Install Linksys wireless USB adapter

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by SilverSurfer, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to set up a small wireless network. I have configured the
    Linksys WAP Router and installed a Linksys wireless USB network adapter on
    one computer running Windows Me (no problems). However, the same procedure,
    that is, installing the Linksys driver and software for the USB network
    adapter on another computer also running Windows Me does not seem to work.

    On this particular computer, I installed the driver software and then
    connected the wirless USB network adapter to a USB SlimHub from SIIG.
    Following startup, the link lights on the USB hub indicate that the USB
    network is communicating with the computer UNTIL Windows Me starts to load.
    The link light goes off and Windows does not recognize the new hardware.

    The cables are all good, the USB hub tests out fine too and installing the
    same USB network adapter using the hub works well on another computer.

    I suspect I will need to remove all driver software and have tried that with
    the InstallShield that came with the USB network adapter but that does not
    work.

    If anybody can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

    SilverSurfer
    SilverSurfer, Jul 1, 2003

  2. SilverSurfer

    RussS Guest

    Sounds like one of those typical Muppett Edition screwy things that nobody
    ever is able to solve ... lol.
    Just a thought, but try turning off System Restore - use checklinks and
    regclean - reinstall.

    --
    RussS
    MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+

    http://www.techexams.net/
    RussS, Jul 1, 2003

  3. SilverSurfer

    Nick Guest

    Just as an added suggestion, read back through your
    instructions. Some USB devices can be really picky
    about not being plugged in during the software install,
    and some are picky in that they absolutely must be
    plugged in. I have run into this more with printers,
    but also with cameras, scanners, and even a memory card
    reader once.
    --

    Nick
    A+, MCP
    Nick, Jul 2, 2003
  4. When trying to setup a wireless network, first turn off encryption and
    get it working. Most problems are caused by the WEP encryption system.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 2, 2003
  5. SilverSurfer

    RussS Guest

    RussS, Jul 2, 2003
  6. SilverSurfer

    Nick Guest

    Is the network adapter USB 2.0? Do you have that
    support on your main board, is the support software
    installed?

    Just some ideas... good luck!
    --

    Nick
    A+, MCP
    Nick, Jul 3, 2003
  7. SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer Guest

    Hi,

    The network adapter supports both USB 1.1 and 2.0 and USB support is enabled

    The one thing that bothers me is that it works fine on one computer with
    WinMe and not at all on another.

    Which would be a good program to clean up the registry?

    TIA,

    SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer, Jul 4, 2003
  8. SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer Guest

    Hi JZ

    I would have tried that but the "Unknown USB Device" does not show up in
    System Properties but under "Power Details" found under the "Power" tab when
    you select "Properties" of the "USB Root Hub" in System Properties. And as
    such I can not select it.

    SilverSurfer

    SNIP

    SilverSurfer, Jul 7, 2003
  9. SilverSurfer

    Lee Parsons Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:46:20 GMT, "SilverSurfer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi JZ
    >
    >I would have tried that but the "Unknown USB Device" does not show up in
    >System Properties but under "Power Details" found under the "Power" tab when
    >you select "Properties" of the "USB Root Hub" in System Properties. And as
    >such I can not select it.
    >
    >SilverSurfer
    >
    >"JonnieZiggy" <> wrote in message
    >SNIP
    >

    >> You might want to try right-clicking on the "Unknown USB Device" in
    >> the "System Properties" and "Update the Driver..." Choose the "Install
    >> from a list or Specific location" and use the cd driver for that
    >> device.

    There is a Configuration program that Linksys wireless units require
    in addition to the drivers! Did you install it and use it?
    Lee Parsons, Jul 7, 2003
  10. SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer Guest

    Hi Lee,

    Yes I did install the WLAN Monitor program that came with it but since the
    USB network adapter is not recognized the program does not "see" the device
    either.

    SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer, Jul 8, 2003
  11. SilverSurfer

    Lee Parsons Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:08:26 GMT, "SilverSurfer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Lee,
    >
    >Yes I did install the WLAN Monitor program that came with it but since the
    >USB network adapter is not recognized the program does not "see" the device
    >either.
    >
    >SilverSurfer

    Okay, the only other things I can think of are that it has to be
    plugged directly into the computer's native USB ports (not to a hub),
    and that you need to be sure you have all the latest updates for your
    motherboard's drivers. Some AMD-based boards I've worked on needed a
    driver fix for the USB to function correctly.
    Lee Parsons, Jul 8, 2003
  12. SilverSurfer

    SilverSurfer Guest

    Hi Lee,

    I tried your suggestion but no dice. In desperation I swapped my Linksys
    adapter with one from D-Link that installed fine the first time around. Now
    however, I cannot use my adapter and be connected to the Internet through a
    dial-up modem at the same time. Ah well, there is always something else.

    SilverSurfer.

    ps. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    SilverSurfer, Jul 12, 2003
  13. SilverSurfer

    Lee Parsons Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:56:51 GMT, "SilverSurfer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Lee,
    >
    >I tried your suggestion but no dice. In desperation I swapped my Linksys
    >adapter with one from D-Link that installed fine the first time around. Now
    >however, I cannot use my adapter and be connected to the Internet through a
    >dial-up modem at the same time. Ah well, there is always something else.
    >
    >SilverSurfer.
    >
    >ps. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    I've had the same problem (your new one). Best of luck!

    Lee
    Lee Parsons, Jul 12, 2003