    Is there a piece of software which I can download and which accomplishes
    this feat?

    My OS is Windows XP Pro.

    Ritter197, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Ritter197

    Thor Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have seen some printer which give you a graphical picture of the ink
    >levels of your printer.
    >
    > I have 2 printers, a Lexmark (very recently bought) and a HP DeskJet 935C.
    >
    > They do not have this nice feature.

    if you have installed the proper printer driver and software from either of
    those manufacturers, you should have that feature. If you are using a
    generic windows driver (unlikely if the printers are relatively new models)
    or only installed the driver part of the software, then you mat not have
    that feature available. Check the printer status icons in the system tray
    next to the clock. double click the icon, and check the various options
    there. The ink level should be indicated somewhere in there. There is also
    the possibility if those printers use LPT connections that bi-directional
    communication is being prevented due to settings, or driver problems. This
    would also cause the ink levels to not be displayed. With USB connections
    though, it should always be available. The software from both of those
    printers should have it.

    Thor, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Ritter197 wrote:
    > I have seen some printer which give you a graphical picture of the ink
    > levels of your printer.
    >
    > I have 2 printers, a Lexmark (very recently bought) and a HP DeskJet
    > 935C.
    >
    > They do not have this nice feature.
    >
    > Is there a piece of software which I can download and which
    > accomplishes this feat?
    >
    > My OS is Windows XP Pro.

    That would have to be provided by the hardware manufacturer - usually a
    software suite rather than just a driver. Search Lexmark and HP for
    software.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 16, 2004
  4. Ritter197

    CS Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:49:32 -0500, "Ritter197"
    <> wrote:

    >I have seen some printer which give you a graphical picture of the ink
    >levels of your printer.
    >
    >I have 2 printers, a Lexmark (very recently bought) and a HP DeskJet 935C.
    >
    >They do not have this nice feature.
    >
    >Is there a piece of software which I can download and which accomplishes
    >this feat?
    >
    >My OS is Windows XP Pro.

    I can't speak for the Lexmark but for the HPDJ 935C you need to
    install the optional HP toolbox. It's either on the CD or you can
    download it for free from the HP website.

    CS, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Thank you very much for the fine and detailed response.

    I must have initially (today when I re-installed windows xp pro) used the
    windows drivers or more likely, the program went ahead and did it.

    I have since then (after your response) installed the Lexmark 810 from the
    CD which came with it.

    Two things:

    I do not see at the bottom next to the clock anything pertaining to
    printers.

    I do not see how to access now the ink level.

    Ritter197, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Ritter197

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    >I have seen some printer which give you a graphical picture of the ink
    >levels of your printer.
    >
    > I have 2 printers, a Lexmark (very recently bought) and a HP DeskJet
    > 935C.
    >
    > They do not have this nice feature.
    >
    > Is there a piece of software which I can download and which
    > accomplishes this feat?
    >
    > My OS is Windows XP Pro.

    I have the driver and software suite installed for the HP 970Cse. It
    includes a toolbox utility that shows the [estimated] ink level along
    with a monitor tray icon to alert you to low ink levels and errors. Try
    downloading the driver and software suite for your printer model to see
    if HP includes a similar toolbox and monitor utility.

    _Vanguard_, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Ritter197

    Thor Guest

    Using the Lexmark Solution Center
    The Lexmark 810 Series Solution Center (LSC) is a valuable information
    resource.
    To open the LSC:
    Click Start Programs Lexmark 810 Series Lexmark Solution Center.

    The LSC consists of six tabs: Printer Status, How To, Troubleshooting,
    Maintenance, Contact Information, and Advanced.

    Printer Status (Main dialog box)
    View the status of the printer. For example, while printing, the status is
    Busy Printing.
    View the ink levels of the print cartridges.

    How To:
    Find and change settings.
    Use basic features.
    Print banners, iron-on transfers, photos, envelopes, and other items.

    Troubleshooting:
    Learn tips about the current status.
    Solve printer problems.

    Maintenance:
    Install a new print cartridge.
    View shopping options for new cartridges.
    Print a test page.
    Clean to fix horizontal streaks.
    Align to fix blurry edges.
    Troubleshoot other ink problems.
    Remove Japanese postcard residue.

    Contact Information:
    Learn how to contact Lexmark by phone, e-mail, or on the World Wide Web.

    Advanced:
    Change the appearance of the Printing Status window and turn printing voice
    notification on or off.
    Change the network printing settings.
    Obtain software version information.

    Thor, Dec 16, 2004
  8. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    These work as estimates of the ink levels if the software
    and drivers you have installed support it and the ink
    cartridge has the chip installed, after market and refilled
    cartridge may not work.
    I have an HP 3820 with this feature, but our older HP882c
    does not support ink level reports.

    The reports are not very accurate, often my 3820 will start
    telling me that my ink is low and I can print a hundred more
    pages.

