Install 32 bit Version of XP Pro after x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to dual
    core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try uninstalling
    the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full copies
    of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on the
    new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    from there how do I get the dual boot to work?

    btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=, Dec 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. I read post "How to restore dual boot of xp 32 and win 64". Will this work in
    this case?


    "CBNelson" wrote:

    > I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to dual
    > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try uninstalling
    > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full copies
    > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on the
    > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >
    > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=, Dec 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. You can tranfer files and settings only. Apps have to be reinstalled.

    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Oh, and is there a way to transfer the settings and insalled programs to
    > the
    > 32 bit version to keep from installing them twice?
    >
    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 14, 2006
    #3
  4. Yes.

    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I read post "How to restore dual boot of xp 32 and win 64". Will this work
    >in
    > this case?
    >
    >
    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 14, 2006
    #4
  5. If it concerns the location of the boot files, probably - yes. If it was
    authored by John Barnes - most assuredly!

    Tony. . .


    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I read post "How to restore dual boot of xp 32 and win 64". Will this work

    in
    > this case?
    >
    >
    > "CBNelson" wrote:
    >
    > > I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to

    dual
    > > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However

    my
    > > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try

    uninstalling
    > > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full

    copies
    > > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that

    I
    > > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on

    the
    > > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive.

    Now
    > > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    > >
    > > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    Tony Sperling, Dec 14, 2006
    #5
  6. As I have it, your BIOS has more clout than the 'master'/'slave' connection.

    You want 1 MBR on the system to handle both OS's - ordinarily you install
    the oldest first, but in your situation, I think you can do it one way or
    the other, but you have to put the boot files from the 32bit OS onto the
    system drive - or, if you change system drives, put the boot files from the
    64bit OS onto what will then become the new system drive?

    Tony(hopeIdidn'tscrewupthelogic). . .


    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to

    dual
    > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try

    uninstalling
    > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full

    copies
    > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on

    the
    > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >
    > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    Tony Sperling, Dec 14, 2006
    #6
  7. Thanks,
    After Installing and implementing Windows Small Buisness Server 2003 (with
    only 4 hours of a network engineer's time to tidy up) for my company, this
    should be a piece of cake. {Yeah Right}!


    "Tony Sperling" wrote:

    > As I have it, your BIOS has more clout than the 'master'/'slave' connection.
    >
    > You want 1 MBR on the system to handle both OS's - ordinarily you install
    > the oldest first, but in your situation, I think you can do it one way or
    > the other, but you have to put the boot files from the 32bit OS onto the
    > system drive - or, if you change system drives, put the boot files from the
    > 64bit OS onto what will then become the new system drive?
    >
    > Tony(hopeIdidn'tscrewupthelogic). . .
    >
    >
    > "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to

    > dual
    > > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    > > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try

    > uninstalling
    > > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full

    > copies
    > > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    > > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on

    > the
    > > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    > > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    > >
    > > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

    >
    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=, Dec 14, 2006
    #7
  8. As I understand it the 64 bit o/s boot files are backward compatible with the
    the 32 bit o/s. So... If my system drive has the 64 bit boot files and I boot
    to the 32 bit o/s it should work. Or am I way off here.

    "Tony Sperling" wrote:

    > As I have it, your BIOS has more clout than the 'master'/'slave' connection.
    >
    > You want 1 MBR on the system to handle both OS's - ordinarily you install
    > the oldest first, but in your situation, I think you can do it one way or
    > the other, but you have to put the boot files from the 32bit OS onto the
    > system drive - or, if you change system drives, put the boot files from the
    > 64bit OS onto what will then become the new system drive?
    >
    > Tony(hopeIdidn'tscrewupthelogic). . .
    >
    >
    > "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to

    > dual
    > > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    > > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try

    > uninstalling
    > > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full

    > copies
    > > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    > > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on

    > the
    > > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    > > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    > >
    > > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

    >
    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=, Dec 14, 2006
    #8
  9. That may depend what you mean, but as seen from the booting sub-system they
    should be compatible, they just have to all be on the system drive so that
    the system can see them and arrange for a boot-menu that you can choose
    from. This means the compatibility happens before any OS has booted, the
    BIOS is still in command.

