    I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.

    Thanks
    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Nov 8, 2012

  2. On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 17:34:39 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
    >column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
    >of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
    >happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
    >of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
    >the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
    >as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
    >turned off.
    >
    >I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Gib

    What about a burned out head as that is what Bubble Jets do, a lot of
    Canon printers has user replaceable print heads.

    Frank Williams, Nov 8, 2012

  3. On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 17:34:39 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
    >column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
    >of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
    >happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
    >of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
    >the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
    >as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
    >turned off.
    >
    >I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Gib

    Yes they use a very small wire element that causes the ink to bubble, as
    they use Water or Alcohol based Ink that does not help the print head to
    last, I think I read some ware that 2 years was a expected life span,
    but that would depend on how much its used.

    This is why I stick to Epson, its a Real Ink Jet.

    Frank Williams, Nov 8, 2012
  4. Gib Bogle

    Handy One Guest

    On 8/11/2012 5:34 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
    > column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
    > of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
    > happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
    > of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
    > the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
    > as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
    > turned off.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gib

    A weak solution of bleach and warm water cleans print heads far better
    and easier than alcohol. Just soak the print head for a while, then dab
    it lightly with some clean tissue paper to dry it. If that doesn't do
    the trick, the print head is stuffed.

    Handy One, Nov 8, 2012
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 8/11/2012 5:34 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > My Canon Pixma iP3000 has suddenly stopped printing exactly half of the
    > column of black pixels. That is, I get about 6.5 mm of the total width
    > of 13 mm that it should print in one sweep. This is so clear cut (and
    > happened from one print to the next) that I don't believe it is an issue
    > of blocked jets. Anyway, I've done many cycles of jet cleaning, taken
    > the print head off and cleaned it with alcohol, all to no avail. It is
    > as if control to the jets on half of the black print head has been
    > turned off.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone else has ever seen a symptom like this.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gib

    Thanks for the suggestions about possible breaks in the signal path. I
    suspect I'm going to need a new print head (if that's buyable). Or a
    new printer.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 9, 2012
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 9/11/2012 2:49 p.m., Tony wrote:

    >> Thanks for the suggestions about possible breaks in the signal path. I
    >> suspect I'm going to need a new print head (if that's buyable). Or a
    >> new printer.

    > The printhead is available but not cheap. Maybe cheaper to look at a new
    > printer.

    That's what I was thinking.

    > See
    > http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=493199
    > but out of stock.
    > It may be in stock elsewhere, or overseas
    > like http://www.securesysteminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0064.html
    > You would need to shop around, there may be cheaper sources.
    > Good luck
    > Tony

    Thanks Tony.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 9, 2012
  7. Gib Bogle

    Seagull Guest

    "Gib Bogle" wrote in message news:k7iaen$g65$...

    On 9/11/2012 2:49 p.m., Tony wrote:

    >> Thanks for the suggestions about possible breaks in the signal path. I
    >> suspect I'm going to need a new print head (if that's buyable). Or a
    >> new printer.

    > The printhead is available but not cheap. Maybe cheaper to look at a new
    > printer.

    That's what I was thinking.

    > See
    > http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?PageID=ProductDetail&pf_id=493199
    > but out of stock.
    > It may be in stock elsewhere, or overseas
    > like http://www.securesysteminsight.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_QY6_0064.html
    > You would need to shop around, there may be cheaper sources.
    > Good luck
    > Tony

    Thanks Tony.

    I suggest checking out Trademe
    I bought a similar model printer for $5.00 and got a working print head off
    it.Then I junked the rest.

    Many people auction their printer when the cartridges run out as it as
    almost as cheap to by a new printer as a set of ink cartridges.
    I also bought another Canon printer for $1.00 with a jammed paper feed just
    for the CD tray.
    I turned it over and a marble fell out. That fixed it and it is still going
    strong 2 years later.

    Seagull, Nov 9, 2012
  8. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/11/2012 12:21 a.m., Seagull wrote:

    > I suggest checking out Trademe
    > I bought a similar model printer for $5.00 and got a working print head
    > off it.Then I junked the rest.

