    hard drive on IDE 1 and the cdrom on IDE 2. Does that make a difference? I
    don't think it should but.....Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    Rocco

    Rod Long, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Rod Long

    Rod Long Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Upgrading XP home to Pro. I deleted and partitioned
    with the XP Pro cd 3 times. I thought that I had wiped it out. I already
    backed up the data. I cannot boot from a floppy to use fdisk. I change the
    BIOS to boot from floppy and save changes and then when it reads from the
    floppy, it says no operating system found. My friend needs this pc by
    tomorrow morning. I have already spend several hours trying to
    reformat\create partition\install to this drive. I have tried a couple of
    different XP Pro cd's to see if maybe one of them was bad found nothing
    wrong with either cd. I am going to change the cdrom for one of my good
    ones. If that doesn't work...maybe bad hard drive?. Thanks.

    Rocco

    Rod Long, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Rod Long

    Rod Long Guest

    It just hit me that booting my floppy disk won't work because it won't
    recognize the NTFS partition? Sounds logical. I will make some XP startup
    discs and try that. If not......

    Rod

    Rod Long, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Rod Long

    AG Guest

    If you need to completely wipe a disk the easiest thing to do is run a debug
    script.
    The page here:
    http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/HardDrive.htm
    has detailed instructions. I print them so I'll have them there to see.
    This will remove all access to data from the drive. The data is still there
    but it removes the FAT.

    AG

    AG, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Rod Long

    me Guest

    If you are trying to install a Full Version of WindowsXp Pro, then do this:
    Go into CMOS and switch the boot order into Cdrom as primary boot device,
    then hard drive and floppy(if you have a floppy), then insert the XP cd and
    boot the computer. Once you get to the option of either deleting the
    partition that already has the windows OS on it or leaving the file system
    intact--delete the partition and then install the XP OS fresh. Next when
    the computer reboots--and it will at some point during the install
    process--GO IMMEDIATELY BACK INTO YOUR CMOS settings and change the boot
    order back to Hard drive as primary boot device, then cdrom and floppy--in
    that order, and then Save and Exit--which I think is F10, or just go to the
    Save and Exit screen and save your settings, and then let the computer
    reboot itself again. Once you have rebooted, the installation will pick up
    and continue the installation without having to start over again.

    me, Feb 28, 2005