    would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
    appliances?
    , Oct 8, 2005

  2. XPD Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
    > noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
    > had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
    >
    > I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
    > valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
    > time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
    > else?

    Yeah we had that issue last year as well.... they take something. But its
    also one reason I dont put out my monitors now until the day of the
    collection (or near to as possible) as Im fed up with cleaning up the broken
    glass out of the grass.
    XPD, Oct 8, 2005

  3. XP Guest

    On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, wrote:

    >We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
    >noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
    >had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.

    No just Vandalism

    In the EU you must deposit them to a recalling place as they do have harmful
    stuff in them, like the Phosphors.

    >I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
    >valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
    >time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
    >else?
    >
    >I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
    >every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
    >power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
    >so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
    >would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
    >appliances?

    No that is a Legal Electrical requirement and the Copper is worth some thing..
    XP, Oct 8, 2005
  4. S Roby Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
    >noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
    >had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
    >
    >I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
    >valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's

    There are big copper coils at the back of the screen
    S Roby, Oct 8, 2005
  5. T'was the 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700 when I remembered
    saying something like this:

    >I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
    >valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
    >time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
    >else?

    Fun?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Guest

    That copper must be worth a lot for someone to go around smashing open
    old screens in the pouring rain! Maybe I should have kept it after all
    and found out who buys the copper...

    I've got two Panasonic dot matrix printers if anyone wants them. One a
    normal size A4 carriage and the other a wide carriage. Both are in
    such good condition that I hate to just throw them out, but I'm moving
    house and I have no need for them now. They're yours if you promise to
    give them a good home and will collect them from Glenfield, Auckland.
    , Oct 8, 2005
  7. On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, <> wrote in

    > We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
    > noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
    > had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
    >
    > I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
    > valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
    > time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
    > else?

    Possibly they have been intentionally smashed prior to disposal as a
    safety measure to eliminate the possibility of their imploding and
    injuring somebody - your kid, perhaps?

    > I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
    > every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
    > power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
    > so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
    > would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
    > appliances?

    Once again, possibly a safety measure to discourage re-use of discarded
    and possibly electrically unsafe appliances.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Do not try to catch a dropped cactus.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 8, 2005
  8. Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > That copper must be worth a lot for someone to go around smashing open
    > old screens in the pouring rain! Maybe I should have kept it after all
    > and found out who buys the copper...
    >
    > I've got two Panasonic dot matrix printers if anyone wants them. One a
    > normal size A4 carriage and the other a wide carriage. Both are in
    > such good condition that I hate to just throw them out, but I'm moving
    > house and I have no need for them now. They're yours if you promise to
    > give them a good home and will collect them from Glenfield, Auckland.

    Not really, they type of people I have observed taking them most likly dont put
    any value on there time so they treat it as effectivly free money, nevermind
    that there van is sitting there idling while they pull it out etc.
    Richard, Oct 8, 2005
  9. S Roby Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, <> wrote in
    >
    >> We're currently having an inorganic collection around our way and I've
    >> noticed that every single old computer screen that has been put out has
    >> had its top smashed in. I've noticed this in past years too.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that there must be something inside the screens that's
    >> valuable, but what could be worth so much to make it worth anyone's
    >> time to go around smashing up old screens? Gold? Copper? Something
    >> else?

    >Possibly they have been intentionally smashed prior to disposal as a
    >safety measure to eliminate the possibility of their imploding and
    >injuring somebody - your kid, perhaps?
    >

    >> I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
    >> every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had its
    >> power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a dollar or
    >> so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old ones that it
    >> would be worth their time driving around and scavenging them off old
    >> appliances?

    >Once again, possibly a safety measure to discourage re-use of discarded
    >and possibly electrically unsafe appliances.

    They get smashed open & glass is left all over the place, so its not done for
    safety issuses.
    S Roby, Oct 8, 2005
  10. Guest

    I've been told that they will take just about any sort of wiring and
    they burn the plastic off so they're left with the copper.