    That thought had occurred to me.

    > Many people auction their printer when the cartridges run out as it as
    > almost as cheap to by a new printer as a set of ink cartridges.
    > I also bought another Canon printer for $1.00 with a jammed paper feed
    > just for the CD tray.
    > I turned it over and a marble fell out. That fixed it and it is still
    > going strong 2 years later.

    Good score!

    Gib Bogle, Nov 9, 2012
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Nov 9, 2012
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/11/2012 1:34 p.m., Tony wrote:
    > Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> I found this:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJzLSBhs9w

    > Yes go for it, I doubt it will fix the problem but you may feel better.
    > By the way. The ip3000 was a good printer when released.
    > Canon printers suffer from head clogs less often than most makes and they can
    > often be left unused for weeks without a hitch (unlike Epson, Epson printers
    > need regular use to prevent head clogs but have arguably better photo quality).
    > Tony

    I've been happy with it (never had a head clog) except for the fact that
    I never managed to figure out how to access it from W7 when it was a
    network printer (connected to the ADSL router).

    Someone is selling an iP3000 in "excellent" condition on TradeMe for
    buy-now at $45. That seems a bit high, since I don't recall it costing
    much more than that new, although that was a few years ago and my memory
    is getting a bit unreliable.

    Here's a possible lead on the printhead problem that you might like to
    comment on. Getting sick of the periodic refusal to print because the
    coloured inks were empty (I use only black) I had the bright idea of
    putting water in them to make them seem full. It was a week or so after
    this that the problem developed. Is this coincidence or causality?

    Gib Bogle, Nov 10, 2012
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/11/2012 5:12 p.m., Tony wrote:

    > I cannot see any reason why that would cause the problem. The printhead has 4
    > sets of nozzles, one for each colour and one for black. The cartridges are not
    > chipped on that printer.
    > In rare cases the printhead laminate (fixed over the nozzles) can fail (mainly
    > in older HP cartridges after several refills) and leaching can occur from one
    > set of nozzles to another. This would cause contamination of one colour by
    > another but would not cause an absence of ink I don't think. In any event if
    > that happened the print head is beyond hope. Coincidence I am sure.
    > $45 seems a bit high, I cannot remember what ip3000 printers used to cost but I
    > suspect in the region of $70, I bought an ip4000 about 5 years ago and I think
    > that was about $100 but could be way out. Still going strong and not used often.
    > Bear in mind that most printers now used chipped cartridges so the filling with
    > water trick is not enough without resetting the chip (assuming it can be done
    > for the model you buy).
    > If you only use black maybe a cheap Samsung or Brother monochrome laser printer
    > would be better, they cost more to buy but the cost of printing over time is
    > much lower than an inkjet and you will get something over 1000 average pages
    > for each toner refill although the drum will need replacing at about 10,000
    > pages (those figures are from memory but if you would like more detail I can
    > find out the real figures easily).
    > I have a very old Brother HL-1440 mono laser printer which does 99% of my
    > printing, cheap as chips to run and runs on Win7 using an old DSE print server
    > through a router to my network. They are probably available cheap on TradeMe
    > but be sure to ask if the fuser is OK, that will leave marks on the paper if it
    > is aging.
    > Happy to help further if I can.
    > Tony

    Thanks for that info. For my level of usage (very low) I prefer a
    cheapo inkjet printer to a laser. I have just noticed that the Canon
    multifunction MG2160 is selling new for about $45. Clearly it's pretty
    basic, but that suits me, and I like the idea of getting a
    scanner/copier. It looks like it might be a better deal than the used
    iP3000. Any knowledge of this one? I need to be able to replace/refill
    the black cartridge separately. Thanks again.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 10, 2012
  12. Gib Bogle

    Seagull Guest

    "Gib Bogle" wrote in message news:k7kahg$ee5$...

