    installing XP and 2003 over X64 cause a problem
    So is order X64 then XP then Server 2003 OK ? I'll put X64 boot files
    back on c: ?

    - Bobb -, Apr 13, 2006

  2. XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2, Server 2003 - SP1 to avoid
    overwriting the MBR older versions of Windows xp.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 13, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    " XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2"

    Did you mean X64 ? I have early X64 so probably Sp0 or Sp1 on CD.
    So I would have to install it first , then XP, then 2003 ?

    - Bobb -, Apr 13, 2006
  4. See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before Server.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 13, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thanks Charlie - I'm there now:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/search.aspx?q=multi-boot&p=1

    But I thought X64 wiped my disk during install ? ( it's been a while)
    BTW, I've watched a few of your webcasts over the past few months - very
    useful thanks

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    message news:%...

    - Bobb -, Apr 13, 2006
  6. It need not wipe your disk. But it WILL wipe out any existing Windows
    related folders.

    Make sure you put each OS on its own partition.

    And I'm glad you found them useful.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Depends on if you chose to do that during the text based portion of setup.
    There are a few available options depending on the configuration you, you
    could have choosen to install to a separate partition, repair the existing
    installation.

    I know that if you have XP Professional x64 installed first, and the install
    XP x86 after without a compatible Service Pack integrated on the disk such
    as SP2 or Server 2003 SP1, it will wipe out the boot loader. What you can do
    though, is boot off the Windows XP Pro x64 CD, go into the recovery console,
    log in as the local Administrator, use the bootcfg /rebuild command, and
    repair each boot entry for the installed versions of Windows on your hard
    disk. Multiple entries will be created, but you can fix and remove the
    unnecessary ones by going to, Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced >
    under "Startup and Recovery" click > Settings > under "System startup" >
    click Edit > remove the old entries, save the file and exit.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 14, 2006
  8. - Bobb -

    John Barnes Guest

    You still have to have the x64 versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com also to
    boot.

    John Barnes, Apr 14, 2006
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thanks guys.

    I'm printing/saving these messages to a folder as I haven't messed with
    recovery console before - and since I'm reinstalling probably a good
    idea to play with it then - if I blow it up it's no big deal. My
    install XP Cd had SP1 only, but I've downloaded and slipstreamed SP2 -
    haven't tried the CD yet - hopefully I followed the instructions
    properly and it'll work Ok. (Gonna unplug my current drive and install
    to a backup - just in case)

    - Bobb -, Apr 14, 2006
  10. Ahh, thanks for that important bit of info John. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 14, 2006
  11. It's all in the blog post. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006
  12. Right on! :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 18, 2006
  13. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Install order of XP, X64 Vista Beta 2 and SBS 2003 Server (trial)

    Charlie,
    Since we last spoke (wrote), I currently have/use XP Pro on sata drive
    (primary) and x32 Vista on IDE drive. I'd like to blow away Vista x32
    , save XP and install SBS2003 trial on the Sata drive too.(can I do that
    with the Vista boot loader already installed?)
    Then I'll install x64 and Vista x64 beta2 to IDE drives.

    Is that order correct ?
    If all goes well I'll end up with
    SATA drive:
    C= XP