Install Win98 from start up disk

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Senti, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Senti

    Senti Guest

    Hi group,

    My father-in-law has an older P3 Dell Latitude that needs to have Win 98
    installed on it. The hard drive was reformatted using Fdisk and
    whomever formatted didn't use the /s switch so it's not a system disk.
    We have the Win98 Startup floppy, the Win98 CD, and a USB CD-RW.

    I've altered the config.sys and the autoexec.bat to add in the USB
    drivers and have full access to the CD. In fact, when I start up from
    the floppy and tell it to run the Windows setup from CD, it even starts
    the setup program. However, I keep getting errors saying "Windows Setup
    requires 'largest executable program' size to be at least x,xxx,xxx bytes."

    I've seen a couple of pages mentioning the issue is with dblspace.bin,
    but that's now where to be found on the floppy, nor on the hard drive.
    Microsoft's support page about says it's caused by one of the following:

    - Hard drive space has been reported incorrectly: I've run a couple of
    different disk utilities and none found any hard drive errors, and all
    report the same amount of hard drive space.

    - Computer has a virus: Also a negative.

    - Computer has failing or faulty hardware: Computer was working
    completely fine until someone decided to reformat the hard drive.

    - Incorrectly installed drive overlay software: Unless the Win98 setup
    disk is setup incorrectly, also a negative. The only alterations I made
    to the config.sys and autoexec.bat were adding in the drivers for the
    USB ports.

    Even running Setup with the /is switch gave the same error message.

    It's been a hella long time since I've done anything with DOS, and I'm
    limited to the few files that come on the Windows Startup disk, so how
    can I configure the computer to run the setup of the CD? Do I just need
    to configure EMS or XMS? If so, anyone know of a good online guide to
    help refresh my memory? Or is there something else?
    Senti, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Senti

    Senti Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My father-in-law has an older P3 Dell Latitude that needs to have Win 98
    > installed on it. The hard drive was reformatted using Fdisk and
    > whomever formatted didn't use the /s switch so it's not a system disk.
    > We have the Win98 Startup floppy, the Win98 CD, and a USB CD-RW.
    >
    > I've altered the config.sys and the autoexec.bat to add in the USB
    > drivers and have full access to the CD. In fact, when I start up from
    > the floppy and tell it to run the Windows setup from CD, it even starts
    > the setup program. However, I keep getting errors saying "Windows Setup
    > requires 'largest executable program' size to be at least x,xxx,xxx bytes."
    >
    > I've seen a couple of pages mentioning the issue is with dblspace.bin,
    > but that's now where to be found on the floppy, nor on the hard drive.
    > Microsoft's support page about says it's caused by one of the following:
    >
    > - Hard drive space has been reported incorrectly: I've run a couple of
    > different disk utilities and none found any hard drive errors, and all
    > report the same amount of hard drive space.
    >
    > - Computer has a virus: Also a negative.
    >
    > - Computer has failing or faulty hardware: Computer was working
    > completely fine until someone decided to reformat the hard drive.
    >
    > - Incorrectly installed drive overlay software: Unless the Win98 setup
    > disk is setup incorrectly, also a negative. The only alterations I made
    > to the config.sys and autoexec.bat were adding in the drivers for the
    > USB ports.
    >
    > Even running Setup with the /is switch gave the same error message.
    >
    > It's been a hella long time since I've done anything with DOS, and I'm
    > limited to the few files that come on the Windows Startup disk, so how
    > can I configure the computer to run the setup of the CD? Do I just need
    > to configure EMS or XMS? If so, anyone know of a good online guide to
    > help refresh my memory? Or is there something else?

    Sometimes it helps to check what switches are available for the command.
    Checked Setup.exe /? and found the following switches:

    /c - bypasses running SMARTDrive.
    /l - Use this switch if you have a Logitech mouse and want it enabled
    during Setup.
    -s - Use this switch to use an alternate Setup.inf file.
    /t:dir - This switch lets you specify where Setup copies its temporary
    files. WARNING: Any existing files in this folder are deleted.
    /ih - This switch causes Setup to run ScanDisk in the foreground.
    /im - Causes setup to ignore the conventional memory check.
    /iq - If you use the /is switch to bypass ScanDisk or if ScanDisk does
    not complete successfully, Setup checks your drive for cross-linked
    files. The /iq switch prevents Setup from doing this.
    /is - This switch causes Setup not to run ScanDisk.
    /it - This switch bypasses checking for the presence of "dirty" or
    "deadly" terminate-and-stay-resident programs (TSRs) that are known to
    cause problems with Windows Setup.

    None of them worked when used by themselves, but the /c /is /im
    combination worked like a charm and Setup is currently copying the files
    to the disk. :)
    Senti, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Senti

    Guest

    Senti <> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >
    >My father-in-law has an older P3 Dell Latitude that needs to have Win 98
    >installed on it. The hard drive was reformatted using Fdisk and
    >whomever formatted didn't use the /s switch so it's not a system disk.
    >We have the Win98 Startup floppy, the Win98 CD, and a USB CD-RW.
    >
    >I've altered the config.sys and the autoexec.bat to add in the USB
    >drivers and have full access to the CD. In fact, when I start up from
    >the floppy and tell it to run the Windows setup from CD, it even starts
    >the setup program. However, I keep getting errors saying "Windows Setup
    >requires 'largest executable program' size to be at least x,xxx,xxx bytes."
    >
    >I've seen a couple of pages mentioning the issue is with dblspace.bin,
    >but that's now where to be found on the floppy, nor on the hard drive.
    >Microsoft's support page about says it's caused by one of the following:
    >
    >- Hard drive space has been reported incorrectly: I've run a couple of
    >different disk utilities and none found any hard drive errors, and all
    >report the same amount of hard drive space.
    >
    >- Computer has a virus: Also a negative.
    >
    >- Computer has failing or faulty hardware: Computer was working
    >completely fine until someone decided to reformat the hard drive.
    >
    >- Incorrectly installed drive overlay software: Unless the Win98 setup
    >disk is setup incorrectly, also a negative. The only alterations I made
    >to the config.sys and autoexec.bat were adding in the drivers for the
    >USB ports.
    >
    >Even running Setup with the /is switch gave the same error message.
    >
    >It's been a hella long time since I've done anything with DOS, and I'm
    >limited to the few files that come on the Windows Startup disk, so how
    >can I configure the computer to run the setup of the CD? Do I just need
    >to configure EMS or XMS? If so, anyone know of a good online guide to
    >help refresh my memory? Or is there something else?

