrick, Jan 19, 2004
  8. L.D.

    kerfoker Guest

    L.D. wrote:

    > I have an old laptop with no cdrom and I need to reinstall win 95. I do
    > have a cd-rom that connects via pcmcia, but it won't work in dos. Can I
    > take the HD out, put it in another laptop that has cd-rom, install
    > windows then take the HD out and put back in the computer with no
    > cd-rom? Will this work? any other suggestions?
    > I do have the drivers for the hardware in the laptop.
    > L.D.

    I did this with an old p-90 toshiba laptop. Get 29 floppies
    with your win95 cd and go to:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~robert.bale1/bkup/win95backup.htm

    -Fred

    kerfoker, Jan 19, 2004
  9. L.D.

    Simon Kiedyk Guest

    Installing it through another computer will work without a problem. I did it
    many times with Windows 2000 just because the other computer was faster so
    in the end it saved me time.

    Don't do all this "DOWNLOAD 29 FLOPPY DISKS" it's a waste of time. If you
    can use another computer, go ahead and do that, it will save you time.

    S.K.

    Simon Kiedyk, Jan 19, 2004