  1. With Outlook I was able to cut a link out of one message and paste it
    into one I am composing. That doesn't seem to work with Mozilla. Is
    there a way to do it?
    William W. Plummer, Jul 14, 2004

  2. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Moz Champion wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> With Outlook I was able to cut a link out of one message and paste it
    >> into one I am composing. That doesn't seem to work with Mozilla. Is
    >> there a way to do it?

    > works fine here.

    Here's an example: http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/

    was copied (control-C) from the address bar in Mozilla and pasted
    (control-V) into this message. But it is only text, not a link. So a
    reader can't click on it to go to the site.
    William W. Plummer, Jul 14, 2004
  4. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> With Outlook I was able to cut a link out of one message and paste it
    >>> into one I am composing. That doesn't seem to work with Mozilla. Is
    >>> there a way to do it?

    >> works fine here.
    >>

    > Here's an example: http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/
    >
    > was copied (control-C) from the address bar in Mozilla and pasted
    > (control-V) into this message. But it is only text, not a link. So a
    > reader can't click on it to go to the site.

    LOL

    You've been misled by the 'trick' most browsers and email programs use to convert links!

    When you type it in, does it show as a link? NO, it doesnt.
    So when you copy it in, does it show as a link? NO, it doesnt.

    But SEND it, and receive it, and lo and behold BOTH are links!
    go ahead
    type any url of your choosing in a reply, it wont show as a link when you type it. Then paste in a url copied from somewhere else, it wont show as a link either. But send the message and then read it, aha!

    For example
    http://this.is.not/a.link.but/looks.like.one <--- I just typed that in but when you read this message it will show as a link, even tho it really isnt one.
    or
    http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/ <--- I copied that in from another post and while it doesnt show as a link to me (when composing the reply or new message) on reciept it WILL be a link and WILL lead to the site

    Its slight of hand
    http://you.can.make.any.text.into.a.link.simply.by.prefacing.it.with.http/
    it wont look like a link when you type it, but will on receipt.
    note you cant use spaces in a link, because spaces are not allowed in urls.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Moz Champion wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> works fine here.
    >>>

    >> Here's an example: http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >> was copied (control-C) from the address bar in Mozilla and pasted
    >> (control-V) into this message. But it is only text, not a link. So a
    >> reader can't click on it to go to the site.

    > LOL
    >
    > You've been misled by the 'trick' most browsers and email programs use
    > to convert links!
    >
    > When you type it in, does it show as a link? NO, it doesnt.
    > So when you copy it in, does it show as a link? NO, it doesnt.
    >
    > But SEND it, and receive it, and lo and behold BOTH are links!
    > go ahead
    > type any url of your choosing in a reply, it wont show as a link when
    > you type it. Then paste in a url copied from somewhere else, it wont
    > show as a link either. But send the message and then read it, aha!
    >
    > For example
    > http://this.is.not/a.link.but/looks.like.one <--- I just typed that
    > in but when you read this message it will show as a link, even tho it
    > really isnt one.
    > or
    > http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/ <--- I copied that in from
    > another post and while it doesnt show as a link to me (when composing
    > the reply or new message) on reciept it WILL be a link and WILL lead to
    > the site
    >
    > Its slight of hand
    > http://you.can.make.any.text.into.a.link.simply.by.prefacing.it.with.http/
    > it wont look like a link when you type it, but will on receipt.
    > note you cant use spaces in a link, because spaces are not allowed in urls.

    AAAhhhaaa. It did indeed come through as a usable link as you
    predicted. I am used to Outlook which displays anything that looks
    like a link as a "link" (underlined, blue) while typing it in. Is there
    any chance this feature could be implemented in Mozilla? In fact, it
    would be helpful to verify that a typed-in link actually points to
    something usable on the fly, also. That would catch errors. Thanks for
    your help.
    William W. Plummer, Jul 14, 2004
  6. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote: Moz Champion wrote:

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    Moz Champion wrote:

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    With Outlook I was able to cut a link out of one message and paste it into one I am composing.&nbsp; That doesn't seem to work with Mozilla.&nbsp; Is there a way to do it?

    works fine here.

    Here's an example:&nbsp;&nbsp; http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/

    was copied (control-C) from the address bar in Mozilla and pasted (control-V) into this message.&nbsp; But it is only text, not a link.&nbsp; So a reader can't click on it to go to the site.

    LOL

    You've been misled by the 'trick' most browsers and email programs use to convert links!

    When you type it in, does it show as a link? NO, it doesnt.
    So when you copy it in, does it show as a link? NO, it doesnt.

