    if I'm maybe reading those values wrongly or both ISP's are breaking LSA:).

    Best Regards,
    Igor
    Iggy, May 24, 2005

  2. In article <d6vl3r$loq$>, Iggy <> wrote:
    :Is it '5 minute input rate' value from the show int output equal to the
    :actual traffic (in last 5 minutes) rate that arrives on some interface?

    If I recall correctly, it is a weighted average rather than a
    literal count.

    :I have contracted traffic rates with my both ISP's and show int always
    :indicates that the rate is for about 200 Kbps less then the contracted CIR
    :value should be when I load Internet links to the max. so now I'm wondering
    :if I'm maybe reading those values wrongly or both ISP's are breaking LSA:).

    What percentage loss is that 200 Kbps ?
    --
    Oh, to be a Blobel!
    Walter Roberson, May 24, 2005

  3. Iggy

    Guest Guest

    It is indeed an average

    --
    2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

    ///////////////////
    --Anthrax--
    //////////////////

    http://www.usenet.com
    Guest, May 24, 2005
  4. Iggy

    Hansang Bae Guest

    <Anthrax> wrote:

    > It is indeed an average

    Weighted average. It's weighted to limit the peaks and valleys from
    affecting the numbers too much.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 25, 2005
  5. Iggy

    Iggy Guest

    So, how then can you measure/calculate actual transfer rate? I use MRTG and
    max. value it shows is same as in 'show int' command output...Also, on LAN
    side I have configured traffic shaping which should shape inbound traffic
    from the Internet. Shape value is set to 1900000 bps, contracted CIR with
    ISP is 2000000 bps and while the link should be under heavy load there is
    only few packets holded in the queue by traffic shaper. When I set lower
    shaping value (1700 Kbps), shaping is active almost constantly...

    B.R.
    Igor

    Iggy, May 25, 2005
  6. Iggy

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    Personally I found MRTG as the most useful tool to measure the load
    (since MIB are constantly updated and keep historical record). Just to wide
    a little bit more in your previous query ....

    "Average number of bits and packets transmitted per second in the last 5
    minutes. If the interface is not in promiscuous mode, it senses network
    traffic that it sends and receives (rather than all network traffic).
    The 5-minute input and output rates should be used only as an approximation
    of traffic per second during a given 5-minute period. These rates are
    exponentially weighted averages with a time constant of 5 minutes. A period
    of four time constants must pass before the average will be within 2 percent
    of the instantaneous rate of a uniform stream of traffic over that period.

    Note The 5-minute period referenced in this output is a load interval that
    is configurable under the interface. The default value is
    5 minutes. "

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...erence_chapter09186a00801a7edb.html#wp1223732

    About the traffic shaping issue, if you configured traffic shaping becn
    makes sense that the queue will not hold packets unless you receive becn's .

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk7...configuration_example09186a00800942f8.shtml#h

    what shows up in the show frame-relay pvc and show traffic-shape statistics
    when is under heavy load?

    --

    http://www.usenet.com
    Guest, May 25, 2005
  7. Iggy

    Iggy Guest

    Thanks for explanation about measuring traffic rate... I remembered that I
    saw it somewhere, but it was disapeared from my "bio flash memory":)

    Regarding shaping you did'nt understood me well, I'm not using FR traffic
    shaping, but CBTS and this is configured on LAN side since on this way I'm
    able to use CBWFW on FE interface for 2 mbps Internet traffic:) since I
    first shape traffic for a little bit lower then actual CIR (if CIR is 2
    mbps, then I shape it on 1.9 Mbps) and then simply nest CBWFQ inside traffic
    shaping. Without traffic shaping queue will always fill up on ISP side. With
    shaping, queue fills on my router (interface trough which Internet traffic
    flows outbound into my LAN) and I'm able to give some more priority to
    certain Internet applications... And it really works:)

    B.R.
    Igor

    Iggy, May 25, 2005