    Let me know if you need any more info.

    Thanks!
    John
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBELg==?=, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Yes, it's a 16 bit installer. There's no direct workaround, except to
    manually do what the installer would do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Re: Install 32 bit application on Win 2003 64 bit Enterprise serve

    That's what I suspected. I did find a post that referenced a product called
    WinINSTALL LE that allows you to create a msi file after you install the
    product to a clean machine. From the post, it seemed to work well for
    several people. I downloaded an eval to see if it will do what we want.

    Thanks for the reply!
    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBELg==?=, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Re: Install 32 bit application on Win 2003 64 bit Enterprise serve

    Should do what you need. There are MS tools to do it as well, but they're a
    bit less helpful, I believe.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    John D. wrote:
    > That's what I suspected. I did find a post that referenced a product
    > called WinINSTALL LE that allows you to create a msi file after you
    > install the product to a clean machine. From the post, it seemed to work
    > well for several people. I downloaded an eval to see if it will do what
    > we want.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply!
    > John
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, it's a 16 bit installer. There's no direct workaround, except to
    >> manually do what the installer would do.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>

    >> John D. wrote:
    >>> I am trying to install an ODBC driver for our CRM application onto our
    >>> new win 2003 64 bit enterprise edition server. It is a 32 bit
    >>> application but I suspect that the installer is possibly 16 bit or at
    >>> least part of it. When I try to install, it says "the image file is
    >>> valid, but is for machine type other than the current machine." I get
    >>> a little more detailed message if I try to run under the cmd prompt
    >>> basically says it can't run on 64 bit & to contact the vendor for a
    >>> newer version. Well, there isn't a newer version of this driver.
    >>>
    >>> I came across the following article:
    >>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...g64/winprog64/running_32_bit_applications.asp
    >>>
    >>> It says that it does include support for some older installers. The
    >>> installer that I am trying to run is Installshield 3.00.101.0. Does
    >>> anyone know a way for me to get this to install or am I stuck not
    >>> installing it?
    >>>
    >>> Let me know if you need any more info.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> John
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Re: Install 32 bit application on Win 2003 64 bit Enterprise serve

    Charlie,
    What MS tools are out there that would do this as well? I would be
    interested to see what they have to offer.

    I installed the WinINstall LE eval & tried it out. It worked great! Took
    about 5 minutes to have the new msi created & I was able to install the ODBC
    driver with no problems.

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBELg==?=, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Re: Install 32 bit application on Win 2003 64 bit Enterprise serve

    Great. Glad to hear you have it up and running.

    Microsoft tools? I honestly don't remember the name. I know they had
    something, probably in the reskit, that would track the changes made during
    an install. My release manager used it to solve a problem we had at one
    point, but I never really played with the tool. I just remember her rather
    pithy comments about its overall value and user hostile nature. But it did
    get us out of the hole for all that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64