    Just a general suggestion, set your default printer to use
    draft or fast mode, this saves your money and ink and the
    output still looks very good. If you need to print a high
    quality document, it is easy to open the properties on the
    pint dialogue and set that document to normal or best.

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year

    Jim Macklin, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    I just looked through all my CD's and do not find one for the HP DeskJet
    930C.

    I also went to the HP website and they do not list the 930C at all.

    Ritter197, Dec 16, 2004
  10. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Jim, great reply. I just would like to know when to buy a new cartridge. I
    am sure the SW is designed to make you run out long before it is necessary
    to replace, but how does one tell?

    Re you draft mode - I agree and use it.

    Except when I do photos.

    Ritter197, Dec 16, 2004
  11. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    If you select photopaper, the ink setting will default to
    best.

    Best thing is to keep a spare cartridge and change it when
    the print starts to streak or the colors start to fade. I'm
    in Wichita and have several 24/7 sources near-by (Wal-Mart
    and such) that carry ink refills, so I don't worry about
    keeping a high production of pages. In fact, I probably
    only print 50-100 pages a month, although I sometimes do
    several hundred at a single sitting, it just depends.

    If you have urgent needs, such as term papers, work at home,
    what ever, keep a set at home.

    --

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    | Jim, great reply. I just would like to know when to buy a
    new cartridge. I
    | am sure the SW is designed to make you run out long before
    it is necessary
    | to replace, but how does one tell?
    |
    | Re you draft mode - I agree and use it.
    |
    | Except when I do photos.

    in message
    | > These work as estimates of the ink levels if the
    software
    | > and drivers you have installed support it and the ink
    | > cartridge has the chip installed, after market and
    refilled
    | > cartridge may not work.
    | > I have an HP 3820 with this feature, but our older
    HP882c
    | > does not support ink level reports.
    | >
    | > The reports are not very accurate, often my 3820 will
    start
    | > telling me that my ink is low and I can print a hundred
    more
    | > pages.
    | >
    | > Just a general suggestion, set your default printer to
    use
    | > draft or fast mode, this saves your money and ink and
    the
    | > output still looks very good. If you need to print a
    high
    | > quality document, it is easy to open the properties on
    the
    | > pint dialogue and set that document to normal or best.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | > "CS" <> wrote in message
    | > | On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:49:32 -0500, "Ritter197"
    | > | <> wrote:
    | > |
    | > picture of the ink

    and a
    | > HP DeskJet 935C.

    | > which accomplishes

    | > |

    Jim Macklin, Dec 16, 2004
  12. Ritter197

    Thor Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    >I just looked through all my CD's and do not find one for the HP DeskJet
    >930C.

    if you bought it new, it certainly should have come with a setup CD.

    > I also went to the HP website and they do not list the 930C at all.

    you need to improve your browsing skills. It was easy to find on HP's
    support site.

    http://tinyurl.com/4hf4e

    Thor, Dec 16, 2004
  13. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Jim, good advice.

    Merry Christmas to you too.

    Karl

    Ritter197, Dec 16, 2004
  14. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Merry Christmas to All,
    Buy lots of stuff,
    eat lots of turkey and ham,
    drive sober and safely.

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    | Jim, good advice.
    |
    | Merry Christmas to you too.
    |
    | Karl
    in message
    | > If you select photopaper, the ink setting will default
    | > best.
    | >
    | > Best thing is to keep a spare cartridge and change it
    when
    | > the print starts to streak or the colors start to fade.
    I'm
    | > in Wichita and have several 24/7 sources near-by
    (Wal-Mart
    | > and such) that carry ink refills, so I don't worry about
    | > keeping a high production of pages. In fact, I probably
    | > only print 50-100 pages a month, although I sometimes do
    | > several hundred at a single sitting, it just depends.
    | >
    | > If you have urgent needs, such as term papers, work at
    home,
    | > what ever, keep a set at home.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | >

    | > "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    | > | Jim, great reply. I just would like to know when to
    buy a
    | > new cartridge. I
    | > | am sure the SW is designed to make you run out long
    before
    | > it is necessary
    | > | to replace, but how does one tell?
    | > |
    | > | Re you draft mode - I agree and use it.
    | > |
    | > | Except when I do photos.
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > software
    | > refilled
    | > HP882c

    | > start
    hundred
    | > more

    | > use
    | > the
    | > high
    | > the

    | > | > |
    graphical

    bought)
    | > and a

    | > | > |

    Jim Macklin, Dec 16, 2004
  15. Ritter197

    Thor Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    > Jim, great reply. I just would like to know when to buy a new cartridge. I
    > am sure the SW is designed to make you run out long before it is necessary
    > to replace, but how does one tell?

    when it runs dry. Ignore the low cartridge warnings until you actually run
    out. Consider the warning as first notice that the cartridge may be close to
    empty but use it until it stops printing. Sometimes the ink estimates are
    pretty close and sometimes they aren't. It is an estimate usually based on
    characters printed or pages printed.

