Input errors, but what's causing them?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by robbertdam@gmail.com, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I see lots of input error on my switch,

    "8059 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored"

    No no overruns, CRCs errors, etc, so what other causes are there for
    these errors. Both side are half-duplex.

    Thanks,

    Robbert Dam

    Complete log:
    FastEthernet0/5 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
    Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0018.b925.5f87 (bia
    0018.b925.5f87)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 5/255, rxload 5/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Half-duplex, 10Mb/s, media type is 10/100BaseTX
    input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Last input never, output 00:00:00, output hang never
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
    0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    427769882 packets input, 1774996100 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 56242 broadcasts (0 multicast)
    0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
    430647135 packets output, 2197925637 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

    , Apr 18, 2007

  2. * wrote:
    > I see lots of input error on my switch,
    >
    > "8059 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored"
    >
    > No no overruns, CRCs errors, etc, so what other causes are there for
    > these errors. Both side are half-duplex.

    If the sender of a frame detects a collision, it sends a abort sequence to
    the ethernet. This is an input error, but non of the specified error
    conditions, because it's a valid abort of transfer.

    Lutz Donnerhacke, Apr 18, 2007

  3. Guest

    On 18 Apr, 08:44, Lutz Donnerhacke <> wrote:
    > * wrote:
    > > I see lots of input error on my switch,

    > > "8059 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored"

    > > No no overruns, CRCs errors, etc, so what other causes are there for
    > > these errors. Both side are half-duplex.

    > If the sender of a frame detects a collision, it sends a abort sequence to
    > the ethernet. This is an input error, but non of the specified error
    > conditions, because it's a valid abort of transfer.

    Hmm, never heard of that one?

    Have a look at

    sh int FastEthernet0/5 counters
    sh int FastEthernet0/5 counters error
    sh int FastEthernet0/5 counters detailed

    Possibly non performance impacting bug?

    Always worth checking the snmp counters to see if there
    is anything there that is not in the sh int counters.

    The error rate is not that high 1/50,000 so not worth getting
    into a huge lather about.

    "Last clearing of "show interface" counters never "
    These errors may be historic.

    , Apr 18, 2007