    The BIOS programs generally don't have to be very intelligent - they must be
    small, fast and to-the-point, so install several OS's in parallel, and you
    could easily confuse the BIOS about the number of systems and which one is
    it that you like to boot at any given time? (It doesn't read your mind very
    well!) You may have to do some tricks - like editing, to have the combined
    knowledge in place in order that the BIOS can see what is going on, and the
    different systems do not confuse each other. This inconvenience, the
    installer takes care of for you, if you install in the recommended order -
    oldest first.

    If you are in a NewsReader like OE-e (much recommended) you can search for
    contributions of the real experts here: 'Darrell Gorter', 'John Barnes'
    and 'Charlie Russel' (just to name a few) what the rest of us know about
    this issue, we more-or-less picked up from them.

    Tony. . .


    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > As I understand it the 64 bit o/s boot files are backward compatible with

    the
    > the 32 bit o/s. So... If my system drive has the 64 bit boot files and I

    boot
    > to the 32 bit o/s it should work. Or am I way off here.
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
    >
    > > As I have it, your BIOS has more clout than the 'master'/'slave'

    connection.
    > >
    > > You want 1 MBR on the system to handle both OS's - ordinarily you

    install
    > > the oldest first, but in your situation, I think you can do it one way

    or
    > > the other, but you have to put the boot files from the 32bit OS onto the
    > > system drive - or, if you change system drives, put the boot files from

    the
    > > 64bit OS onto what will then become the new system drive?
    > >
    > > Tony(hopeIdidn'tscrewupthelogic). . .
    > >
    > >
    > > "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to

    > > dual
    > > > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However

    my
    > > > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try

    > > uninstalling
    > > > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full

    > > copies
    > > > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are

    that I
    > > > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s

    on
    > > the
    > > > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive.

    Now
    > > > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    > > >
    > > > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

    > >
    > >
    > >
    Tony Sperling, Dec 14, 2006
    #9
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't forget that you must first install the nVidia firewall if you passed
    that step when first installing. Then remove from Add/Remove programs.

    I would not change the Master/Slave order of the drives. If the current
    drive is Master, install the new drive as slave.

    With the Master out of the system (unplug the power), most BIOS's will
    automatically set the slave as first HDD in boot priority. If not, you may
    need to set this. Install your new system on the slave. Replug the master.
    Reset boot priority to have the master the first HDD.

    Easiest way from there, you should boot into x64. Go into System
    Properties, Advanced / Startup and edit your boot.ini from there.
    Duplicate the entry under (operating systems) change your description and
    change rdisk to 1
    Save the boot.ini and then you can change the timeout and default os to your
    desires.

    This assumes that both drives have 1 partition each. Also if you are
    uncomfortable editing the boot.ini, make a copy of it first. You can always
    change boot priority and boot into the other system to fix it if necessary.
    Good luck.


    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I read post "How to restore dual boot of xp 32 and win 64". Will this work
    >in
    > this case?
    >
    >
    > "CBNelson" wrote:
    >
    >> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to
    >> dual
    >> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    >> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >> uninstalling
    >> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    >> copies
    >> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    >> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s on
    >> the
    >> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    >> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>
    >> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    John Barnes, Dec 14, 2006
    #10
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave, then
    use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the new
    drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That way
    the installer will set up the dual boot for you.

    Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release; however,
    I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot loader.
    Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or Longhorn/Vista
    and, the situation changes.

    There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the original
    HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that somehow the
    installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the first; 2) you
    want to use something other than the XP boot manager.

    That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?


    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User


    "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to
    >dual
    > core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However
    > my
    > wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    > uninstalling
    > the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    > copies
    > of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    > that I
    > install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s
    > on the
    > new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive.
    > Now
    > from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >
    > btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    Tom Ferguson, Dec 14, 2006
    #11
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    Theo Guest

    Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64
    already installed because it cannot recognize the newer
    operating system. If Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed
    (the older OS) and you then install Win x64 (the newer OS)
    on a separate drive or partition, Win x64 does recognize the
    older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual booting.

    Tom Ferguson wrote:
    > I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave, then
    > use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the new
    > drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That way
    > the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >
    > Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release; however,
    > I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot loader.
    > Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or Longhorn/Vista
    > and, the situation changes.
    >
    > There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the original
    > HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that somehow the
    > installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the first; 2) you
    > want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >
    > That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    > matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    >
    > "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to
    >> dual
    >> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
    >> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >> uninstalling
    >> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    >> copies
    >> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
    >> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s
    >> on the
    >> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
    >> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>
    >> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

    >
    Theo, Dec 14, 2006
    #12
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
    assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.

