    9pm and want to put it in a glass frame (no matt) tomorrow at about 10am
    (need to give it as a gift and don't have time to wait for a full 24
    hours).

    nosredna, Nov 21, 2003

  2. nosredna

    Paul Heslop Guest

    nosredna wrote:

    > Instructions for my Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy paper tell me to let
    > prints dry for 24 hours before doing anything with them. How crucial is
    > that for a 5x7 print? Is overnight drying enough? I printed one at about
    > 9pm and want to put it in a glass frame (no matt) tomorrow at about 10am
    > (need to give it as a gift and don't have time to wait for a full 24
    > hours).

    I've yet to know an image which wasn't dry within 24 hours, but like wet
    paint sometimes it can feel dry but still have a residual wetness which
    isn't obvious except under longer contact. Someone mentioned here a
    while back that you shouldn't mount your image directly behind glass but
    with a mask... I assume they meant the thin card rectangle inner frame?

    Paul Heslop, Nov 21, 2003

  3. nosredna

    ERich10983 Guest

    I depends a lot on the paper. I've used some combinations of ink and paper
    that never dried properly. It was more of a problem with my HP970 and really
    cheap Sam's Club paper than with my Canon S9000. I usually try to wait at
    least 4 hours before dry mounting or putting the print into glassine holders.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH

    ERich10983, Nov 21, 2003
  4. nosredna

    Ripley7173 Guest

    > Someone mentioned here a
    >while back that you shouldn't mount your image directly behind glass but
    >with a mask... I assume they meant the thin card rectangle inner frame?

    I think you mean a mat. And yes, if the picture is something you want to keep
    for a long time (vs. a snapshot that will be changed out within a year) a mat,
    or some type of spacer between the print and glass is highly recommended. I
    can't even count how many people have come into my frameshop over the years
    with ruined photos because they fused to the glass. Moisture plays a big role
    in this too, so if there's ANY question of it not being dry, glass directly on
    it would be a bad thing.

    Ripley7173, Nov 21, 2003
  5. nosredna

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ERich10983 wrote:

    > I depends a lot on the paper. I've used some combinations of ink and paper
    > that never dried properly. It was more of a problem with my HP970 and really
    > cheap Sam's Club paper than with my Canon S9000. I usually try to wait at
    > least 4 hours before dry mounting or putting the print into glassine holders.
    >
    > Earle Rich
    > Mont Vernon, NH

    Yeah, I forgot to mention that matte paper dries almost instantly

    Paul Heslop, Nov 21, 2003
  6. nosredna

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ripley7173 wrote:

    > > Someone mentioned here a
    > >while back that you shouldn't mount your image directly behind glass but
    > >with a mask... I assume they meant the thin card rectangle inner frame?
    > >

    > I think you mean a mat. And yes, if the picture is something you want to keep
    > for a long time (vs. a snapshot that will be changed out within a year) a mat,
    > or some type of spacer between the print and glass is highly recommended. I
    > can't even count how many people have come into my frameshop over the years
    > with ruined photos because they fused to the glass. Moisture plays a big role
    > in this too, so if there's ANY question of it not being dry, glass directly on
    > it would be a bad thing.

    Am I right in thinking this would be more for glossy than matte paper? I
    have framed a few matte prints which seem fine.

    Paul Heslop, Nov 21, 2003
  7. nosredna

    nosredna Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > nosredna wrote:
    > >
    > > Instructions for my Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy paper tell me to let
    > > prints dry for 24 hours before doing anything with them. How crucial is
    > > that for a 5x7 print? Is overnight drying enough? I printed one at about
    > > 9pm and want to put it in a glass frame (no matt) tomorrow at about 10am
    > > (need to give it as a gift and don't have time to wait for a full 24
    > > hours).

    > I've yet to know an image which wasn't dry within 24 hours, but like wet
    > paint sometimes it can feel dry but still have a residual wetness which
    > isn't obvious except under longer contact. Someone mentioned here a
    > while back that you shouldn't mount your image directly behind glass but
    > with a mask... I assume they meant the thin card rectangle inner frame?

    I'm using one of those slide-the-photo-in stand-up frames and I don't
    think there's not enough room for a mat. I think I'll just make a very
    narrow mat from some extra thick paper and see if it'll slide in with
    the photo. It's not a super high quality photo, and it's a gift vs work
    for a paying client. I'll tell my friend that if the photo starts
    looking weird I'll do another print and use a mat and different frame.
    Thanks to all for your tips for my last-minute-rush gift idea!

    nosredna, Nov 21, 2003