    Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
    price of lens have really gone up lately.

    Daniel

    dtong22, Feb 6, 2006

  2. dtong22

    mfshadow Guest

    And the idiots on ebay will gladly bid past retail on ANY photo item
    just to be the "winner".

    mfshadow, Feb 6, 2006

  3. dtong22

    John Fryatt Guest

    dtong22 wrote:
    > Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
    > was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
    > $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
    > end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
    > on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
    > wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
    > Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
    > price of lens have really gone up lately.

    I've seen this before. I think "I need an xyz". Look on eBay and see
    one, only to note that it is bidding higher than I can buy one new!
    I've got no answer for this phenomenon, except to think that there are
    some strange people out there. :-(

    John

    John Fryatt, Feb 6, 2006
  4. mfshadow wrote:

    > And the idiots on ebay will gladly bid past retail on ANY photo item
    > just to be the "winner".

    What's wrong with that? As an eBay seller I love these "idiots" since they
    give me so much spare pocket change to give to Nikon.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Feb 6, 2006
  5. dtong22

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    In rec.photo.digital dtong22 <> wrote:
    > Can somebody explain to me?

    Yep; it's a free market and there are daft people out there. More power
    to those that know and can exploit them ;)

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 6, 2006
  6. John Fryatt wrote:
    > I've seen this before. I think "I need an xyz". Look on eBay and see
    > one, only to note that it is bidding higher than I can buy one new!
    > I've got no answer for this phenomenon, except to think that there are
    > some strange people out there. :-(

    It's called "due dillegance". Most people don't bother with it. They assume
    that if it is on eBay, it's cheaper there than anywhere else. They never
    bother to look.

    As an example, I was looking at a particular lens, it sold at KEH for
    $50, with a box, caps and instruction book in excelent condition. KEH
    had several of them some a little more ($2-$3) some in bargain condition
    for $40. All included a 90 warranty and reasonable shipping costs.

    The same lens on eBay went for about $60.

    The only bargain I saw on eBay was an F90 with the lens included that
    went for $120. I have no idea of the condition of either, so it may
    not have been the bargain I think it was.

    Geoff.

    IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Feb 6, 2006
  7. dtong22

    dtong22 Guest

    Geoff,
    That is not a good example compared with insane bid-up of an used lens
    ($1,100) compared with a brand new one ($800)
    Also a simple shipping cost difference could explain a little
    deviation of $10.
    The example I made was plain to see.
    Daniel

    dtong22, Feb 6, 2006
  8. dtong22 wrote:

    > Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
    > was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
    > $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
    > end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
    > on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
    > wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
    > Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
    > price of lens have really gone up lately.
    >
    > Daniel

    Was the buyer in the US ? Photo gear is cheaper in the US than in Europe so
    stuff that's dearer than "new" in the US may still be cheaper than "new" in
    Europe.

    Ronnie

    Ronnie Sellar, Feb 6, 2006
  9. dtong22

    Cheesehead Guest

    Well, why don't you do this yourself?
    Call resellers, buy them up, and put them on eBay.
    Make the money yourself.
    Yes, there is an irrationality to it all.
    But it's a free world. Enjoy it.

    Collin

    Cheesehead, Feb 6, 2006
  10. dtong22

    Pat Guest

    It's not insane, it arbitrage. Happens all the time in financial
    markets. No reason it can't in camera markets.

    The bigger difference is this. If you buy from b&h and it is
    backordered, you will get your camera eventually. Are you willing to
    take that risk with someone you don't know who is a continent away?

    Pat, Feb 6, 2006
  11. dtong22

    SMS Guest

    dtong22 wrote:
    > Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
    > was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
    > $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
    > end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
    > on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
    > wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
    > Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
    > price of lens have really gone up lately.

    Not just eBay. I was looking on craigslist.org for a lens, and the
    seller was adamant about being firm on the price, which was higher than
    the lens cost new. He sold it at the higher price. He was happy, I could
    buy the new lens at Amazon for less, and the buyer of the used lens was
    happy, though naive.

    It's almost the rule, rather than the exception, that you pay more for
    stuff on eBay than you pay elsewhere.

    I've purchased stuff on eBay, but usually only when the item simply
    isn't sold anywhere else. I needed a specific new plumbing fixture, and
    I couldn't find it at any store, on-line or brick and mortar, but it was
    on eBay.

    SMS, Feb 6, 2006
  12. dtong22

    Mike Guest

    Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new" items.

    Mike, Feb 6, 2006
  13. dtong22

    Jim Guest

    "dtong22" <> wrote in message
    > Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
    > was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
    > $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
    > end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
    > on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
    > wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
    > Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
    > price of lens have really gone up lately.
    >
    > Daniel

    This kind of thing happens all the time.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 6, 2006
  14. Mike wrote:
    > Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new" items.

    Possibly.

    Israel and all of the E.U. countries calculate the taxes based upon the
    price paid. If it is a used item they use a depreicated value.

    If something is sold on eBay, the seller will declare the value of the
    item. Here, if the customs people don't agree they will ask you to
    show up at their office and open the package in front of you.

    If you can prove that you paid $10 for a lens, they will let you go.
    If you can't prove anything, they will look at the lens and come up with
    a price. If it looks new, comes in a box, has caps, an instruction book
    and a warranty card, they will charge you taxes based on the new price.

