    Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?

    =(

    Tanks a lot!

    Javier GP, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Javier GP

    Dave Guest

    I found I couldn't install AD on a stand alone. As soon as I had the pc
    plugged into a hub with another machine it installed fine. If u have 2 pc's
    you could connect them with a reverse lan lead so no need for a hub.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Javier GP

    billyw Guest

    just make a loopback connector..
    fools the PC into thinking it is on a network

    billyw, Sep 29, 2003
  4. You cannot promote a machine to be a Domain Controller if you don't have a
    network card installed.
    Or if it's installed and not connected to anything then media sensing will
    disable the network card.
    Best method would be to intall the MS Loopback Adapter.
    ----
    Thanks,
    Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

    When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
    knowledge.

    --------------------
    From: "Dave" <>
    Subject: Re: Install AD, DNS, DHCP on an isolated stand alone pc?
    Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:05:15 +0100

    Rakesh Chanana [MSFT], Sep 29, 2003
  5. Javier GP

    Herb Martin Guest

    > My goal is achieve the labs for the MCSE track courses
    > 2151-4,1561-2 but when a xecute DCPROMO for AD always
    > fails.
    > Is it possible to install AD in my stand alone isolated pc?

    For a new domain it is. You cannot "add a DC" to a Domain unless
    another DC is accessible.

    You need IP, and DNS but the DNS can run on that same machine
    and in fact DCPromo will help you install it as part of the process if you
    don't have one.

    If you can install Win2000 server, you can do a DCPromo on that server
    in any practical case you can find. (Even the disk space requirement is
    easily bypassed -- I think it asks for 1 Gig but you only need about 70-80
    Meg free.)

    Oh, and the drive for SysVol MUST be NTFS but worst case you can
    convert your current volume.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Javier GP

    Herb Martin Guest

    > I found I couldn't install AD on a stand alone. As soon as I had the pc
    > plugged into a hub with another machine it installed fine. If u have 2

    pc's
    > you could connect them with a reverse lan lead so no need for a hub.

    Good point -- the network must initialize and many NICs will not do so
    with nothing plugged into them.

    Note the requirement for "IP" -- IP must initialize. You can do this by
    using a card that avoids "link detect", by plugging into a hub, or the
    (always works) solution of manually adding the MSLoopback device.

    MSLoopback is the only "NIC" listed under Microsoft as a vendor when
    you do a MANUAL hardware install.

    "Stand-alone" is fine; but IP (initialized) is required.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Sep 30, 2003