    Any ideas as to why this is? (It seems so counter-intuitive.)

    Thanks.

    -dan

    Dan Brill, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Dan Brill

    Ryan Younger Guest

    Some PCI wireless adapters do require that you install the drivers before
    the hardware.

    I assume this was not originally seen to be an issue as most buyers buy the
    cards as upgrades, so install the software first, then open their case and
    install the card.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Dan Brill

    Guest

    On 29-Nov-2005, "Ryan Younger" <> wrote:

    > Some PCI wireless adapters do require that you install the drivers before
    > the hardware.

    Not always, in my case the driver install needed to see the card, so the
    card has to be installed first, it appears as Found new hardware, then
    asks for the driver CD or disk. So follow the mfrs instructions.
    I installed the s/w first, card didn't work, used uninstall utility, put
    the card in, everything ok, card installed, then presented available
    networks. Obviously the drivers interacted with the card, perhaps to
    aquire the cards specific MAC address.

    , Nov 29, 2005
  4. Dan Brill

    Ryan Younger Guest

    I did say 'some' PCI wireless adapters do require that you install the
    drivers before the hardware. Not all do.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Dan Brill

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Dan Brill" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Any ideas as to why this is? (It seems so counter-intuitive.)

    One of reasons is minimizing chance of human error.
    When hardware goes first, the Windows provided so-called "wizard"
    pops up, and asks where is the driver, do you want to search, or not, etc.
    Opposed to this, software first way requires from the user just to run
    setup.exe - and it does all the rest. Isn't this intuitive?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 29, 2005
  6. Dan Brill

    Pavel A. Guest

    Another reason may be that when Windows does not have a driver yet,
    it displays device name hardcoded on the card.
    This can be not what the vendor likes - and again, can confuse users.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 29, 2005
  7. Dan Brill

    Dan Brill Guest

    Thanks, everyone, for your input. I shall do as the manufacturer suggests
    (drivers before card) even though it irks me!

    -dan

    Dan Brill, Dec 3, 2005