    Thor, Dec 16, 2004
  16. Ritter197

    Derek Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:51:00 -0500, Ritter197 wrote:

    > I just looked through all my CD's and do not find one for the HP DeskJet
    > 930C.
    >
    > I also went to the HP website and they do not list the 930C at all.

    But did you search for it under "Support and Drivers"? I did, and I
    found the following page:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=7&submit.x=4&lang=en&cc=us

    (or, if needed, http://makeashorterlink.com/?L58E2490A )

    Sure, HP doesn't "list" it as it's not a current model. That doesn't
    mean you can't still download the drivers.

    --
    Derek

    The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to
    assume you're pretentious.

    Derek, Dec 16, 2004
  17. Ritter197

    CS Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:51:00 -0500, "Ritter197"
    <> wrote:

    I found it at the HP website:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=58118&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

    Watch the word wrap for the above URL. The toolbox for the 930 series
    should be included with the software download. Usually, I don't
    install the toolbox for my HPDJ printers because I find it sometimes
    does not give an accurate indication of ink level. Although I admit
    it looks nice as a graphic display. <g>

    Regards and good luck.

    CS, Dec 16, 2004
  18. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Just remembered something about the cartridges used by the
    HP882c [#45 and #23] They don't report on screen, but they
    do have an indicator on the cartridge that can be seen by
    lifting the cover, and looking at the label. It is a color
    strip that changes color as the ink level goes down.

    This is an HP, don't know what other makes do.

    Jim Macklin, Dec 16, 2004
  19. Ritter197

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    > If you select photopaper, the ink setting will default to
    > best.
    >
    > Best thing is to keep a spare cartridge and change it when
    > the print starts to streak or the colors start to fade. I'm
    > in Wichita and have several 24/7 sources near-by (Wal-Mart
    > and such) that carry ink refills, so I don't worry about
    > keeping a high production of pages. In fact, I probably
    > only print 50-100 pages a month, although I sometimes do
    > several hundred at a single sitting, it just depends.
    >
    > If you have urgent needs, such as term papers, work at home,
    > what ever, keep a set at home.

    Be forewarned that HP measure the warranty period for their cartridges
    from their manufacture date, *NOT* from when you bought it. Check the
    expiration date on the box. Obviously it won't have the date that you
    bought it. I had purchased 2 spare cartridges (one black, one color)
    and about 9 months later had to use them. However, one of them failed
    and HP refused to replace it under warranty because it was out of
    warranty. For example,
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02075&locale=en_US
    notes that the end of warranty is already printed on the cartridge so
    obviously it is unrelated to when you actually purchased the cartridge.
    Since the "end of warranty" date is printed on the cartridge itself, you
    can't see it until you remove the cartridge from its packing materials.
    If you buy a cartridge and let it sit around for 6 to 12 months then it
    might be out of warranty when you get around to using it. That's why
    you need to buy branded cartridges from a vendor where there is decent
    turnover to help ensure the start of the warranty coincides as close as
    possible to when you buy it. I was going to check warranty (contract)
    law but never got around to it and then forgot about it. From now on, I
    wait until I need a new cartridge and then buy it. Even if it is
    outside the manufactured-timed warranty period, the store will accept it
    as a defect return within 14 days, or so.

    While printing in draft mode saves ink, be sure to print a test page of
    black and some primary colors to make sure the jets don't clog up with
    dried ink. Had that happen, too, because I don't need to print much
    hardcopy. Also, once you remove the plastic tape over the ports, the
    cartridge starts drying out even if unused. "At $22 per quarter-ounce,
    a Hewlett-Packard color ink-jet cartridge is more expensive, by weight,
    than imported Russian caviar",
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112199,00.asp. I never heard
    what happened with the class action suit against HP
    (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/inkjet_suit.html).

    _Vanguard_, Dec 16, 2004
  20. Ritter197

    VWWall Guest

    _Vanguard_ wrote:

    > While printing in draft mode saves ink, be sure to print a test page of
    > black and some primary colors to make sure the jets don't clog up with
    > dried ink. Had that happen, too, because I don't need to print much
    > hardcopy. Also, once you remove the plastic tape over the ports, the
    > cartridge starts drying out even if unused. "At $22 per quarter-ounce,
    > a Hewlett-Packard color ink-jet cartridge is more expensive, by weight,
    > than imported Russian caviar",
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112199,00.asp. I never heard
    > what happened with the class action suit against HP
    > (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/inkjet_suit.html).

    HP cartridges include the nozzles, to which they own the patents. Other
    printers have separate cartridges, and have been unable to stop third
    party replacements. I've used generic cartriges in my Epson Stylus Color
    800 for three years with no problems and about 25% of the cost.

    Gilette started it with cheap razors and expensive blades. It's now
    like the old joke about the golf driving range, where the admission is
    free, but they get you by the balls!

    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Dec 16, 2004