    Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
    disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
    the factory hidden partition. Thanks

    mart, Jul 10, 2010

  2. mart

    John Holmes Guest

    mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
    > disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
    > the factory hidden partition.

    If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.

    >Thanks

    Anytime.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jul 10, 2010

  3. mart

    mart Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:59:27 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
    >> disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
    >> the factory hidden partition.

    > If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.
    >
    >>Thanks

    > Anytime.

    Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or disable
    the boot restore functionality?

    mart, Jul 10, 2010
  4. mart

    chuckcar Guest

    mart <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:59:27 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
    >>> disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
    >>> the factory hidden partition.

    >> If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.
    >>
    >>>Thanks

    >> Anytime.

    > Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or
    > disable the boot restore functionality?

    What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
    partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard drive
    or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't really have
    anywhere else for it to go now does it?

    BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
    understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who *does*
    do it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 10, 2010
  5. mart

    mart Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > mart <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:59:27 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.

    >>> Anytime.

    >> Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or
    >> disable the boot restore functionality?
    >>

    > What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
    > partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard drive
    > or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't really have
    > anywhere else for it to go now does it?
    >
    > BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
    > understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
    > *does* I do it.

    I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
    course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
    option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive, and
    therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot time.

    mart, Jul 10, 2010
  6. mart

    chuckcar Guest

    mart <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> mart <> wrote in

    >>> Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or
    >>> disable the boot restore functionality?
    >>>

    >> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
    >> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard
    >> drive or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't
    >> really have anywhere else for it to go now does it?
    >>
    >> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
    >> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
    >> *does* I do it.

    > I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
    > course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
    > option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
    > and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
    > time.

    If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
    you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
    both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
    *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
    of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
    or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
    card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
    like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
    *will* work.

    Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
    only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 11, 2010
  7. mart

    mart Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:46:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > mart <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> mart <> wrote in

    >>> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
    >>> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard
    >>> drive or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't
    >>> really have anywhere else for it to go now does it?
    >>>
    >>> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
    >>> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
    >>> *does* I do it.

    >> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
    >> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
    >> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
    >> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
    >> time.
    >>

    > If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
    > you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
    > both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
    > *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
    > of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
    > or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
    > card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
    > like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
    > *will* work.
    >
    > Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
    > only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

    I have made recovery dvd's in case I'm unable to restore from the hidden
    partitions. I still believe the bios boots from the hidden partition so
    formatting C should not disable my ability to restore Vista. We shall see
    lol. I really just want to replace Vista with Win7. According to this:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?ct=SB&soid=2467684&ref=EV
    My A200 supports Win7. Hopefully all the drivers will be found for my
    devices during the install.

    Thanks for your help

    mart, Jul 11, 2010
  8. mart

    chuckcar Guest

    mart <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:46:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >

    >> If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as
    >> then you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which
    >> *will* wipe both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether
    >> you have drivers *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista
    >> ones will be unavailable of course and wouldn't work anyways. And
    >> they will not be available from W7 or Microsoft. These can include
    >> such things as sound, video, modem and network card drivers. You'd
    >> have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones - like
    >> Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
    >> *will* work.
    >>
    >> Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run
    >> *one* OS only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

    > I have made recovery dvd's in case I'm unable to restore from the
    > hidden partitions. I still believe the bios boots from the hidden
    > partition so formatting C should not disable my ability to restore
    > Vista.

    I extremely doubt that. The drive is defined *in* the BIOS. It makes for a
    vicious circle.

    We shall see lol. I really just want to replace Vista with
    > Win7. According to this:
    > http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?ct=SB&
    > soid=2467684&ref=EV My A200 supports Win7. Hopefully all the drivers
    > will be found for my devices during the install.

    Before you do so write down the *exact* names in device manager in Vista
    for the sound card, graphics card and anything else other than USB
    (interface *not* including what's plugged in them) and standard system
    things like mouse and keyboard.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 11, 2010
  9. mart

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 11/07/2010 02:52, mart wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:46:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> mart<> wrote in

    >>> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
    >>> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
    >>> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
    >>> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
    >>> time.
    >>>

    >> If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
    >> you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
    >> both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
    >> *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
    >> of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
    >> or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
    >> card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
    >> like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
    >> *will* work.
    >>
    >> Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
    >> only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

    > I have made recovery dvd's in case I'm unable to restore from the hidden
    > partitions. I still believe the bios boots from the hidden partition so
    > formatting C should not disable my ability to restore Vista. We shall see
    > lol. I really just want to replace Vista with Win7. According to this:
    > http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?ct=SB&soid=2467684&ref=EV
    > My A200 supports Win7. Hopefully all the drivers will be found for my
    > devices during the install.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    Ignore Chuckcar, he's an idiot. You sound as thought you know more than
    he does. What you are planning to do should work just fine.

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 11, 2010
  10. mart

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 11/07/2010 00:46, chuckcar wrote:
    > mart<> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> mart<> wrote in

    >>> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
    >>> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard
    >>> drive or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't
    >>> really have anywhere else for it to go now does it?
    >>>
    >>> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
    >>> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
    >>> *does* I do it.

    >> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
    >> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
    >> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
    >> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
    >> time.
    >>

    > If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
    > you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
    > both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
    > *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
    > of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
    > or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
    > card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
    > like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
    > *will* work.
    >
    > Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
    > only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

    What complete and utter rubbish. You just make stuff up don't you?

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 11, 2010
  11. mart

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 02:00:27 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    I extremely doubt
    As we all extremely wonder.
    Are you extremely stupid?

    joevan, Jul 11, 2010
  12. mart

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:37:33 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >Ignore Chuckcar, he's an idiot. You sound as thought you know more than
    >he does.

    I think that may qualify as one of the biggest understatements of the
    millennium.

    joevan, Jul 11, 2010