    I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had,
    you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then,
    when that installation is complete or at some future time, install
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a
    drive (real or logical) that does not contain another operating system.
    When you have finished the installation of the 32 bit system, you will
    have a dual booting system using the Windows XP boot manager.

    I have done it more than once.

    To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to the
    usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    release.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User



    "Theo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    > installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If
    > Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then
    > install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win
    > x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual
    > booting.
    >
    > Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
    >> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That
    >> way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>
    >> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot
    >> loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
    >> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>
    >> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>
    >> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> MSMVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >>
    >> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded
    >>> to dual
    >>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>> However my
    >>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>> uninstalling
    >>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    >>> copies
    >>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    >>> that I
    >>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
    >>> o/s on the
    >>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
    >>> drive. Now
    >>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>
    >>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

    >>
    Tom Ferguson, Dec 15, 2006
    #13
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible to
    allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten and the
    ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and therefore you
    cannot boot into X64.


    "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    news:OM317y$...
    > Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    > topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
    > assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.
    >
    > I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not possible
    > _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had, you would
    > have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then, when that
    > installation is complete or at some future time, install Windows XP Pro 32
    > bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a drive (real or logical)
    > that does not contain another operating system. When you have finished the
    > installation of the 32 bit system, you will have a dual booting system
    > using the Windows XP boot manager.
    >
    > I have done it more than once.
    >
    > To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to the
    > usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of release.
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    >
    >
    > "Theo" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If Win
    >> XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then install
    >> Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win x64 does
    >> recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual booting.
    >>
    >> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave, then
    >>> use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the new
    >>> drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That way
    >>> the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>>
    >>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release; however,
    >>> I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot loader.
    >>> Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or Longhorn/Vista
    >>> and, the situation changes.
    >>>
    >>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the original
    >>> HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that somehow the
    >>> installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the first; 2) you
    >>> want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>>
    >>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>> MSMVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to
    >>>> dual
    >>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However
    >>>> my
    >>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>> uninstalling
    >>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    >>>> copies
    >>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that
    >>>> I
    >>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s
    >>>> on the
    >>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive.
    >>>> Now
    >>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>
    >>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>

    >
    John Barnes, Dec 15, 2006
    #14
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.

    So, when I took some time yesterday to:

    1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
    2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
    drive;
    3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
    files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
    4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
    system;

    and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
    loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
    "usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.

    As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.

    Is it that you simply do not believe me?

    I suggest you try it.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible
    > to allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are
    > overwritten and the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize
    > X64 and therefore you cannot boot into X64.
    >
    >
    > "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    > news:OM317y$...
    >> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    >> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and
    >> well-founded assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly
    >> correct.
    >>
    >> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    >> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you
    >> had, you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64
    >> and then, when that installation is complete or at some future time,
    >> install Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must
    >> select a drive (real or logical) that does not contain another
    >> operating system. When you have finished the installation of the 32
    >> bit system, you will have a dual booting system using the Windows XP
    >> boot manager.
    >>
    >> I have done it more than once.
    >>
    >> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
    >> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    >> release.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> MSMVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system.
    >>> If Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you
    >>> then install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or
    >>> partition, Win x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the
    >>> Boot.Ini for dual booting.
    >>>
    >>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >>>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
    >>>> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected.
    >>>> That way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>>>
    >>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >>>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same
    >>>> boot loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
    >>>> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>>>
    >>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >>>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >>>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >>>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>>>
    >>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Tom
    >>>> MSMVP
    >>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I
    >>>>> upgraded to dual
    >>>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>>>> However my
    >>>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>>> uninstalling
    >>>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two
    >>>>> full copies
    >>>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    >>>>> that I
    >>>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
    >>>>> o/s on the
    >>>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
    >>>>> drive. Now
    >>>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>>

    >>

    >
    Tom Ferguson, Dec 15, 2006
    #15
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    Theo Guest

    I guess you're just really lucky. While the Beta was
    available and after RTM, there were many who tried
    installing x64 first and then x86 who ended up without the
    capability to dual boot initially. Charlie Russel posted a
    web page about dual booting that includes information on
    order of installation.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    And I did try it, but it didn't work your way!



