    something to prepare the new PC to accept them?

    Thanks in advance.

    Smooth
    Smooth, May 18, 2007

  2. Smooth

    flamer Guest

    On May 18, 2:28 pm, Smooth <> wrote:
    > My old PC began to act erratically a couple of months ago. I noticed
    > the problem when it suddenly began taking an extremely long time to
    > boot. Once booted, though, everything worked fine. I was able to
    > access all of my files on both physical hard drives. Within a few
    > days, the PC would not boot at all. I had a newer PC that I used only
    > for multimedia, so I was forced to make it my daily PC. Now, I would
    > like to take the hard drives from my old PC, and install them on my
    > new one (I am assuming the hard drives are OK because of the way the
    > old PC died). Should this work OK for me? Can I simply remove the
    > physical hard drives from my old PC, and install them in my new PC,
    > relying on XP to recognize them once I boot? Or do I need to do
    > something to prepare the new PC to accept them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Smooth

    make sure all 3 drives are jumpered to "cable select" then on the
    primary ide cable stick the new pc's main hdd on the end of the cable
    and one of the older ones in the middle, then plug the 3rd hdd onto
    the secondary ide cable.

    windows will do he rest.

    Flamer.
    flamer , May 18, 2007

  3. Smooth

    dfrog Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On May 18, 2:28 pm, Smooth <> wrote:
    >> My old PC began to act erratically a couple of months ago. I noticed
    >> the problem when it suddenly began taking an extremely long time to
    >> boot. Once booted, though, everything worked fine. I was able to
    >> access all of my files on both physical hard drives. Within a few
    >> days, the PC would not boot at all. I had a newer PC that I used only
    >> for multimedia, so I was forced to make it my daily PC. Now, I would
    >> like to take the hard drives from my old PC, and install them on my
    >> new one (I am assuming the hard drives are OK because of the way the
    >> old PC died). Should this work OK for me? Can I simply remove the
    >> physical hard drives from my old PC, and install them in my new PC,
    >> relying on XP to recognize them once I boot? Or do I need to do
    >> something to prepare the new PC to accept them?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Smooth

    > make sure all 3 drives are jumpered to "cable select" then on the
    > primary ide cable stick the new pc's main hdd on the end of the cable
    > and one of the older ones in the middle, then plug the 3rd hdd onto
    > the secondary ide cable.
    >
    > windows will do he rest.
    >
    > Flamer.

    Smooth,

    there is a chance that your 'old PC' acted as it did because of 'garbage'
    that had built up on it's hard drive (s) ( no offence meant, but it does
    happen), and if you then put these drives into your new computer, then the
    same problems would persist, just a thought..........

    dfrog
    dfrog, May 18, 2007
  4. Smooth

    ProfGene Guest

    Smooth wrote:
    > My old PC began to act erratically a couple of months ago. I noticed
    > the problem when it suddenly began taking an extremely long time to
    > boot. Once booted, though, everything worked fine. I was able to
    > access all of my files on both physical hard drives. Within a few
    > days, the PC would not boot at all. I had a newer PC that I used only
    > for multimedia, so I was forced to make it my daily PC. Now, I would
    > like to take the hard drives from my old PC, and install them on my
    > new one (I am assuming the hard drives are OK because of the way the
    > old PC died). Should this work OK for me? Can I simply remove the
    > physical hard drives from my old PC, and install them in my new PC,
    > relying on XP to recognize them once I boot? Or do I need to do
    > something to prepare the new PC to accept them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Smooth

    You need to change the old drive's jumpers to make it a slave. Very
    often on older drivers this is done by removing the jumper but there
    should be a picture of the jumper settings on the drive. If there is no
    picture you may be able to find one on the Website of the maker.
    ProfGene, May 27, 2007