    On 10/11/2012 1:34 p.m., Tony wrote:
    > Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> I found this:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJzLSBhs9w

    > Yes go for it, I doubt it will fix the problem but you may feel better.
    > By the way. The ip3000 was a good printer when released.
    > Canon printers suffer from head clogs less often than most makes and they
    > can
    > often be left unused for weeks without a hitch (unlike Epson, Epson
    > printers
    > need regular use to prevent head clogs but have arguably better photo
    > quality).
    > Tony

    I've been happy with it (never had a head clog) except for the fact that
    I never managed to figure out how to access it from W7 when it was a
    network printer (connected to the ADSL router).

    Someone is selling an iP3000 in "excellent" condition on TradeMe for
    buy-now at $45. That seems a bit high, since I don't recall it costing
    much more than that new, although that was a few years ago and my memory
    is getting a bit unreliable.

    Here's a possible lead on the printhead problem that you might like to
    comment on. Getting sick of the periodic refusal to print because the
    coloured inks were empty (I use only black) I had the bright idea of
    putting water in them to make them seem full. It was a week or so after
    this that the problem developed. Is this coincidence or causality?

    i don't know how much of a gambler you are but
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/printers/ink-jet-bubble-jet/auction-530866944.htm

    It is a IP 3000 (not functioning) $10.00 at the moment. Of course the print
    head could be the problem, but ask the seller.

    You will probably find that any Canon printer that uses the same ink
    cartridge also has the same print head so you could possibly widen your
    search

    If the seller is at the other end of the country then to save shipping costs
    I have several times asked the vendor to remove the part I need and throw
    the rest away. Most agreed and only one was reluctant.

    Seagull

    Seagull, Nov 10, 2012
  13. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/11/2012 5:54 p.m., Seagull wrote:

    > i don't know how much of a gambler you are but
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/printers/ink-jet-bubble-jet/auction-530866944.htm
    >

    > It is a IP 3000 (not functioning) $10.00 at the moment. Of course the
    > print head could be the problem, but ask the seller.
    >
    > You will probably find that any Canon printer that uses the same ink
    > cartridge also has the same print head so you could possibly widen your
    > search
    >
    > If the seller is at the other end of the country then to save shipping
    > costs I have several times asked the vendor to remove the part I need
    > and throw the rest away. Most agreed and only one was reluctant.
    >
    > Seagull

    Thanks, I didn't see that one. Getting him to send just the print head
    makes sense. A gamble, for sure. As I told Tony, I'm now pondering
    getting a new MG2160, mainly for the scanner/copier.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 10, 2012
  14. Gib Bogle

    Seagull Guest

    "Gib Bogle" wrote in message news:k7klvu$3br$...

    On 10/11/2012 5:12 p.m., Tony wrote:

    Thanks for that info. For my level of usage (very low) I prefer a
    cheapo inkjet printer to a laser. I have just noticed that the Canon
    multifunction MG2160 is selling new for about $45. Clearly it's pretty
    basic, but that suits me, and I like the idea of getting a
    scanner/copier. It looks like it might be a better deal than the used
    iP3000. Any knowledge of this one? I need to be able to replace/refill
    the black cartridge separately. Thanks again.

    Be aware that Canon almost give away the more basic printer/scanners but aim
    to make a fat profit on the ink.

    This from NZ PC World Review

    A pair of the ‘standard’ ink cartridges will set you back $68, and according
    to vendor-supplied cartridge yields, will give you a per-page cost of
    approximately 18 cents/page black and 38 cents/page colour. High-yield ‘XL’
    ink cartridges are available for $110 per set, which offer lower print costs
    of 12 cents/page black and 27 cents/page colour. Finally, an ‘XXL’ black
    cartridge, available for heavy monochrome printing, lowers page cost to just
    10 cents/page black.