    I've had electrical cords, printer cables, mouse tails, etc. All with
    the end connectors cut off and left and just the cable / wire taken.

    I've also looked at some of the smashed screens and found them all
    damaged in the same way, with the end of the tube smashed off and
    whatever was on the end (copper coil?) taken.

    I'm sure it's not a safety issue or the notice from the council would
    have mentioned removing power cords and not putting out TV/monitor
    tubes.
    , Oct 9, 2005
  11. S Roby Guest

    >I'm sure it's not a safety issue or the notice from the council would
    >have mentioned removing power cords and not putting out TV/monitor
    >tubes.

    It does become a safety issue when I have shards of broken glass
    in my lawn.
    I will now only take monitors straight to the dump.
    S Roby, Oct 9, 2005
  12. MarkH Guest

    wrote in news:1128814178.815245.212590
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I've been told that they will take just about any sort of wiring and
    > they burn the plastic off so they're left with the copper.
    >
    > I've had electrical cords, printer cables, mouse tails, etc. All with
    > the end connectors cut off and left and just the cable / wire taken.
    >
    > I've also looked at some of the smashed screens and found them all
    > damaged in the same way, with the end of the tube smashed off and
    > whatever was on the end (copper coil?) taken.
    >
    > I'm sure it's not a safety issue or the notice from the council would
    > have mentioned removing power cords and not putting out TV/monitor
    > tubes.

    I am sure that I have read somewhere that it is a good idea to cut the
    power cord of a faulty appliance when putting it out for inorganic
    collection. I think it is essentially a measure to stop someone picking it
    up, taking it home and plugging it in to see if it works.

    I can't remember where I read about cutting the power cord, sorry.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Oct 9, 2005
  13. MarkH Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >>On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
    >>> every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had
    >>> its power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a
    >>> dollar or so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old
    >>> ones that it would be worth their time driving around and scavenging
    >>> them off old appliances?

    >>Once again, possibly a safety measure to discourage re-use of
    >>discarded and possibly electrically unsafe appliances.
    >>

    > They get smashed open & glass is left all over the place, so its not
    > done for safety issuses.

    The power cords get smashed open? Glass from some old toaster is left all
    over the place?

    I think that if every appliance has its power cord cut off it could well be
    a safety measure to discourage re-use of discarded and possibly
    electrically unsafe appliances as raptor said.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Oct 9, 2005
  14. Guest

    I have two big old disk packs from a Prime mini-computer (massive big,
    multi-platter types). They're of no practical purpose, but if there
    are any collectors of old computer junk then they might like them.
    Free to a good home so long as you can collect them from Glenfield,
    Auckland.

    Also lots of old computer books and manuals from the 60's, 70's and
    80's. Lots of them are software manuals from Prime mini's, but also
    Unix, Apple, DOS, TRS-80, OS/2, Amstrad, Datapoint, Commodore 64 and
    Vic 20, Sinclair ZX-81, Acorn RISC OS, Pascal, Modula-2, 6502
    assembler, CP/M internals, X-Windows internals, Oric 1, general
    programming principles, operating system fundamentals and programming,
    etc. Way too many for me to list individual titles, but they may be
    useful for those people that are into retro computing. If you're
    looking for anything in particular or in general then email me and I'll
    see if I've got it.
    , Oct 9, 2005
  15. Richard Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > I am sure that I have read somewhere that it is a good idea to cut the
    > power cord of a faulty appliance when putting it out for inorganic
    > collection. I think it is essentially a measure to stop someone picking it
    > up, taking it home and plugging it in to see if it works.
    >
    > I can't remember where I read about cutting the power cord, sorry.

    I know that in the second hand market its advisable to remove the plug off
    anything you sell that you are not prepaired to certify as safe since the buyer
    then is making their own assessment when they choose to fit a plug and connect
    the thing.
    Richard, Oct 9, 2005
  16. Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've been told that they will take just about any sort of wiring and
    > they burn the plastic off so they're left with the copper.

    Nice stuff to breathe, that PVC smoke
    Rob J, Oct 11, 2005