    I am running xppro with a dialup connection. I have created a user
    account with minimum privileges.

    None (george)

    Also None, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Also None

    Also None Guest

    Did I phrase my question wrong?

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:16:05 -0500, Also None <> wrote:

    >Some programs say they can inoculate against such trash as 180
    >solutions. How do they do this? Perhaps in the registry?
    >I am running xppro with a dialup connection. I have created a user
    >account with minimum privileges.
    >
    >None (george)

    I meant to ask if there was anything else I could do myself in the
    registry or where ever.

    George

    Also None, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Also None

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Also None wrote:

    > Some programs say they can inoculate against such trash as 180
    > solutions. How do they do this? Perhaps in the registry?
    > I am running xppro with a dialup connection. I have created a user
    > account with minimum privileges.

    George,

    My HOSTS file prevents 180 solutions crapware. This is my list of
    ad-blocking utilities. All of this stuff is security-related, which
    means that if you use it, you have to keep it updated. Some people
    prefer Adblock to Adblock Plus for whatever reason.

    Firefox/Mozilla - Adblock:
    (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10)
    Firefox/Mozilla - Filterset.G Updater for Adblock:
    (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1136)
    Firefox/Mozilla - Adblock Plus:
    (http://bene.sitesled.com/adblock.htm)
    Firefox/Mozilla - Flashblock, disables Flash content:
    (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/)
    Firefox/Mozilla - NoScript, disables Javascript:
    (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=722)
    Firefox/Mozilla - PrefBar, allows toggle of Javascript, Flash:
    (http://prefbar.mozdev.org/)

    MS IE Specific - IESPYAD, ad-blocking:
    (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm#IESPYAD)
    MS IE Specific - Enough is Enough!, disables Java, Javascript and ActiveX:
    (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource6.htm)
    MS IE Specific - SpywareGuide, blocks ActiveX pests
    (http://www.spywareguide.com/blockfile.php)

    All browsers - HOSTS file:

    Many people in the Security/Paranoia NGs use MVPs and/or hpGuru's
    HOSTS files together with a HOSTS file utility like HostsMan or
    Hostess. Some general HOSTS File Information:

    Creating/Modifying HOSTS Files:

    HOSTS File - BT Shagnasty
    (http://k75s.home.att.net/hostsfile.txt)
    HOSTS File - Dan Pollock
    (http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/)
    HOSTS File - Gorilla
    (http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/)
    HOSTS File - hpGuru
    (http://www.hosts-file.net/downloads.html)
    HOSTS File - Mike
    (http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html)
    HOSTS File - MVPs
    (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)
    HOSTS File - Peter Lowe
    (http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/)
    HOSTS File - Shorty
    (http://hostsfile.mine.nu/)

    Each of the above sites provides a HOSTS file in addition to providing
    a wealth of information about the use of a HOSTS file, DNS servers,
    the DNS client, etc.

    Managing the HOSTS File:

    HOSTS File Utilities - CIP HOSTS file manager by Radsoft
    (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cipfree.html)
    HOSTS File Utilities - HiJackThis by Merijn
    (http://www.merijn.org/index.html)
    HOSTS File Utilities - Hoster by Funkytoad
    (http://www.funkytoad.com/hoster.htm)
    HOSTS File Utilities - Hostess by Ray Marron
    (http://www.raymarron.com/hostess/)
    HOSTS File Utilities - HOSTS File Manager by MVPs
    (http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm)
    HOSTS File Utilities - HOSTS Manager by Aldo Vargas
    (http://www.aldostools.com/hosts.html)
    HOSTS File Utilities - HostsMan by abelhadigital
    (http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/)
    HOSTS File Utilities - Hosts Toggle by Mike Meyer
    (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html)

    Each of the above HOSTS file utilities is freeware, and has been
    successfully installed and used (not all features of each) on WinXP HE
    SP2. I particularly like the utilities that allow for the merging of
    an updated HOSTS file with the deletion of duplicate entries.

    If you are new to HOSTS files, start with the MVPs web site and go
    from there.

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Also None