    Seagull

    Seagull, Nov 10, 2012
  15. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/11/2012 6:09 p.m., Seagull wrote:

    > "Gib Bogle" wrote in message news:k7klvu$3br$...
    >
    > On 10/11/2012 5:12 p.m., Tony wrote:
    >

    > Thanks for that info. For my level of usage (very low) I prefer a
    > cheapo inkjet printer to a laser. I have just noticed that the Canon
    > multifunction MG2160 is selling new for about $45. Clearly it's pretty
    > basic, but that suits me, and I like the idea of getting a
    > scanner/copier. It looks like it might be a better deal than the used
    > iP3000. Any knowledge of this one? I need to be able to replace/refill
    > the black cartridge separately. Thanks again.
    >
    > Be aware that Canon almost give away the more basic printer/scanners but
    > aim to make a fat profit on the ink.
    >
    > This from NZ PC World Review
    >
    > A pair of the ‘standard’ ink cartridges will set you back $68, and
    > according to vendor-supplied cartridge yields, will give you a per-page
    > cost of approximately 18 cents/page black and 38 cents/page colour.
    > High-yield ‘XL’ ink cartridges are available for $110 per set, which
    > offer lower print costs of 12 cents/page black and 27 cents/page colour.
    > Finally, an ‘XXL’ black cartridge, available for heavy monochrome
    > printing, lowers page cost to just 10 cents/page black.
    >
    > Seagull

    I saw that. I don't use colour at all, so it's just the cost of black I
    care about. I recently made my first purchase of filled cartridges from
    inkvenus.co.nz. The price for these compatibles was very good, and the
    print quality is good enough for me. I need to check what they can
    supply the MG2160 cartridges for......... They are out of stock of the
    basic black cartridge ($30), but have the XL for $41 and the XXL for
    $46. As far as I can see these are Canon cartridges, not compatibles,
    unfortunately.

    The box for the iP3000 compatible cartridge has a list of other Canon
    printers that use it, and I can search TradeMe for these as well:
    Pixma MP750, MP780, iP4000, iP4000R, iP5000.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 10, 2012
  16. Gib Bogle

    Possible Guest

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 18:34:51 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >>I found this:
    >>
    >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJzLSBhs9w

    >Yes go for it, I doubt it will fix the problem but you may feel better.
    >By the way. The ip3000 was a good printer when released.
    >Canon printers suffer from head clogs less often than most makes and they can
    >often be left unused for weeks without a hitch (unlike Epson, Epson printers
    >need regular use to prevent head clogs but have arguably better photo quality).
    >Tony

    And Epson heads do not burn out, I just brought a from a SH shop a
    Epson R390 6 Colour's has its own Colour's screen and prints on CD's,
    this had all parts as new but been in storage, for some years, I told
    the dealer that the head might be clogged after being in storage for
    some years, he could not get it to work, it was referring to a
    cartridge problem so he offered it as is for $20, it turned out the chip
    in the cartridge was stuffed, got a cheap cartridge and did a print head
    test 100%, and then printed 3 pictures of the ink that was left in the
    Original cartridges that came with the printer, as it comes with limited
    fill cartridges, that cant buy in a shop.

    I have had some 5 Epson's and its dead easy to clear a clocked head, but
    you must never turn off the printer at the mains and it must be turned
    on about one or 2 weeks, and then turn off.

    I use a PC cleaning wipes that come folded in a pad, I don't know the
    solvent that is in them but its ok for plastic, un park the print head
    and place the pad on the head parking place and slide the print head
    over it and leave it for a few hours, this worked on a printer that had
    not been used for 5 years.

    Only once I had to remove a head and soak in some kitchen cleaner, but
    that was only 0.3mm deep and washed it off , replacing the head it was
    easy on this model has the head mounting pined, no need for aliment,
    but that was long before I had these cleaning pads.

