    an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.

    any tips?

    Howie
    Howie, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Howie

    bearman Guest

    "Howie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
    > print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
    > recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

    buying
    > an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.
    >
    > any tips?
    >
    > Howie

    I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of ink.
    Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me $80
    about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once a
    week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.

    Bearman
    bearman, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Howie

    Justin Guest

    >> I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it
    >> to print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
    >> recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

    > buying
    >> an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or
    >> re-fill.
    >>
    >> any tips?
    >>
    >> Howie

    We have an HP PSC 1210 that was just $99. It is a combo printer, scanner,
    and copier. To make a copy, just place a document on the scanner area and
    hit copy like a copy machine (I don't even think the PC needs to be on but
    ours is on 24/7 anyway). It saves desk space (can put your old scanner
    away). It's cool.

    Justin, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Howie

    Howie Guest

    What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
    biggest focus when buying a printer)...

    Howie, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Howie

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have a preference for the HP for many technical reasons. When changing
    their inkjet cartridges, there is a new nozzle(s) built in. Also with their
    laser printers, the cartridge gives a lot of new base parts.

    I found however, that refilling inkjet cartridges brings on too many other
    problems. I would never get in to that again! The inkjet printers are very
    expensive to use. If you are going to do mostly B&W printing, get a low cost
    laser printer. A $60 to $80 cartridge can give about 2500 to 3000 pages.
    You would have to spend about $500 on cartridges with an inkjet printer to
    do that! In this case, you've more than paid for the basic laser printer,
    and a spare cartridge.

    If you plan to do a fair amount of colour printing, and you do not need very
    good photo quality, you should consider a low cost colour laser printer. The
    layout will be higher, but in the end, it will work out cheaper for the
    amount of prints you will get over the lifetime of the printer and
    cartridges. After going through with this, I found it to be a reasonable
    solution.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Aug 4, 2004
  6. Howie

    Justin Guest

    "Howie" <> wrote in

    > What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
    > biggest focus when buying a printer)...

    I think they're about $30 or so each, about the same as other printers. If
    you do a lot of printing, you might consider a laser printer (the toner
    would be cheaper than constantly replacing inkjet ink). Brother has one
    for like $150 or so I believe. Then you can get an inkjet for color
    photos.

    Justin, Aug 4, 2004
  7. I like HP's print quality & their ink cartridge costs (per page) are as
    cheap as any I've seen. What I don't like about HP-and most others-is
    that they've started embedding chips in their cartridges. Besides making
    it impossible for others to manufacturer compatible cartridges they've
    also started putting expiration dates in at least some of the chips.

    It's probably not a big deal if you have a local store that always has
    your cartridges in stock & is open 24/7, but if that's not the case then
    you need to watch your ink supply closely. I used to keep spare
    cartridges on hand because I always seemed to run out either when the
    store was closed or when it had run out of my cartridges-but I just had
    to throw out over $100 of cartridges because that damned chip wouldn't
    let them work. (Must have gotten old stock the last time I ordered.) As
    far as I could tell the cartridges, except for the chip, were
    fine-they'd never even been opened.

    Sure raised my cost of ink, bless HP's greedy little heart.

    BTW, specific models were Officejet 6110 (all-in-one) and Photosmart
    1115. Don't know how wide-spread this habit is, these models, fairly new
    machines, are the first ones that I've been bitten on.

    Calvin Crumrine, Aug 4, 2004
  8. Howie

    bearman Guest

    "bearman" <> wrote in message

    > "Howie" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
    > > print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
    > > recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

    > buying
    > > an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.
    > >
    > > any tips?
    > >
    > > Howie
    > >

    > I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of ink.
    > Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me

    $80
    > about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once a
    > week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.
    >
    > Bearman

    Check out the prices for ink cartridges for the Canon i560. Pretty damn
    cheap.

    Bearman
    bearman, Aug 4, 2004
  9. bearman wrote:

    > "bearman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Howie" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm looking at buying a good priced new inkjet for my PC. I want it to
    >>>print basic documents, plus the odd digital photo. Any model
    >>>recommendation? I've heard that the ink cartridges are the catch in

    >>buying
    >>
    >>>an inkjet - you should see how much they are to replace and/or re-fill.
    >>>
    >>>any tips?
    >>>
    >>>Howie
    >>>

    >>I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of ink.
    >>Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me

    > $80
    >
    >>about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once a
    >>week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.
    >>
    >>Bearman
    >>

    > Check out the prices for ink cartridges for the Canon i560. Pretty damn
    > cheap.
    >
    > Bearman

    Actually, check out the total price/page. IIRC Canon uses a separate
    print head whereas HP incorporates the print head into the cartridge.
    When you buy a new cartridge from HP you buy a new print head. When the
    Canon print head wears out you pay extra to replace it. Don't recall how
    many pages it's good for but I remember several years ago when I had a
    Canon it was cheaper to replace the printer than to replace the print
    head. (Or course while the original print head was wearing out printer
    prices had dropped dramatically. But the print head prices had not.)

