    to get it to check the external drive. Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    tb Kepler
    =?Utf-8?B?dGJLZXBsZXI=?=, Dec 28, 2005

  2. I'm guessing the external floppy is USB. If that is the case, I do not
    beleive USB drivers load for Windows installation. My advice would be to burn
    the SATA/RAID drivers to CD and load them off CD when prompted, if the
    drivers aren't native to the install disk.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFyb2QgQ3VtbWluZ3M=?=, Dec 28, 2005

  3. thanks for the advice, but I am still stuck. The external diskette drive is
    indeed a USB device, so now I know why that does not work.

    I did try to load the drivers directly from CD, but this does not work,
    either. The x64 installation CD specifies that the drivers diskette is to be
    put into "drive a:", and it does not give the user a chance to specify
    another location.

    =?Utf-8?B?dGJLZXBsZXI=?=, Dec 28, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dGJLZXBsZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are probably stuck following the advice Charlie has proffered here many
    times. Buy a cheap internal drive and a cable and hook it up when needed
    and then store it until the next time.

    John Barnes, Dec 28, 2005
  5. That would be my guess too. Unfortunately I am without an x64 install disk at
    the moment and can't verify all of the install options.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFyb2QgQ3VtbWluZ3M=?=, Dec 28, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dGJLZXBsZXI=?=

    VWWall Guest

    tbKepler wrote:
    > thanks for the advice, but I am still stuck. The external diskette drive is
    > indeed a USB device, so now I know why that does not work.
    >
    > I did try to load the drivers directly from CD, but this does not work,
    > either. The x64 installation CD specifies that the drivers diskette is to be
    > put into "drive a:", and it does not give the user a chance to specify
    > another location.

    You need a CD that shows up to the computer as "Drive A". There are
    programs to make such a CD from whatever format in which the drivers now
    exist. Here's one way to make a bootable CD that appears as "drive a:",
    assuming the drivers are on a bootable floppy. If not, put them there
    first.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

    This uses Nero, but there are other ways of doing this using any CD
    burning software.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Dec 28, 2005
  7. Sorry, but that trick won't work for what he needs. :(

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 29, 2005
  8. You may be able to change your BIOS setting to make it see the USB floppy.
    It works for some, not for others. Look for a setting that enables "legacy
    emulation" or something similar in the section on USB settings.

    Failing that - spend less than $20 USD for a cheap, internal floppy drive
    and cable and plug them in for the time it takes to load x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 29, 2005