    But SEND it, and receive it, and lo and behold BOTH are links!
    go ahead
    type&nbsp; any url of your choosing in a reply, it wont show as a link when you type it. Then paste in a url copied from somewhere else, it wont show as a link either. But send the message and then read it, aha!

    For example
    http://this.is.not/a.link.but/looks.like.one&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;--- I just typed that in but when you read this message it will show as a link, even tho it really isnt one.
    or
    http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;--- I copied that in from another post and while it doesnt show as a link to me (when composing the reply or new message) on reciept it WILL be a link and WILL lead to the site

    Its slight of hand
    http://you.can.make.any.text.into.a.link.simply.by.prefacing.it.with.http/
    it wont look like a link when you type it, but will on receipt.
    note you cant use spaces in a link, because spaces are not allowed in urls.

    AAAhhhaaa.&nbsp;&nbsp; It did indeed come through as a usable link as you predicted.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am used to Outlook which displays anything that looks like a link as a "link" (underlined, blue) while typing it in.&nbsp; Is there any chance this feature could be implemented in Mozilla?&nbsp; In fact, it would be helpful to verify that a typed-in link actually points to something usable on the fly, also.&nbsp; That would catch errors.&nbsp; Thanks for your help.

    Isnt that rather an oxymoron?

    In OE you can type http://this.is.not.a.link&nbsp; and it will look like a link (but isnt obviously).&nbsp; It doesnt verify that it IS a link.&nbsp; In Mozilla it will be rendered as a link (but it still isnt one) on receipt.

    Its like any other preface
    mailto:

    How do you propose that Mozilla 'verify' those?

    another means of sending links is using the HTML Editor

    With the HTML Editor you can choose ANY text and make it into a link and you have to specify the url when doing so

    This is a fake link with spaces (no spaces in urls)

    Verifying links on the fly would mean you couldnt do it while off-line for one

    Again, there is really NO link in a plain text message,&nbsp; its simply slight of hand, its all in how the email program reads it.&nbsp; Its like a smiley :)&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;--- if you are using Mozilla that appears as a smiley (if you have such enabled) although all it really is is a colon : followed by a ) end bracket. There is no Smiley there at all really

    Note: this message sent in html as an example.

    -- Mozilla Champion UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004
  7. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
> [...]

    > Its like any other preface
    > mailto:
    >
    > How do you propose that Mozilla 'verify' those?
    >
    > another means of sending links is using the HTML Editor
    >
    > With the HTML Editor you can choose ANY text and make it into a link and
    > you have to specify the url when doing so
    >
    > This is a fake link with spaces (no spaces in urls)
    > <http://not.a.valid.link>
    >
    > Verifying links on the fly would mean you couldnt do it while off-line
    > for one
    >
    > Again, there is really NO link in a plain text message, its simply
    > slight of hand, its all in how the email program reads it. Its like a
    > smiley :) <--- if you are using Mozilla that appears as a smiley (if
    > you have such enabled) although all it really is is a colon : followed
    > by a ) end bracket. There is no Smiley there at all really
    >

    > Note: this message sent in html as an example.

    Opps

    :)

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004
  8. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/14/2004 10:16 AM, William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> With Outlook I was able to cut a link out of one message and paste it
    >>> into one I am composing. That doesn't seem to work with Mozilla. Is
    >>> there a way to do it?

    >> works fine here.
    >>

    > Here's an example: http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/
    >
    > was copied (control-C) from the address bar in Mozilla and pasted
    > (control-V) into this message. But it is only text, not a link. So a
    > reader can't click on it to go to the site.

    I click on it just fine; and FF opened up and went to
    http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/

    ;-)

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    .BRIAN., Jul 14, 2004
  9. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/14/2004 12:58 PM, William W. Plummer wrote:

> [...]

    [snip]

    >>> Here's an example: http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org/
    >>>
    >>> was copied (control-C) from the address bar in Mozilla and pasted
    >>> (control-V) into this message. But it is only text, not a link. So
    >>> a reader can't click on it to go to the site.

    [snip]

    > AAAhhhaaa. It did indeed come through as a usable link as you
    > predicted. I am used to Outlook which displays anything that looks
    > like a link as a "link" (underlined, blue) while typing it in. Is there
    > any chance this feature could be implemented in Mozilla? In fact, it
    > would be helpful to verify that a typed-in link actually points to
    > something usable on the fly, also. That would catch errors. Thanks for
    > your help.

    If you copied and pasted it from your address bar, don't you already
    know its a valid URL? ;-)

    --
    Brian
    .BRIAN., Jul 15, 2004