    I think you can still get these pads but no brand

    Lists PC-01 and a label on the box is CT-CD742

    Possible, Nov 10, 2012
  17. On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:12:39 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Gib Bogle <> wrote:

    >>> Yes go for it, I doubt it will fix the problem but you may feel better.
    >>> By the way. The ip3000 was a good printer when released.
    >>> Canon printers suffer from head clogs less often than most makes and they can
    >>> often be left unused for weeks without a hitch (unlike Epson, Epson printers
    >>> need regular use to prevent head clogs but have arguably better photo
    >>>quality).
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >>I've been happy with it (never had a head clog) except for the fact that
    >>I never managed to figure out how to access it from W7 when it was a
    >>network printer (connected to the ADSL router).
    >>
    >>Someone is selling an iP3000 in "excellent" condition on TradeMe for
    >>buy-now at $45. That seems a bit high, since I don't recall it costing
    >>much more than that new, although that was a few years ago and my memory
    >>is getting a bit unreliable.
    >>
    >>Here's a possible lead on the printhead problem that you might like to
    >>comment on. Getting sick of the periodic refusal to print because the
    >>coloured inks were empty (I use only black) I had the bright idea of
    >>putting water in them to make them seem full. It was a week or so after
    >>this that the problem developed. Is this coincidence or causality?

    >I cannot see any reason why that would cause the problem. The printhead has 4
    >sets of nozzles, one for each colour and one for black. The cartridges are not
    >chipped on that printer.
    >In rare cases the printhead laminate (fixed over the nozzles) can fail (mainly
    >in older HP cartridges after several refills) and leaching can occur from one
    >set of nozzles to another. This would cause contamination of one colour by
    >another but would not cause an absence of ink I don't think. In any event if
    >that happened the print head is beyond hope. Coincidence I am sure.
    >$45 seems a bit high, I cannot remember what ip3000 printers used to cost but I
    >suspect in the region of $70, I bought an ip4000 about 5 years ago and I think
    >that was about $100 but could be way out. Still going strong and not used often.
    >Bear in mind that most printers now used chipped cartridges so the filling with
    >water trick is not enough without resetting the chip (assuming it can be done
    >for the model you buy).
    >If you only use black maybe a cheap Samsung or Brother monochrome laser printer
    >would be better, they cost more to buy but the cost of printing over time is
    >much lower than an inkjet and you will get something over 1000 average pages

    A lot more than that 1500 for the basic toner and 3000 for a normal one,
    the drum does not need replacing if it not marked or damaged

    You can get some 500 or more pages by covering up the sense holes.

    I have a HL-2040 that I got from the Tip for $2, blocked the sense holes
    and reset the cartridge sense lever and it lasted for some 6 month,
    found a new Toner as a OP shop for $10, I have a copy of the service
    manual and its dead easy to reset the counters.

    Frank Williams, Nov 10, 2012
  18. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/11/2012 6:38 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 10/11/2012 5:12 p.m., Tony wrote:
    >> I have a very old Brother HL-1440 mono laser printer which does 99% of my
    >> printing, cheap as chips to run and runs on Win7 using an old DSE
    >> print server
    >> through a router to my network. They are probably available cheap on
    >> TradeMe
    >> but be sure to ask if the fuser is OK, that will leave marks on the
    >> paper if it
    >> is aging.

    > There's a HL1230 sitting here (Onehunga-ish) that is free to a good home
    > if Gib wants to collect it.

    Hi EMB. Tell me more!

    Gib Bogle, Nov 10, 2012
  19. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    On 11/11/2012 10:15 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 10/11/2012 6:38 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >> On 10/11/2012 5:12 p.m., Tony wrote:
    >>> I have a very old Brother HL-1440 mono laser printer which does 99%
    >>> of my
    >>> printing, cheap as chips to run and runs on Win7 using an old DSE
    >>> print server
    >>> through a router to my network. They are probably available cheap on
    >>> TradeMe
    >>> but be sure to ask if the fuser is OK, that will leave marks on the
    >>> paper if it
    >>> is aging.

    >> There's a HL1230 sitting here (Onehunga-ish) that is free to a good home
    >> if Gib wants to collect it.

    > Hi EMB. Tell me more!

    It's a Brother mono laser of some age. It is reputed to have had a
    recent new toner, and I can vouch for it having had a new drum not
    terribly many pages ago. My email address works - drop me a phone
    number and I'll give you a call.

    EMB, Nov 11, 2012