    Tom Ferguson wrote:
    > How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
    >
    > So, when I took some time yesterday to:
    >
    > 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
    > 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
    > drive;
    > 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
    > files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
    > 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
    > system;
    >
    > and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
    > loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
    > "usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
    >
    > As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
    >
    > Is it that you simply do not believe me?
    >
    > I suggest you try it.
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible
    >> to allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are
    >> overwritten and the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize
    >> X64 and therefore you cannot boot into X64.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >> news:OM317y$...
    >>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    >>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and
    >>> well-founded assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly
    >>> correct.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    >>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you
    >>> had, you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64
    >>> and then, when that installation is complete or at some future time,
    >>> install Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must
    >>> select a drive (real or logical) that does not contain another
    >>> operating system. When you have finished the installation of the 32
    >>> bit system, you will have a dual booting system using the Windows XP
    >>> boot manager.
    >>>
    >>> I have done it more than once.
    >>>
    >>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
    >>> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    >>> release.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>> MSMVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >>>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If
    >>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then
    >>>> install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win
    >>>> x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual
    >>>> booting.
    >>>>
    >>>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >>>>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
    >>>>> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected.
    >>>>> That way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >>>>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same
    >>>>> boot loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
    >>>>> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >>>>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >>>>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >>>>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tom
    >>>>> MSMVP
    >>>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I
    >>>>>> upgraded to dual
    >>>>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>>>>> However my
    >>>>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>>>> uninstalling
    >>>>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two
    >>>>>> full copies
    >>>>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    >>>>>> that I
    >>>>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
    >>>>>> o/s on the
    >>>>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
    >>>>>> drive. Now
    >>>>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >
    Theo, Dec 15, 2006
    #16
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Not to doubt your success, let's speculate why you are able to do so and
    most are not.

    Perhaps Microsoft started including the newer version of ntldr on X86 disks
    at some point after the release of X64. Those with older versions of XP
    won't work. Mine version of XP86 was released in December of 2004 with SP2
    included and version of ntldr is dated Wednesday, ‎August ‎04, ‎2004,
    â€â€Ž4:00:00 AM.

    What is the date on the ntldr file on your XP86 in the I386 folder?

    The other possibility is Microsoft in later versions included a date check
    in the install program that would bypass rewriting the ntldr file if the one
    present is a later version. This I would assume unlikely, but possible.


    "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
    >
    > So, when I took some time yesterday to:
    >
    > 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
    > 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
    > drive;
    > 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot files)
    > and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
    > 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
    > system;
    >
    > and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot loader,
    > I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the "usual
    > rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
    >
    > As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
    >
    > Is it that you simply do not believe me?
    >
    > I suggest you try it.
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible to
    >> allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten and
    >> the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and therefore
    >> you cannot boot into X64.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >> news:OM317y$...
    >>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    >>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
    >>> assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    >>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had,
    >>> you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then,
    >>> when that installation is complete or at some future time, install
    >>> Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a
    >>> drive (real or logical) that does not contain another operating system.
    >>> When you have finished the installation of the 32 bit system, you will
    >>> have a dual booting system using the Windows XP boot manager.
    >>>
    >>> I have done it more than once.
    >>>
    >>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to the
    >>> usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    >>> release.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>> MSMVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >>>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If
    >>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then
    >>>> install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win
    >>>> x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual
    >>>> booting.
    >>>>
    >>>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >>>>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
    >>>>> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That
    >>>>> way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >>>>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot
    >>>>> loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
    >>>>> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >>>>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >>>>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >>>>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tom
    >>>>> MSMVP
    >>>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded
    >>>>>> to dual
    >>>>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>>>>> However my
    >>>>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>>>> uninstalling
    >>>>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    >>>>>> copies
    >>>>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    >>>>>> that I
    >>>>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s
    >>>>>> on the
    >>>>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive.
    >>>>>> Now
    >>>>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >
    John Barnes, Dec 15, 2006
    #17
  18. If it does it, perhaps he also used Acronis to create a partition manager.