    A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
    an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
    complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
    box and packaging

    I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
    worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
    than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
    postage for a drive that cost $25?

    I'm not even going to go into the time I paid $50 for 10 used cell phones
    over the internet..........

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Feb 6, 2006
  15. SMS <> wrote:

    >It's almost the rule, rather than the exception, that you pay more for
    >stuff on eBay than you pay elsewhere.

    That has not been my experience. I do see stuff that goes for
    prices that I just have to laugh at (both high *and* low). But
    the vast majority of it falls right into line with what it is
    *worth*. But /many/ items go through price cycles, depending
    on supply and demand.

    With photographic equipment it is *highly* recommended that
    before making a purchase (or selling an odd item?) that one
    should do a bit of research... not just on what the value of
    that item is, but what the availability and the pricing has been
    *on* *eBAy*. Watching prices go and down in cycles on many
    commonly available items, and waiting for the demand to be low
    is often worth real money.

    >I've purchased stuff on eBay, but usually only when the item simply
    >isn't sold anywhere else. I needed a specific new plumbing fixture, and
    >I couldn't find it at any store, on-line or brick and mortar, but it was
    >on eBay.

    Certainly one of the real advantages of eBay is getting access
    to sellers all across the spectrum (geography, quality, goods).

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd Davidson, Feb 6, 2006
  16. dtong22

    Peter Chant Guest

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

    > A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
    > an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
    > complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
    > box and packaging
    >
    > I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
    > worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
    > than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
    > postage for a drive that cost $25?

    Have a look at:

    http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, Feb 6, 2006
  17. "mfshadow" <> wrote in message
    > And the idiots on ebay will gladly bid past retail on ANY photo item
    > just to be the "winner".

    There is a very good answer to this.....Become a "seller", and let those
    idiots bid up your stuff......

    William Graham, Feb 6, 2006
  18. dtong22

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:51:04 +0000 (UTC), (Geoffrey
    S. Mendelson) wrote:

    >Mike wrote:
    >> Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new" items.

    >Possibly.
    >
    >Israel and all of the E.U. countries calculate the taxes based upon the
    >price paid. If it is a used item they use a depreicated value.
    >
    >If something is sold on eBay, the seller will declare the value of the
    >item. Here, if the customs people don't agree they will ask you to
    >show up at their office and open the package in front of you.
    >
    >If you can prove that you paid $10 for a lens, they will let you go.
    >If you can't prove anything, they will look at the lens and come up with
    >a price. If it looks new, comes in a box, has caps, an instruction book
    >and a warranty card, they will charge you taxes based on the new price.
    >
    >A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
    >an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
    >complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
    >box and packaging
    >
    >I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
    >worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
    >than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
    >postage for a drive that cost $25?

    Didn't the fact that the device *in* the box didn't match the
    description *on* the box mean anything?
    I mean, if the box was for a BelchFire 32X burner, and the device in
    the box was a SlowLane 2X burner, doesn't that mean anything?
    Especially with an invoice that is for a SlowLane 2X burner?

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Feb 6, 2006
  19. "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >> Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new"
    >> items.

    > Possibly.
    >
    > Israel and all of the E.U. countries calculate the taxes based upon the
    > price paid. If it is a used item they use a depreicated value.
    >
    > If something is sold on eBay, the seller will declare the value of the
    > item. Here, if the customs people don't agree they will ask you to
    > show up at their office and open the package in front of you.
    >
    > If you can prove that you paid $10 for a lens, they will let you go.
    > If you can't prove anything, they will look at the lens and come up with
    > a price. If it looks new, comes in a box, has caps, an instruction book
    > and a warranty card, they will charge you taxes based on the new price.
    >
    > A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
    > an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
    > complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
    > box and packaging
    >
    > I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
    > worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
    > than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
    > postage for a drive that cost $25?
    >
    > I'm not even going to go into the time I paid $50 for 10 used cell phones
    > over the internet..........
    >
    > Geoff.

    A better question is, "What business does the government have charging you
    taxes on such a transaction, anyway?" Do they charge you income tax? - If
    so, then they have already taxed you once on your money, so what gives them
    the right to tax you for it again when you try to spend what you have left
    over after they have already taxed you for it the first time? Sales taxes
    should be illegal. They restrict trade, and are therefore regressive in that
    they discourage people from doing business with one another, which generates
    jobs and more tax money for the government. They shouldn't even tax you for
    buying brand new items, much less for buying used stuff. Just how does your
    swapping some item with your neighbor increase the governments costs of
    providing you with education for your kids, or a standing army for your
    protection, or for anything else that government provides? And if it
    doesn't, then what business does the government have in taxing it?

    William Graham, Feb 6, 2006
  20. Bill Funk wrote:
    > Didn't the fact that the device *in* the box didn't match the
    > description *on* the box mean anything?
    > I mean, if the box was for a BelchFire 32X burner, and the device in
    > the box was a SlowLane 2X burner, doesn't that mean anything?

    They were both Compaq CD-ROM drives. :-( He also said that it,
    and another used part in the box could not have been used because
    they were not covered in dust.

    He obviously never saw a computer room.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Feb 6, 2006