Insanity by Dell

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
    Maestro 2E audio.

    Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there for
    the installed OS (W2K)

    It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E drivers i
    have found.
    Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason for a
    reload.

    Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    Impossible Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
    > Maestro 2E audio.
    >
    > Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there
    > for the installed OS (W2K)

    Is this the driver file you got:

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...s=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R32274&fileid=35420

    Release date: 10/04/2001

    > It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E
    > drivers i have found.

    What do you mean "doesn't want to install"? Do you get an error
    message or what?

    > Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason
    > for a reload.

    Can you see the audio card in Device Manager? Have you tried
    uninstalling the driver and then rebooting and reinstalling?

    > Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.

    Is this relevant to you?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309057&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    Impossible, Mar 27, 2005

  3. Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
    >>Maestro 2E audio.
    >>
    >>Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there
    >>for the installed OS (W2K)

    > Is this the driver file you got:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/dow...s=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R32274&fileid=35420
    >
    > Release date: 10/04/2001

    Yep

    >>It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E
    >>drivers i have found.

    No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
    expanded driver files

    > What do you mean "doesn't want to install"? Do you get an error
    > message or what?
    >

    >>Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason
    >>for a reload.

    > Can you see the audio card in Device Manager? Have you tried
    > uninstalling the driver and then rebooting and reinstalling?

    Have removed it and reinstalled it several times each time it redetects
    it as a device but wont accept the drivers I offer it or find any
    alternatives

    >>Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.
    >>

    > Is this relevant to you?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309057&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    No docking station involved and since it wont install any drivers no
    volume control etc available.

    Given up fiddling for the moment will go back to it later and see what
    else Ican come up with.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ

    d Guest

    In article <42460790$1_2@127.0.0.1>, says...
    > Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
    > Maestro 2E audio.
    >
    > Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there for
    > the installed OS (W2K)
    >
    > It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E drivers i
    > have found.
    > Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason for a
    > reload.
    >
    > Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.

    Try their bangalore based "tech support" that's why you spent extra on a
    name brand right?

    "Thank you, come again."

    D.

    d, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    Me Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
    <> wrote:

    >Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

    >No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
    >expanded driver files

    Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?
    Me, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Me said the following on 28/03/2005 5:08 p.m.:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

    >>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
    >>expanded driver files

    > Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?

    Yep went there as well got an error (very short) that I didnt record.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 28, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Me wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

    >>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
    >>expanded driver files

    > Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?

    There should be a file called <something>.inf somewhere in
    the expanded driver files. At least, this is true in most
    cases that I come across.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 28, 2005
  8. Collector»NZ

    > Me said the following on 28/03/2005 5:08 p.m.:
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

    >>>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
    >>>expanded driver files

    >> Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?
    >>

    > Yep went there as well got an error (very short) that I didnt
    > record.

    Ignore the Windows driver installation "wizards". Just run the
    setup.exe program that came with the driver files you downloaded.
    Impossible, Mar 28, 2005
  9. Impossible said the following on 29/03/2005 6:37 a.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Me said the following on 28/03/2005 5:08 p.m.:

    >>>Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?
    >>>

    >>Yep went there as well got an error (very short) that I didnt
    >>record.
    >>

    > Ignore the Windows driver installation "wizards". Just run the
    > setup.exe program that came with the driver files you downloaded.

    Been there done that get an error which I didnt record, but it was veru
    brief.

    Resorting to a Linux boot rom to check out the hardware side, though
    that is a stretch since the OS detects the hardware.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 28, 2005
  10. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Resorting to a Linux boot rom to check out the hardware side, though
    > that is a stretch since the OS detects the hardware.

    Dell have their own boot CD diags, very good in my experience.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 28, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 29/03/2005 10:15 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Resorting to a Linux boot rom to check out the hardware side, though
    >> that is a stretch since the OS detects the hardware.

    > Dell have their own boot CD diags, very good in my experience.

    Its an old second hand 400Mhz job not diags at all with it or drivers or
    reload image partition etc.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 29, 2005
  12. Collector»NZ

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 29/03/2005 10:15 a.m.:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Resorting to a Linux boot rom to check out the hardware side,
    >>> though that is a stretch since the OS detects the hardware.

    >> Dell have their own boot CD diags, very good in my experience.

    > Its an old second hand 400Mhz job not diags at all with it or
    > drivers or reload image partition etc.

    Dell support shows a diagnostic program for the CPtV series here:

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...T5&osl=en&deviceid=196&devlib=13&fileid=49213

    Who knows how complete it is, but it might be worth a try.
    Impossible, Mar 29, 2005
  13. Impossible said the following on 29/03/2005 2:55 p.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 29/03/2005 10:15 a.m.:

    >>>Dell have their own boot CD diags, very good in my experience.

    >>Its an old second hand 400Mhz job not diags at all with it or
    >>drivers or reload image partition etc.
    >>

    > Dell support shows a diagnostic program for the CPtV series here:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/dow...T5&osl=en&deviceid=196&devlib=13&fileid=49213
    >
    > Who knows how complete it is, but it might be worth a try.

    Hey thanks, I will give it a go when i get back to it, the machine is
    just the wifes toy so it hasnt got the highest priority. (No she dosnt
    read newsgroups so I am safe)

    Collector»NZ, Mar 29, 2005