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Not to doubt your success, let's speculate why you are able to do so and
    > most are not.
    >
    > Perhaps Microsoft started including the newer version of ntldr on X86
    > disks at some point after the release of X64. Those with older versions
    > of XP won't work. Mine version of XP86 was released in December of 2004
    > with SP2 included and version of ntldr is dated Wednesday, ‎August ‎04,
    > ‎2004, â€â€Ž4:00:00 AM.
    >
    > What is the date on the ntldr file on your XP86 in the I386 folder?
    >
    > The other possibility is Microsoft in later versions included a date check
    > in the install program that would bypass rewriting the ntldr file if the
    > one present is a later version. This I would assume unlikely, but
    > possible.
    >
    >
    > "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
    >>
    >> So, when I took some time yesterday to:
    >>
    >> 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
    >> 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
    >> drive;
    >> 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot files)
    >> and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
    >> 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
    >> system;
    >>
    >> and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot loader,
    >> I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the "usual
    >> rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
    >>
    >> As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
    >>
    >> Is it that you simply do not believe me?
    >>
    >> I suggest you try it.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> MSMVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible to
    >>> allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten and
    >>> the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and therefore
    >>> you cannot boot into X64.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:OM317y$...
    >>>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    >>>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
    >>>> assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.
    >>>>
    >>>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    >>>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had,
    >>>> you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then,
    >>>> when that installation is complete or at some future time, install
    >>>> Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a
    >>>> drive (real or logical) that does not contain another operating system.
    >>>> When you have finished the installation of the 32 bit system, you will
    >>>> have a dual booting system using the Windows XP boot manager.
    >>>>
    >>>> I have done it more than once.
    >>>>
    >>>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
    >>>> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    >>>> release.
    >>>>
    >>>> Tom
    >>>> MSMVP
    >>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >>>>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If
    >>>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then
    >>>>> install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win
    >>>>> x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual
    >>>>> booting.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>>>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >>>>>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
    >>>>>> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That
    >>>>>> way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >>>>>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot
    >>>>>> loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
    >>>>>> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >>>>>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >>>>>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >>>>>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>>>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Tom
    >>>>>> MSMVP
    >>>>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>> news:...
    >>>>>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded
    >>>>>>> to dual
    >>>>>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>>>>>> However my
    >>>>>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>>>>> uninstalling
    >>>>>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
    >>>>>>> copies
    >>>>>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    >>>>>>> that I
    >>>>>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
    >>>>>>> o/s on the
    >>>>>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
    >>>>>>> drive. Now
    >>>>>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >
    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 15, 2006
    #18
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Except that he has XP dual boot when done. If he used Acronis to make the
    older ntldr install on another than the system drive, the boot.ini on the
    system drive wouldn't be updated with both systems.


    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If it does it, perhaps he also used Acronis to create a partition manager.
    >
    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Not to doubt your success, let's speculate why you are able to do so and
    >> most are not.
    >>
    >> Perhaps Microsoft started including the newer version of ntldr on X86
    >> disks at some point after the release of X64. Those with older versions
    >> of XP won't work. Mine version of XP86 was released in December of 2004
    >> with SP2 included and version of ntldr is dated Wednesday, ‎August ‎04,
    >> ‎2004, â€â€Ž4:00:00 AM.
    >>
    >> What is the date on the ntldr file on your XP86 in the I386 folder?
    >>
    >> The other possibility is Microsoft in later versions included a date
    >> check in the install program that would bypass rewriting the ntldr file
    >> if the one present is a later version. This I would assume unlikely, but
    >> possible.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
    >>>
    >>> So, when I took some time yesterday to:
    >>>
    >>> 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
    >>> 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
    >>> drive;
    >>> 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
    >>> files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
    >>> 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
    >>> system;
    >>>
    >>> and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
    >>> loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
    >>> "usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
    >>>
    >>> As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
    >>>
    >>> Is it that you simply do not believe me?
    >>>
    >>> I suggest you try it.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>> MSMVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible
    >>>> to allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten
    >>>> and the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and
    >>>> therefore you cannot boot into X64.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:OM317y$...
    >>>>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
    >>>>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and
    >>>>> well-founded assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly
    >>>>> correct.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    >>>>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had,
    >>>>> you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and
    >>>>> then, when that installation is complete or at some future time,
    >>>>> install Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must
    >>>>> select a drive (real or logical) that does not contain another
    >>>>> operating system. When you have finished the installation of the 32
    >>>>> bit system, you will have a dual booting system using the Windows XP
    >>>>> boot manager.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I have done it more than once.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
    >>>>> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    >>>>> release.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tom
    >>>>> MSMVP
    >>>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >>>>>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If
    >>>>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then
    >>>>>> install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win
    >>>>>> x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual
    >>>>>> booting.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>>>>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >>>>>>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
    >>>>>>> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected.
    >>>>>>> That way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >>>>>>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same
    >>>>>>> boot loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
    >>>>>>> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >>>>>>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >>>>>>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >>>>>>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>>>>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Tom
    >>>>>>> MSMVP
    >>>>>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>>> news:...
    >>>>>>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded
    >>>>>>>> to dual
    >>>>>>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>>>>>>> However my
    >>>>>>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>>>>>> uninstalling
    >>>>>>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two
    >>>>>>>> full copies
    >>>>>>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
    >>>>>>>> that I
    >>>>>>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
    >>>>>>>> o/s on the
    >>>>>>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
    >>>>>>>> drive. Now
    >>>>>>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >
    John Barnes, Dec 15, 2006
    #19
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Q0JOZWxzb24=?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I have read the subsequent replies from Theo, John, Colin, and John
    (second reply). Here I add some information that might be useful in
    understanding what is and is not happening.

