    HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with Ko-Rec-Type
    ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow inks
    that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

    Mike Graham, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Mike Graham

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Mike Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP PSC
    > 750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
    > cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the stuff
    > that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that the
    > HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
    > use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the

    stock
    > HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with

    Ko-Rec-Type
    > ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow

    inks
    > that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

    Easy test to do. Print one on HP and the cheap stuff. There's the answer.
    I always prefer single-malt Scotch to moonshine. Costs more..tastes better.

    Jim Waggener, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Mike Graham

    Mark M Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Graham" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP

    PSC
    > > 750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
    > > cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the

    stuff
    > > that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that

    the
    > > HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
    > > use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the

    > stock
    > > HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with

    > Ko-Rec-Type
    > > ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow

    > inks
    > > that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

    > Easy test to do. Print one on HP and the cheap stuff. There's the

    answer.
    > I always prefer single-malt Scotch to moonshine. Costs more..tastes

    better.

    Not true.
    Your suggestion will compare initial appearance ONLY.
    Longevity issues with fading and color shifts are far more complicated to
    test, and are far more likely to manifest themselves eventually.
    Mark M, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Mike Graham

    Savidge4 Guest

    > I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP PSC
    >750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
    >cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the stuff
    >that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that the
    >HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
    >use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the stock
    >HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with Ko-Rec-Type
    >ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow inks
    >that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

    All inks are not created equal. If your intention is to simply use the black
    ink for "standard" output, meaning letters and text, then the "cheap" stuff is
    fine. The moment you want more from the ink, I am a personal believer in the
    HP line to use HP ink.

    The moment you get into photo papers and the like you are no longer printing on
    paper you are setting a chemical reaction in action. From my own personal
    tests I have never found a replacement (for HP) that equals the ink from HP.

    Generally speaking with 2nd party inks they tend to sit on the surface and
    never adhere to the specialty media.

    now if we were talking about Epson products the answer would be the exact
    opposite, and I would say that there are actually inks that perform better than
    Epsons own inks.

    I often wonder why the likes of Lyson or Ilford do not make inks for HP.
    Savidge4, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Mike Graham

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 13/8/03 4:45 am, "Mark M" <> wrote:

    > Your suggestion will compare initial appearance ONLY.
    > Longevity issues with fading and color shifts are far more complicated to
    > test, and are far more likely to manifest themselves eventually.

    Not to mention clogging of print heads, and related problems. I tried a
    third party ink refill system a few years ago, and I wouldn't touch then
    with a 10 foot pole now.

    Pat
    --
    Photos at:
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251
    Pat Chaney, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Savidge4 wrote:

    > The moment you get into photo papers and the like you are no longer printing on
    > paper you are setting a chemical reaction in action. From my own personal
    > tests I have never found a replacement (for HP) that equals the ink from HP.

    Do you happen to know if HP sells the ink separately? I've already got
    'the technology' to put the ink in the cartridge... if I can buy bottles of
    yellow/cyan/magenta ink from HP then I'd be off to the races. Those
    cartridges cost a bundle! And it seems like you always run out of just one
    colour, 85% through an 8x10 print. :cool:

    Mike Graham, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Mike Graham

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike Graham wrote:
    > In article <nwi_a.43883$Bp2.11109@fed1read07>, Mark M wrote:
    >

    >>Not true.
    >>Your suggestion will compare initial appearance ONLY.
    >>Longevity issues with fading and color shifts are far more complicated to
    >>test, and are far more likely to manifest themselves eventually.

    > So is there some resource somewhere that compares the inks and will give
    > me the information that I desire?

    To say 'ink is ink' is like saying coffee is coffee. You get what you
    pay for.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <rQp_a.4852$>, Paul Cordes wrote:

    > Some reading here
    > http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/WIR_Permanence_06_2000.pdf
    > But I don't think that he has tested your ink.
    > What you will see that the ink and paper combination makes a huge difference
    > on longevity of prints.

    I have so far used only HPs Premium Plus photo paper (usually matte, since
    I frame under glass) so it looks like my paper choice has been a good one.
    Mind you, I'm not using a six-ink system, so maybe I'm not getting all of
    the longevity I could hope for, but it'll do for the moment. I can always
    re-print.

    Mike Graham, Aug 13, 2003