    reboot I was back up again.
    Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
    Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 25, 2006

  2. Well, its a "beta" driver, possibly be a bug you are encountering. Have
    installed the Windows Installer 3.1 redistributable? It might fix this
    problem.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 25, 2006

  3. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    After having done a bit more research, it seems I am looking more
    specifically for something to "resolve fatal error 1719". I have installed a
    patch from hp that resolves fatal error 1714 but that did nothing for my
    problem. I have only had time for a "quick google" and did not find anything
    that looked useful. I will have to look in more detail later on.........
    things to do etc.
    Cheers, Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 25, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I was able to run the HP beta driver (for use with an HP PSC 2110) without
    any problems.

    However, I also found that I was able to just point Windows to the extracted
    driver files when I plugged in the printer and it installed everything it
    needed for the printer to work.

    (I'm assuming you're using the HP beta driver x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe --- You
    can extract the files from it with a utility like Winzip.)

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, May 25, 2006
  5. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    Okay, thanks Aaron, that did work, now at least when I turn on my printer I
    dont have to go and cancel the new hardware detected everytime.
    However, the software that goes with the drivers, hp director, scanning etc
    would not install, windows could not access the file or something like that.
    So I am not yet fully functional, but obviously a lot better off than I was
    a few minutes ago.
    I will do more research when I have the time to do so, and post any findings
    here.
    Thanks, regards from Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 25, 2006
  6. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    Hmmmmm, I have tried MS Office 2007 beta and got exactly the same message,
    that windows may be running in safe mode, or installer is not installed
    correctly. Could this be something to do with the updates I did previously?
    Or is it something that all beta programs have in common?
    I was able to install avast 4.7 for xp pro 64 after the updates with no
    problems, so some things can install.
    Cheers, from Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 25, 2006
  7. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    O.K. - When I installed those drivers a while ago, the process was a bit
    involved. You launch the HP installation and after a while 'that one' calls
    up the 'Windows Installer' - this, I at least found confusing at first. You
    have to let the Windows Installer bit do it's work and finish whatever it is
    doing (and it may take a looong time, and the printer has to be turned off!
    The installer will tell you when to turn it on!) then after it is done the
    HP Installer continues and after it finnishes, you should be up and running.

    Now, I wasn't able to get the full functionality from the buttons on the
    Printer's Panel, the Scan and Copy functions will be accessible from the
    Windows Control Panel applet 'Scanners and Camera's'. I am still running
    version 12 of the Pre_Beta drivers since I am having no problems what so
    ever and the Printer's output is in every respect excellent. So I cannot
    tell if the installer's routines have changed over time, but it certainly
    was not intuitive then.

    If you want to start over, I recommend you uninstall every trace of the
    Printer and disconnect it and re-boot without the printer being there at
    all, then fire up the installation and it should all be running smooth.

    Confusion included!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2006
  8. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    Clear as mud! Due to a number of reasons I have decided to wipe the xp pro 64
    installation and I will start again from scratch, not sure exactly when
    though.
    thanks for the assistance.
    Cheers from Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 25, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    If you're getting the problem installing other apps, I think somehow your
    Windows Installer got borked up. :p

    I just use WIA for the scanner on my unit, not the HP scanning software.
    (In fact, I wish they'd give you the option to just install the basic
    drivers and leave the rest of their stuff out!) This may be an option for
    you --- If the drivers are installed, the scanner should show up in My
    Computer, and also, any program that can scan (TWAIN) should be able to use
    WIA.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, May 25, 2006
  10. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    Absolutely, clear as mud!

    But you may have to expect two installations running on top of each other
    all of a sudden.

    By the way - you can install the HP 32 bit printer supporting software ( HP
    Director and the Image Zone app's) they work fine after the driver is up and
    running.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2006
  11. Well, at last I have re-installed xp 64, I have not done any Microsoft
    updates so far.
    The programs I had problems installing last time around went smoothly this
    time, ie the HP printer drivers and MS Office 2007 beta.
    So that leads me to conclude that the problems were somehow related to the
    ms updates that I did.
    So, nearly everything that I need works and at this stage there is only one
    thing to keep me from using the 64 system full time and thats my palm
    handheld. It's where I do all my data entry for calendar and contacts, so I
    rather need the synchronization bits to work.
    I find it quite good to have 2 browsers, 1 to use for Java / flash sites and
    the 64 bit one when I dont want any of that stuff coming through.
    Do the ms type handhelds have any syncing function with this 64 bit system?
    Cheers, from Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 26, 2006
  12. MS PDAs run the Windows Mobile OS and use ActiveSync to synchronise which
    runs fine on x64.
    See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx .

    Dominic Payer, May 27, 2006
  13. Re: Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not instal

    Well, that's handy then. Perhaps I will start shopping around for another
    handheld.
    I have downloaded and installed nvidia's 64 bit driver and it is fine, my
    sound is a little "tinny" though, but thats no big deal.
    Google Earth is good as well.
    Cheers from Peter.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 27, 2006
  14. I've been getting the same error message (1719) for most of the software I
    ran on an old IBM Thinkpad. Even Word was giving me this error message.
    Eventually, I ran the Acer tool to return the computer to factory settings
    and then reinstalled some old applications, but am still having the problem
    when trying to install a printer, Palm 700p, Sony Sonicstage, etc.

    =?Utf-8?B?b25lY29hdHNhbQ==?=, Jul 18, 2006