    and the transfer is slow...

    Best regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 29, 2004

  2. zxcvbob

    °Mike° Guest

    Starting from scratch is always preferable; you don't
    inherit or carry across any previous problems/malware.

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:03:54 -0500, in
    <>
    zxcvbob scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 29, 2004

  3. zxcvbob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "zxcvbob" <> wrote in message
    > Is that an OK thing to do, or do I need to reformat and do a clean

    install?

    > Also, I assume I need to have SP3 or SP4 "network install" file handy
    > and install the service pack before I ever connect to the Internet? (to
    > keep Blaster away.) The Windows 2000 CD and license is supposed to get
    > here today, and I don't know what service level it is.
    >
    > I'm downloading W2kSP4_EN.exe right now from Microsoft; the file is huge
    > and the transfer is slow...
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    I would agree with Mike - clean install, using NTFS if possible. The SP
    files you are downloading are a great idea - if you can put them on CD or
    extra HD or something, as well as your other backups. You can even download
    AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, your favorite firewall,
    etc., and any other utilities that would be good to have installed before
    starting your internet connection That way, you can reformat the drive and
    get the best performance out of your system.
    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2004
  4. On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:03:54 -0500, zxcvbob <>
    wrote:

    >Is that an OK thing to do, or do I need to reformat and do a clean install?

    I tried this on a PC a few months ago and, although it booted, there
    were no end of problems with it. I would recommend doing it from
    scratch.
    The Great Cornholio, May 30, 2004
  5. Same here ... tried it the other week ... nothing but problems!!!

    So, every bit of hardware was documented and suitable Win2000 drivers sought
    .... then a clean install using NTFS ...but definately get drivers for

    Network Card & modem

    Cent!!!

    Centurian_Ooo'yabass, May 30, 2004
  6. zxcvbob

    Spike Guest

    Try this link for a windows update CD from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

    Mike.
    *********************************

    Spike, May 30, 2004
  7. zxcvbob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Oooh - Oooh - I forgot about that <g>! But if he can't wait three or four
    weeks, that may not be the best idea. In addition, I doubt that CD has the
    full W2K service packs on it. Those are a separate CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/ordercd.asp

    Toolman Tim, May 30, 2004
  8. zxcvbob

    Spike Guest

    The Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) CD includes the same software as the
    Web download. Customers in the United States and Canada can order the CD
    from this Web site. The CD costs U.S. $9.95 (CDN $14.95) and includes
    shipping and handling.

    Spike, May 30, 2004
  9. zxcvbob

    Spike Guest

    I will check out the The Windows Security Update CD for W2000 Service Pack.
    It only took 4 days to arrive (u.k) when i ordered it.
    Mike.

    Spike, May 30, 2004
  10. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Spike wrote:
    > The Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) CD includes the same software as the
    > Web download. Customers in the United States and Canada can order the CD
    > from this Web site. The CD costs U.S. $9.95 (CDN $14.95) and includes
    > shipping and handling.

    I managed to get it downloaded -- it took almost an hour even with a
    broadband connection because MS's server was kind of slow.

    FedEx decided not to deliver my W2k package yesterday. Home delivery is
    *supposed* to available on Saturday, and the package tracking said it
    was loaded on the truck for delivery Saturday at 4:30 a.m., and there it
    still sits I guess. Since scheduled delivery date was Tuesday I really
    can't complain much. So I have plenty of time to make a goodies CD with
    the service pack, latest security updates, IE updates, popup killers,
    ZoneAlarm, etc.

    Best regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 30, 2004
  11. zxcvbob

    Spike Guest

    The Windows Security Update CD contains W2KSP4_EN and this disk is free

    Spike, May 30, 2004