    Windows XP 32 bit is SP 2, Windows XP 64 bit is SP1. So, as I am
    confident you all know, both are at the same "patch level" despite the
    different SP designation.

    After installation of XP 64 bit, ntdetect.com and ntldr are dated
    3/25/2005. After installing XP Pro 32 bit, the dates are the same.

    Not only do both systems appear on the XP boot menu, each will boot
    properly when selected. If you later install Vista (either 32 or 64 bit
    or one after the other), Vista will set up its boot loader with a
    reference to earlier OSs. Selecting that during boot will cause the
    Vista boot loader to pass control to the XP loader just as happens if
    you set it all up installing strictly in the order of issue.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User







    "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
    >
    > So, when I took some time yesterday to:
    >
    > 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my
    > computers;
    > 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
    > drive;
    > 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
    > files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
    > 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still
    > as system;
    >
    > and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
    > loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
    > "usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
    >
    > As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
    >
    > Is it that you simply do not believe me?
    >
    > I suggest you try it.
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible
    >> to allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are
    >> overwritten and the ntldr file from the X86 install does not
    >> recognize X64 and therefore you cannot boot into X64.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >> news:OM317y$...
    >>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on
    >>> the topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and
    >>> well-founded assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly
    >>> correct.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
    >>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you
    >>> had, you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64
    >>> and then, when that installation is complete or at some future time,
    >>> install Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must
    >>> select a drive (real or logical) that does not contain another
    >>> operating system. When you have finished the installation of the 32
    >>> bit system, you will have a dual booting system using the Windows XP
    >>> boot manager.
    >>>
    >>> I have done it more than once.
    >>>
    >>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
    >>> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
    >>> release.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>> MSMVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Theo" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
    >>>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system.
    >>>> If Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you
    >>>> then install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or
    >>>> partition, Win x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the
    >>>> Boot.Ini for dual booting.
    >>>>
    >>>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
    >>>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
    >>>>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up
    >>>>> the new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive
    >>>>> connected. That way the installer will set up the dual boot for
    >>>>> you.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
    >>>>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same
    >>>>> boot loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000
    >>>>> or Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
    >>>>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
    >>>>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
    >>>>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot
    >>>>> manager.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
    >>>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tom
    >>>>> MSMVP
    >>>>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "CBNelson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I
    >>>>>> upgraded to dual
    >>>>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
    >>>>>> However my
    >>>>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
    >>>>>> uninstalling
    >>>>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two
    >>>>>> full copies
    >>>>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts
    >>>>>> are that I
    >>>>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
    >>>>>> o/s on the
    >>>>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
    >>>>>> drive. Now
    >>>>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.
    >>>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >
    Tom Ferguson, Dec 15, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?SiBFIEZsb3Jlcw==?=

    Trail version expired, can't install 32 bit version now.

    =?Utf-8?B?SiBFIEZsb3Jlcw==?=, Feb 17, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    430
    John Barnes
    Feb 17, 2006
  2. cat5

    xp pro install after x64

    cat5, Sep 25, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    335
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Sep 25, 2006
  3. Jon
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    422
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    May 29, 2007
  4. Mark
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    367
  5. Mark
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    362
Loading...

Share This Page