    Anybody know of a decent one that doesn't cost a ton of money? I don't
    need frills, just a good quality print in full-colour mode. For black and
    white, scanning etc. I've got the existing HP printer/scanner.

    Mike Graham, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Mike Graham

    Birk Binnard Guest

    I've got the Epson 1280 and have done many 12x36 panoramas with it.
    Technically it will do 13x44 (although the last time I did a 12x36 the
    printer driver indicated it could do much longer than 44" -- not sure if
    that's true.)

    uncurled....but the printer does a great job with big prints.
    ---------------
    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software
    http://www.birkbinnard.com

    Birk Binnard, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Mike Graham

    Ian Boag Guest

    Epson 3000. A2 size. Only 4-colour ink fill (great big separate
    reservoirs) but quality on these 16x20's is just fine.

    IB

    Ian Boag, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <bh6hha$t4kq3$-berlin.de>, PTRAVEL wrote:

    > It's a standard size for wide-carriage ink jets. However (and this is
    > personal opinion, only), the best way to display large prints is matted,
    > with a much larger frame around the matte.

    I agree there, so if I use a 16x20 frame then I just have to print 13x17.
    Mind you, that's kind of a small matte.. only 1.5 inches around.

    Mike Graham, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Mike Graham

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Mike Graham" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bh6hha$t4kq3$-berlin.de>, PTRAVEL wrote:
    >
    > > It's a standard size for wide-carriage ink jets. However (and this is
    > > personal opinion, only), the best way to display large prints is matted,
    > > with a much larger frame around the matte.

    > I agree there, so if I use a 16x20 frame then I just have to print

    13x17.
    > Mind you, that's kind of a small matte.. only 1.5 inches around.

    I've found that mattes don't have to be even on each side, i.e. the long
    side can be wider than the short side. When I get a chance, I'll measure my
    frames, which, I'm fairly sure, use more space on the long side than on the
    short side.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Mike Graham

    Tom Monego Guest

    Give yourself an edge for handling and matting print 12x16 (or so)should lay
    nicely in a 16x20 frame

    Tom

    In article <>,
    says...

    Tom Monego, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Mike Graham

    Tom Monego Guest

    Older print head technology, so the dot size is very visible, 4 inks is a
    slight disadvantage.
    A great printer though, tough as nails, has bulk inks, and you can buy other
    brand inks for it, like Lyson or MIS that last longer than the Epson inks.
    Rumor mill has a 6 or 7 ink replacement coming out in the fall for about
    $1500.

    Tom

    In article <>, says...

    Tom Monego, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Mike Graham

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >>Epson 3000.

    >From: (Tom Monego)
    >
    >Rumor mill has a 6 or 7 ink replacement coming out in the fall for about
    >$1500.

    Tom, I hope you're right about this, especially if it uses something like the
    Ultrachrome inks. The 13x19" printers like the 2200 are fine but a 17x22"
    printer like the 3000 would be super, especially for those of us shooting
    medium format and scanning at high res.

    It's nice to be able to print 16x20" (which seems to be the sweet spot at art
    shows, exhibits, etc) from the desktop without taking up the space a 7600
    requires.

    Where did you hear this rumor? Hope it's correct :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Bill, I am going to change the subject, even if I shouldn't, a few days
    ago you asked the Adobe chap about monitors, in particular the Sony
    Artisan (is it really self-calibrating?). Have you ever got a reply
    from him, or done any more research on the subject, or reached any
    conclusions? If so, could you share them please? Thanks.

    In article <>, Bill Hilton
    <> writes
    >>>Epson 3000.

    >Where did you hear this rumor? Hope it's correct :)
    >
    >Bill

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Aug 11, 2003
  10. Mike Graham

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: nobody nowhere

    >a few days
    >ago you asked the Adobe chap about monitors, in particular the Sony
    >Artisan (is it really self-calibrating?). Have you ever got a reply
    >from him, or done any more research on the subject, or reached any
    >conclusions?

    I asked Russell Williams if he knew anyone using this monitor but didn't hear
    back from him. Hopefully he's finishing up Photoshop 8 and thinking ahead to
    PS 9 :)

    Yes, it is "self-calibrating" in that it has the colorimeter built-in as part
    of the package. In theory this should make it more accurate, and easier to
    calibrate. The Barco monitors offer this but at a much higher price. One of
    our 21" Viewsonics is starting to age and we're thinking of replacing it with
    an Artisan.

    Here's a typical review ...
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/color_management/cm_02/essay.html I wanted to
    talk to an actual user to see if it matches the hype since it's about a $1,000
    more than some of the other quality 21" monitors (but a lot less than the Barco
    used to cost).

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 11, 2003
  11. Thank you very much indeed. Please let us know if and when you get the
    Artisan, and your views.

    In article <>, Bill Hilton
    <> writes
    >>From: nobody nowhere

    >>a few days
    >>ago you asked the Adobe chap about monitors, in particular the Sony
    >>Artisan (is it really self-calibrating?). Have you ever got a reply
    >>from him, or done any more research on the subject, or reached any
    >>conclusions?

    >I asked Russell Williams if he knew anyone using this monitor but didn't hear
    >back from him. Hopefully he's finishing up Photoshop 8 and thinking ahead to
    >PS 9 :)
    >
    >Yes, it is "self-calibrating" in that it has the colorimeter built-in as part
    >of the package. In theory this should make it more accurate, and easier to
    >calibrate. The Barco monitors offer this but at a much higher price. One of
    >our 21" Viewsonics is starting to age and we're thinking of replacing it with
    >an Artisan.
    >
    >Here's a typical review ...
    >http://www.outbackphoto.com/color_management/cm_02/essay.html I wanted to
    >talk to an actual user to see if it matches the hype since it's about a $1,000
    >more than some of the other quality 21" monitors (but a lot less than the Barco
    >used to cost).
    >
    >Bill

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Aug 11, 2003