    without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    reply text too.
    Western Alarm, Feb 10, 2007

  2. Western Alarm

    Mike Easter Guest

    Western Alarm wrote:
    > How do I reply <inline> to a gmail message in a different color text
    > without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    > then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    > reply text too.

    Reply inline without worrying about the text color.

    When you have completed that part of your contextualized remark, drag
    highlight what you've said and click the color text icon to give you a
    palette and change the textcolor of everything you highlighted.

    I think I would put it in a different font rather than a different
    textcolor.

    To me, text colors other than black look 'yucky'.

    Actually, I would probably do the whole thing in plaintext, including
    converting any original received rich text to plaintext before
    replying.

    Email should be in plaintext unless there is some very compelling reason
    about what you are trying to communicate that requires it to not be. If
    you need to 'display' something, you should/could be annotating graphics
    and attaching them. Or, if you have a common format you can share with
    the other person, such as Word docs or Open Office format, then do what
    you are trying to do in something richer and more flexible than you can
    create with gmail.

    Trying to make something which should be plaintext look cutesy is a
    mistake.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Western Alarm

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:22:25 -0600, Western Alarm
    <> wrote:

    >How do I reply <inline> to a gmail message in a different color text
    >without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    >then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    >reply text too.

    If you are e-mailing your friends, plain text is the way to go.
    Otherwise, sure, use fancy colors, fonts, etc.
    Evan Platt, Feb 10, 2007
  4. Evan Platt inspired greatness with:

    >On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:22:25 -0600, Western Alarm
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>How do I reply <inline> to a gmail message in a different color text
    >>without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    >>then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    >>reply text too.

    >If you are e-mailing your friends, plain text is the way to go.
    >Otherwise, sure, use fancy colors, fonts, etc.

    You're an idiot,

    If you don't know the answer then don't reply.
    Western Alarm, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Mike Easter inspired greatness with:

    >Reply inline without worrying about the text color.
    >
    >When you have completed that part of your contextualized remark, drag
    >highlight what you've said and click the color text icon to give you a
    >palette and change the textcolor of everything you highlighted.

    I know how to do that for each remark, I wanted to see if a way
    existed to do it automatically for each subsequent remark without
    having to go back. Like I can in Outlook. (yes, I'm aware I can POP
    the mail to Outlook)

    >I think I would put it in a different font rather than a different
    >textcolor.
    >
    >To me, text colors other than black look 'yucky'.

    Your opinion is noted, thanks.
    Western Alarm, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Western Alarm

    Guest

    On Feb 9, 9:22 pm, Western Alarm <> wrote:
    > How do I reply <inline> to a gmail message in a different color text
    > without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    > then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    > reply text too.

    did anyone ever figure out how to do this????
    i'd love to know.

    thanks!
    julie
    , Mar 6, 2007
  7. Western Alarm

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:09:59 -0800, bac.website wrote:

    > On Feb 9, 9:22 pm, Western Alarm <> wrote:
    >> How do I reply <inline> to a gmail message in a different color text
    >> without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    >> then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    >> reply text too.

    > did anyone ever figure out how to do this????
    > i'd love to know.
    >

    > thanks!
    > julie

    Your subject header:- 'inline Gmail replys with different color text'

    That's repl-IE-s. If a noun ends with a consonant followed by the letter
    'y' then in the plural the 'y' is replaced with 'ie' before the 's'. The
    same applies to verbs of the same construction.

    Such a simple spelling rule. How can people forget it so easily?

    And don't let me get started on how the Americans constantly misspell
    words with malice aforethought. They miss the 'u' out of words like
    'favour', 'honour', 'harbour', spell 'defence' with an 's' and so on. Too
    many crimes against correct spelling to mention in one post.

    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    :)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Mar 6, 2007
  8. On 2007-03-06, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Aardvark waxed eloquently:
    > On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:09:59 -0800, bac.website wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 9, 9:22 pm, Western Alarm <> wrote:
    >>> How do I reply <inline> to a gmail message in a different color text
    >>> without having to reset the color at each line break? I tried ctrl-A
    >>> then changing the color but this changes the original text plus my
    >>> reply text too.

    >> did anyone ever figure out how to do this????
    >> i'd love to know.
    >>

    >> thanks!
    >> julie

    > Your subject header:- 'inline Gmail replys with different color text'
    >
    > That's repl-IE-s. If a noun ends with a consonant followed by the letter
    > 'y' then in the plural the 'y' is replaced with 'ie' before the 's'. The
    > same applies to verbs of the same construction.
    >
    > Such a simple spelling rule. How can people forget it so easily?
    >
    > And don't let me get started on how the Americans constantly misspell
    > words with malice aforethought. They miss the 'u' out of words like
    > 'favour', 'honour', 'harbour', spell 'defence' with an 's' and so on. Too
    > many crimes against correct spelling to mention in one post.
    >
    > Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    >
    >:)

    We've been trying to teach you Brits proper spelling for decades, and
    you just won't learn...
    :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate -- you know someone's fingers
    The Old Sourdough, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Western Alarm

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:48:35 -0600, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > On 2007-03-06, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Aardvark waxed eloquently:

    >>> did anyone ever figure out how to do this????
    >>> i'd love to know.
    >>>

    >>> thanks!
    >>> julie

    >> Your subject header:- 'inline Gmail replys with different color text'
    >>
    >> That's repl-IE-s. If a noun ends with a consonant followed by the letter
    >> 'y' then in the plural the 'y' is replaced with 'ie' before the 's'. The
    >> same applies to verbs of the same construction.
    >>
    >> Such a simple spelling rule. How can people forget it so easily?
    >>
    >> And don't let me get started on how the Americans constantly misspell
    >> words with malice aforethought. They miss the 'u' out of words like
    >> 'favour', 'honour', 'harbour', spell 'defence' with an 's' and so on. Too
    >> many crimes against correct spelling to mention in one post.
    >>
    >> Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    >>
    >>:)
    >>

    > We've been trying to teach you Brits proper spelling for decades, and
    > you just won't learn...
    > :)

    LOL I'm not a Brit mate, I'm Irish. The English all but stamped out our
    language centuries ago and imposed their own on us. So we Irish used it as
    a weapon against them by becoming superlative manipulators of their
    language.

    James Joyce, W.B. Yeats, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, Jonathan Swift,
    Bram Stoker, Seamus Heaney, Oliver Goldsmith, the list just goes on and on.....

    A large proportion of the most well-known writers of the English language
    of centuries past have been Irish.

    Can't remember who said the following 'The trouble with the English is
    that they don't teach their children their own language' but it definitely
    holds more than a grain of truth, whereas the Irish have a rich tradition
    of effective use of language (both English and Gaelic) in literature,
    verse and song as well as the spoken word.

    BTW- If you ever get the chance to read a pre-1910 copy of any of Edgar
    Allen Poe's (or, for that matter, just about any pre-Edwardian American
    writer's) works you will notice that he spells words correctly- puts the
    'u' in favour, honour etc. Wouldn't be surprised if he even spells
    'defence' correctly. :)

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2007
  10. Western Alarm

    fuzuku

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Simplistic Workaround

    I have not figured a way to respond in-line with a different text color. I just use the keystrokes ctrl+b each time after I have placed the cursor to input text. Everything I type after will be bolded. After placing the cursor for another comment I have to ctrl+b again but at least it is more efficient than picking a new text color with the mouse.

    I wish someone would do a little script that would allow changing text color via key strokes...
    fuzuku, Nov 30, 2012