    Also check the cartridge capacity (in number of pages at similar
    coverage-usually 5%). I've seen it with laser toner cartridges-one
    printer I have costs $50 for a replacement cartridge while the other
    costs $200. But the cartridge on the first produces 4K pages while the
    cartridge on the 2nd produces 20K. Turns out that the 2nd is cheaper per
    page even though it appears to be much more expensive at first glance.
    Calvin Crumrine, Aug 4, 2004
  10. Howie

    Plato Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > What are the ink cartridge costs to replace and/or refill? (that is my
    > biggest focus when buying a printer)...

    I've been using a Cannon S200 for over a year now. Black ink carts are
    six bucks and color 12 bucks. Never a paper jam. No problems at all. Odd
    that it was a 39 dollar printer. Best and most economic printer I ever
    had.
    Plato, Aug 4, 2004
  11. Howie

    bearman Guest

    "Calvin Crumrine" <> wrote in message
    > bearman wrote:
    >
    > > "bearman" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"Howie" <> wrote in message

    > >>buying

    > >>I'm using a Canon i560 and it works just fine Doesn't use a lot of

    ink.
    > >>Ink prices are low (at Costco and Sam's). Makes decent photos. Cost me

    > > $80
    > >
    > >>about six or seven months ago. Just make sure you run it at least once

    > >>week (do a nozzle check) if you don't use it frequently.
    > >>
    > >>Bearman
    > >>

    > > Check out the prices for ink cartridges for the Canon i560. Pretty damn
    > > cheap.
    > >
    > > Bearman
    > >

    > Actually, check out the total price/page. IIRC Canon uses a separate
    > print head whereas HP incorporates the print head into the cartridge.
    > When you buy a new cartridge from HP you buy a new print head. When the
    > Canon print head wears out you pay extra to replace it. Don't recall how
    > many pages it's good for but I remember several years ago when I had a
    > Canon it was cheaper to replace the printer than to replace the print
    > head. (Or course while the original print head was wearing out printer
    > prices had dropped dramatically. But the print head prices had not.)
    >
    > Also check the cartridge capacity (in number of pages at similar
    > coverage-usually 5%). I've seen it with laser toner cartridges-one
    > printer I have costs $50 for a replacement cartridge while the other
    > costs $200. But the cartridge on the first produces 4K pages while the
    > cartridge on the 2nd produces 20K. Turns out that the 2nd is cheaper per
    > page even though it appears to be much more expensive at first glance.

    If you run a nozzle check once a week (assuming you don't use the printer
    very often), the heads should stay clean (unclogged) and should last a long
    time. I use an HP Laserjet for day-to-day printing and use the Canon i560
    for anything that requires color, mostly photos.

    How do print heads wear out? Do they actually contact the paper and get
    abraded or what?

    Bearman
    bearman, Aug 4, 2004
  12. Howie

    VWWall Guest

    bearman wrote:

    > If you run a nozzle check once a week (assuming you don't use the printer
    > very often), the heads should stay clean (unclogged) and should last a long
    > time. I use an HP Laserjet for day-to-day printing and use the Canon i560
    > for anything that requires color, mostly photos.
    >
    > How do print heads wear out? Do they actually contact the paper and get
    > abraded or what?

    They're two kinds of ink-jet print heads. HP uses thermal heads which
    actually "boil" the ink onto the paper. Epson uses a piezoelectric
    head that "squirts" the ink. Both seem to work OK, and neither actually
    contacts the paper. The big problem for both is dried ink clogging up
    the tiny holes. With HP you get a new head with each cartridge.
    Epson's are built into the printer. Buying a new printer is cheaper than
    changing them! ;-)

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    VWWall, Aug 5, 2004
  13. VWWall wrote:
    > bearman wrote:
    >

    >> If you run a nozzle check once a week (assuming you don't use the printer
    >> very often), the heads should stay clean (unclogged) and should last a
    >> long
    >> time. I use an HP Laserjet for day-to-day printing and use the Canon
    >> i560
    >> for anything that requires color, mostly photos.
    >>
    >> How do print heads wear out? Do they actually contact the paper and get
    >> abraded or what?

    > They're two kinds of ink-jet print heads. HP uses thermal heads which
    > actually "boil" the ink onto the paper. Epson uses a piezoelectric head
    > that "squirts" the ink. Both seem to work OK, and neither actually
    > contacts the paper. The big problem for both is dried ink clogging up
    > the tiny holes. With HP you get a new head with each cartridge. Epson's
    > are built into the printer. Buying a new printer is cheaper than
    > changing them! ;-)
    >
    > Virg Wall

    So maybe 'wearing out' wasn't the best term. In my case the Canon was my
    main printer at the time & was used regularly so I'm pretty certain it
    wasn't clogging. But whatever caused the problem the diagnosis was that
    I needed a new print head so I replaced the printer.
    Calvin Crumrine, Aug 5, 2004