"Install script not found" error when installing Plug-In with Mozilla

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Columbus Jim, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Columbus Jim

    Columbus Jim Guest

    I have been trying to install several different plug-ins for my Mozilla
    v1.7.13 but get an "Install script not found" error message every time. I
    have also tried downloading the .xpi file to my hard drive and dragging it
    to Mozilla to install it that way but get the same error.

    One of the specific plug-ins that I tried is Ook Video:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2584/

    Other searches on the issue mentioned that as new versions of
    Mozilla/Firefox are relased it often breaks the install script since the
    maxVersion entries in the install.rdf file become outdated, even though the
    plug-in itself would still work on the latest browsers. I have extracted
    the files from the .xpi and changed the "em:maxVersion" entries to 1.7.13
    and then repackaged the .xpi but still get the same error.

    Thanks for any help,
    Jim

    Columbus Jim, Nov 13, 2006

  2. Re: "Install script not found" error when installing Plug-In withMozilla

    Columbus Jim wrote:
    > I have been trying to install several different plug-ins for my Mozilla
    > v1.7.13 but get an "Install script not found" error message every time. I
    > have also tried downloading the .xpi file to my hard drive and dragging it
    > to Mozilla to install it that way but get the same error.
    >
    > One of the specific plug-ins that I tried is Ook Video:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2584/
    >
    > Other searches on the issue mentioned that as new versions of
    > Mozilla/Firefox are relased it often breaks the install script since the
    > maxVersion entries in the install.rdf file become outdated, even though the
    > plug-in itself would still work on the latest browsers. I have extracted
    > the files from the .xpi and changed the "em:maxVersion" entries to 1.7.13
    > and then repackaged the .xpi but still get the same error.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Jim

    Well, that extension (not a plug in) is for Firefox, not Mozilla Suite.
    Not all extensions are compatable between the two programs, and this one
    isnt.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Nov 13, 2006

  3. Columbus Jim

    Columbus Jim Guest

    On 13 Nov 2006 "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <>
    contributed the following:

    < Referring to me trying to install a .xpi plug-in file with Mozilla
    suite 1.7.13 >

    > Well, that extension (not a plug in) is for Firefox, not Mozilla
    > Suite. Not all extensions are compatable between the two programs, and
    > this one isnt.

    I seem to be going around in circles with my searches. Initially I
    thought that Mozilla Suite was basically Firefox and Thunderbird along
    with some other smaller utilities combined into one convenient package,
    and that add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird should work with Mozilla
    suite, but not necessarily the reverse. Apparently I was wrong about
    that. I also now understand the difference between plug-ins and
    extensions.

    Knowing that, I went back to Mozilla's web site and was more careful
    about the links I chose to reach the Mozilla Suit Add-ons search area.
    Before I had ended up at:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2584/
    but now I get to:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/mozilla/2584/
    which has a big banner across the top specifically saying "Mozilla Suite
    Add-ons", but otherwise it is basically the same as the Firefox Add-ons
    page, and still giving me a .xpi file.

    Hmm, as I was writing this I continued to poke around, and finally found
    some other add-ons that specifically listed Mozilla vs Firefox in the
    "Works With" list, but they still appear to be .xpi files:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/mozilla/361/

    Apparently their search engine doesn't bother to check the "Works With"
    list, so although I am searching under the Mozilla area the results don't
    necessarily work with Mozilla. That can get confusing, and wastes a lot
    of time as the vast majority of the add-ons I checked from the search
    results did not list Mozilla.

    Is there any simple way to find an add-on for Mozilla suite that will
    allow me to grab embedded videos?

    Thanks for the help,
    Jim

    Columbus Jim, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Re: "Install script not found" error when installing Plug-In withMozilla

    Columbus Jim wrote:
    > On 13 Nov 2006 "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <>
    > contributed the following:
    >
    > < Referring to me trying to install a .xpi plug-in file with Mozilla
    > suite 1.7.13 >
    >
    >> Well, that extension (not a plug in) is for Firefox, not Mozilla
    >> Suite. Not all extensions are compatable between the two programs, and
    >> this one isnt.

    > I seem to be going around in circles with my searches. Initially I
    > thought that Mozilla Suite was basically Firefox and Thunderbird along
    > with some other smaller utilities combined into one convenient package,
    > and that add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird should work with Mozilla
    > suite, but not necessarily the reverse. Apparently I was wrong about
    > that. I also now understand the difference between plug-ins and
    > extensions.
    >
    > Knowing that, I went back to Mozilla's web site and was more careful
    > about the links I chose to reach the Mozilla Suit Add-ons search area.
    > Before I had ended up at:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2584/
    > but now I get to:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/mozilla/2584/
    > which has a big banner across the top specifically saying "Mozilla Suite
    > Add-ons", but otherwise it is basically the same as the Firefox Add-ons
    > page, and still giving me a .xpi file.
    >
    > Hmm, as I was writing this I continued to poke around, and finally found
    > some other add-ons that specifically listed Mozilla vs Firefox in the
    > "Works With" list, but they still appear to be .xpi files:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/mozilla/361/
    >
    > Apparently their search engine doesn't bother to check the "Works With"
    > list, so although I am searching under the Mozilla area the results don't
    > necessarily work with Mozilla. That can get confusing, and wastes a lot
    > of time as the vast majority of the add-ons I checked from the search
    > results did not list Mozilla.
    >
    > Is there any simple way to find an add-on for Mozilla suite that will
    > allow me to grab embedded videos?
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    > Jim

    I don't know about your specific problem, but here is a great list of
    SeaMonkey compatible extensions.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Re: "Install script not found" error when installing Plug-In withMozilla

    On 11/13/2006 10:12 AM, Columbus Jim wrote:
    > On 13 Nov 2006 "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <>
    > contributed the following:
    >
    > < Referring to me trying to install a .xpi plug-in file with Mozilla
    > suite 1.7.13 >
    >
    >> Well, that extension (not a plug in) is for Firefox, not Mozilla
    >> Suite. Not all extensions are compatable between the two programs, and
    >> this one isnt.

    > I seem to be going around in circles with my searches. Initially I
    > thought that Mozilla Suite was basically Firefox and Thunderbird along
    > with some other smaller utilities combined into one convenient package,
    > and that add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird should work with Mozilla
    > suite, but not necessarily the reverse. Apparently I was wrong about
    > that. I also now understand the difference between plug-ins and
    > extensions.
    >
    > Knowing that, I went back to Mozilla's web site and was more careful
    > about the links I chose to reach the Mozilla Suit Add-ons search area.
    > Before I had ended up at:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2584/
    > but now I get to:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/mozilla/2584/
    > which has a big banner across the top specifically saying "Mozilla Suite
    > Add-ons", but otherwise it is basically the same as the Firefox Add-ons
    > page, and still giving me a .xpi file.
    >
    > Hmm, as I was writing this I continued to poke around, and finally found
    > some other add-ons that specifically listed Mozilla vs Firefox in the
    > "Works With" list, but they still appear to be .xpi files:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/mozilla/361/
    >
    > Apparently their search engine doesn't bother to check the "Works With"
    > list, so although I am searching under the Mozilla area the results don't
    > necessarily work with Mozilla. That can get confusing, and wastes a lot
    > of time as the vast majority of the add-ons I checked from the search
    > results did not list Mozilla.
    >
    > Is there any simple way to find an add-on for Mozilla suite that will
    > allow me to grab embedded videos?
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    > Jim

    The Mozilla Suite and Seamonkey can install .xpi files, but the .xpi
    files have to be specially designed for the Suite or Seamonkey.

    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 13, 2006