Install problem: Win2003 Srv Ent x64 (R2)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by cmk, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. cmk

    cmk Guest

    The hardware:
    - Supermicro H8DCE motherboard w/ BIOS v.1.0c
    - 2 x Opteron 270
    - 4 x Kingston KVR400S4R3A 1GB memory modules
    - 3 x Western Digital Caviar SATA II (WD2500KS), 2 are setup as mirrored in
    BIOS and used as install drive.

    I am trying to install Win 2003 Srv Ent x64 to a mirrored drive set.
    The motherboard uses nVidia Pro chipset.

    I first tried to install Win 2003 Srv Ent x64 from my MSDN disks, with
    problems decribed below.
    Today i downloaded and tried installing Win 2003 Srv Ent x64 R2, with the
    same problems.
    On both installs i have tried the nForce4 6.66 and 6.82 revision drivers.
    The drivers seem to be for both XP and 2003.

    - Boot from install CD - ok
    - Hit F6 and load nVidia RAID drivers from floppy - ok
    - Format drive, install OS, get to first login and am able to login and get
    a GUI.
    - With 6.66 drivers i get an error message about a 32-bit application
    failure.
    It asks if i would like to send to MS, network isn't up so i can't.
    I look at the details but there is no specific app info.
    With 6.82 i don't get this message.
    - With R2 i get popup asking to continue install with Disk 2
    (i get the following regards of installing disk2 or not)
    - 7 new devices are found and i just let it install drivers and finish each
    with no errors
    - first is hard disk
    - then 3 sets of primary and secondary IDE
    - I get a message that changes require a reboot
    - With R2 and 6.82 drivers i have not seen any errors at this point
    - When i look in explorer i see drives C, D, E
    D is the DVD, C is the boot drive, E is the mirror of C !
    I should not see the mirror (E) in explorer
    - I am able to open task manager: 4 cores, 4 GB found

    - I reboot, i get a black screen with the message saying
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \Windows\System32\Config\System
    You can try to repair by hitting r at first screen ...
    - At the screen
    Select install to repair
    1. c:
    When i enter 1 <enter> the system hangs.

    I expect it is a nVidia driver problem installing to a mirrored set.

    Open to suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Chris
    cmk, Dec 19, 2005

  2. cmk

    cmk Guest

    Sometimes instead of
    \Windows\System32\Config\System
    being missing or corrupt i get
    <Windows root>\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
    is missing or corrupt.
    cmk, Dec 19, 2005

  3. cmk

    cmk Guest

    I have just found the same problem with Win 2003 Srv Ent R2 - 32 bit.
    cmk, Dec 19, 2005