    Download a new bootdisk http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (OEM)

    You also need to download and have SMARTDRV load on boot up (it makes
    things much faster) http://vetusware.com/download/SMARTDRV.EXE/?id=52

    You might check your MSDOS.SYS (text) file to see if:
    DBLSpace=Boolean
    Default: 1
    If so change 1 to 0 - disables compression
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579
    (C:\MSDOS.SYS)
    --
    http://necromanthus.com/Games/ShockWave/
    , Dec 22, 2006
  4. Senti

    philo Guest

    "Senti" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My father-in-law has an older P3 Dell Latitude that needs to have Win 98
    > installed on it. The hard drive was reformatted using Fdisk and
    > whomever formatted didn't use the /s switch so it's not a system disk.
    > We have the Win98 Startup floppy, the Win98 CD, and a USB CD-RW.

    Sounds like you ran fdisk but did NOT format the drive.

    The correct procedure is to run fdisk
    then recreate an active primary partition

    REBOOT

    then format the drive.

    Hard to tell excatly what you did...but the drive was probably not formatted

    philo, Dec 22, 2006
  5. Senti

    Senti Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Senti" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> My father-in-law has an older P3 Dell Latitude that needs to have Win 98
    >> installed on it. The hard drive was reformatted using Fdisk and
    >> whomever formatted didn't use the /s switch so it's not a system disk.
    >> We have the Win98 Startup floppy, the Win98 CD, and a USB CD-RW.
    >>

    > Sounds like you ran fdisk but did NOT format the drive.
    >
    > The correct procedure is to run fdisk
    > then recreate an active primary partition
    >
    > REBOOT
    >
    > then format the drive.
    >
    > Hard to tell excatly what you did...but the drive was probably not formatted

    Thanks for the reply.

    Someone else ran Fdisk before I got to it, but I checked and the
    partition was setup properly. The disk was actually formatted as well,
    before I got to it. I was in a hurry before work when I typed that up
    and didn't catch that I had said "formatted with fdisk" rather than
    "formatted after using fdisk", so I can understand your confusion.
    Senti, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Senti

    Senti Guest

    wrote:
    > Senti <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> My father-in-law has an older P3 Dell Latitude that needs to have Win 98
    >> installed on it. The hard drive was reformatted using Fdisk and
    >> whomever formatted didn't use the /s switch so it's not a system disk.
    >> We have the Win98 Startup floppy, the Win98 CD, and a USB CD-RW.
    >>
    >> I've altered the config.sys and the autoexec.bat to add in the USB
    >> drivers and have full access to the CD. In fact, when I start up from
    >> the floppy and tell it to run the Windows setup from CD, it even starts
    >> the setup program. However, I keep getting errors saying "Windows Setup
    >> requires 'largest executable program' size to be at least x,xxx,xxx bytes."
    >>
    >> I've seen a couple of pages mentioning the issue is with dblspace.bin,
    >> but that's now where to be found on the floppy, nor on the hard drive.
    >> Microsoft's support page about says it's caused by one of the following:
    >>
    >> - Hard drive space has been reported incorrectly: I've run a couple of
    >> different disk utilities and none found any hard drive errors, and all
    >> report the same amount of hard drive space.
    >>
    >> - Computer has a virus: Also a negative.
    >>
    >> - Computer has failing or faulty hardware: Computer was working
    >> completely fine until someone decided to reformat the hard drive.
    >>
    >> - Incorrectly installed drive overlay software: Unless the Win98 setup
    >> disk is setup incorrectly, also a negative. The only alterations I made
    >> to the config.sys and autoexec.bat were adding in the drivers for the
    >> USB ports.
    >>
    >> Even running Setup with the /is switch gave the same error message.
    >>
    >> It's been a hella long time since I've done anything with DOS, and I'm
    >> limited to the few files that come on the Windows Startup disk, so how
    >> can I configure the computer to run the setup of the CD? Do I just need
    >> to configure EMS or XMS? If so, anyone know of a good online guide to
    >> help refresh my memory? Or is there something else?

    > Download a new bootdisk http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (OEM)
    >
    > You also need to download and have SMARTDRV load on boot up (it makes
    > things much faster) http://vetusware.com/download/SMARTDRV.EXE/?id=52
    >
    > You might check your MSDOS.SYS (text) file to see if:
    > DBLSpace=Boolean
    > Default: 1
    > If so change 1 to 0 - disables compression
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579
    > (C:\MSDOS.SYS)

    I had downloaded a new bootdisk from there, though I don't remember if I
    selected the OEM version or not. Whichever one I did download was
    exactly the same as the original one I was already using.

    I managed to go through it without SmartDrv loaded, and using some of
    the switches for Setup.exe. And yes, it did take a hella long time
    without SmartDrv. :D

    I never thought of checking MSDOS.SYS though. I'll keep it in mind if
    there's a next time. Thanks for the info! :)
    Senti, Dec 23, 2006