    crap.

    Thanks,
    Jeff P
    Jeffrae, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Jeffrae

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Jeffrae" <> wrote:

    >I know how to do it I had an XP disk for this machine. Is there any way to
    >just install Windows off the Compaq restore crap? I do not want all the
    >crap that comes with the computer.. I also don't feel I should have to buy
    >windows XP for a machine that came with it.... I already purchased a valid
    >license with the machine..
    >
    > I know I know.. I should have stuck with a generic PC like I usuaully
    >do. I needed a second PC in a heartbeat a few monthes back.. Now I don't
    >need this pc for what I was using it for, and I don't want all that compaq
    >crap.

    My first suggestion is to install using the recovery CD and then
    uninstall all of the additional Compaq stuff using Control Panel -
    Add/Remove Programs and then a registry cleaner.

    One problem with using a generic XP CD is that they often do not
    contain the unique drivers needed for the proprietary hardware that
    Compaq machines so often contain.

    Now here is a suggestion that *might* work. If you can get a copy of
    an install CD for a generic OEM version of Windows XP (Home or Pro -
    same as came with the Compaq machine) then you might repeat might be
    able to install it using the product key from the Compaq. I do not
    believe that the product keys used by Compaq are coded so as to be
    unique to Compaq and they might just work with another OEM CD.

    OEM product keys will not work with retail versions, or vice versa,
    and product keys for XP Pro will not work with XP Home, or vice versa.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP