Ink cartridges & toners ~ 3rd party units

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    I have just started purchasing non-genuine ink and toner
    cartridges....$70 v $20 for a black Epson C70 cartridge decided it was
    worth a shot...

    So far I have had the C70 black cartridge 2 weeks and had to do 3 major
    cleans to it (basically I print every Friday for Saturday's work). While
    having had the printer 4 years, at most a genuine cartridge needed one
    clean during its life....so I am not impressed...the black only needs
    cleaning but it cleans all the other colours at the same time so its
    costing me lots of expensive Epson ink from the other three...

    The make is Uni-1 its a so called iso9001 company, anybody else had good
    or bad results?

    My experience with ISO means, "we can consistantly make crap" ie it
    means nothing......biggest joke out....but that is another story....

    Can anyone recommend a make of good 3rd party ink cartridges for Epson's
    and HP's and good companies to buy off?

    My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...

    I also bought a 3rd party toner for the HP 5N, and I have used 3rd party
    cartridges for years with only the odd issue. This time the drum was
    scored so it printed a horizontal line every revolution....I sent it
    back but had to wait a week, but the company was fine to deal with on
    the phone, if a bit slow.... Still I have used them twice and both times
    thier product has not impressed...

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004

  2. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:26:00 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >I have just started purchasing non-genuine ink and toner
    >cartridges....$70 v $20 for a black Epson C70 cartridge decided it was
    >worth a shot...
    >
    >So far I have had the C70 black cartridge 2 weeks and had to do 3 major
    >cleans to it (basically I print every Friday for Saturday's work). While
    >having had the printer 4 years, at most a genuine cartridge needed one
    >clean during its life....so I am not impressed...the black only needs
    >cleaning but it cleans all the other colours at the same time so its
    >costing me lots of expensive Epson ink from the other three...
    >
    >The make is Uni-1 its a so called iso9001 company, anybody else had good
    >or bad results?
    >
    >My experience with ISO means, "we can consistantly make crap" ie it
    >means nothing......biggest joke out....but that is another story....
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a make of good 3rd party ink cartridges for Epson's
    >and HP's and good companies to buy off?
    >
    >My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    >spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    >another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...
    >
    >I also bought a 3rd party toner for the HP 5N, and I have used 3rd party
    >cartridges for years with only the odd issue. This time the drum was
    >scored so it printed a horizontal line every revolution....I sent it
    >back but had to wait a week, but the company was fine to deal with on
    >the phone, if a bit slow.... Still I have used them twice and both times
    >thier product has not impressed...
    >
    >:/
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    You should ONLY USE JET TEC Tanks.

    UK Made and have the Queens Award..

    http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=89

    Epson printers must be turned on one a week, as that puts them through a
    cleaning cycle..

    Plus your print head needs to be removed and cleaned, the jets get partial
    clogs that can only be removed by a clean, at a far less cost, you could try
    a cleaning cartridge.

    Karen Parker, Aug 21, 2004

  3. thing

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:

    > My experience with ISO means, "we can consistantly make crap" ie it
    > means nothing......biggest joke out....but that is another story....

    ISO 900x certification means they are good at paperwork and keeping
    records, it says nothing about the quality of their products except that
    it's consistent (ie. always bloody awful) and documented.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Aug 21, 2004
  4. thing

    thing Guest

    Karen wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:26:00 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have just started purchasing non-genuine ink and toner
    >>cartridges....$70 v $20 for a black Epson C70 cartridge decided it was
    >>worth a shot...
    >>
    >>So far I have had the C70 black cartridge 2 weeks and had to do 3 major
    >>cleans to it (basically I print every Friday for Saturday's work). While
    >>having had the printer 4 years, at most a genuine cartridge needed one
    >>clean during its life....so I am not impressed...the black only needs
    >>cleaning but it cleans all the other colours at the same time so its
    >>costing me lots of expensive Epson ink from the other three...
    >>
    >>The make is Uni-1 its a so called iso9001 company, anybody else had good
    >>or bad results?
    >>
    >>My experience with ISO means, "we can consistantly make crap" ie it
    >>means nothing......biggest joke out....but that is another story....
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend a make of good 3rd party ink cartridges for Epson's
    >>and HP's and good companies to buy off?
    >>
    >>My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    >>spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    >>another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...
    >>
    >>I also bought a 3rd party toner for the HP 5N, and I have used 3rd party
    >>cartridges for years with only the odd issue. This time the drum was
    >>scored so it printed a horizontal line every revolution....I sent it
    >>back but had to wait a week, but the company was fine to deal with on
    >>the phone, if a bit slow.... Still I have used them twice and both times
    >>thier product has not impressed...
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > You should ONLY USE JET TEC Tanks.
    >
    > UK Made and have the Queens Award..
    >
    > http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=89
    >
    > Epson printers must be turned on one a week, as that puts them through a
    > cleaning cycle..
    >
    > Plus your print head needs to be removed and cleaned, the jets get partial
    > clogs that can only be removed by a clean, at a far less cost, you could try
    > a cleaning cartridge.

    This thing has a UKAS tick with a Crown emblem.....

    The genuine cartridges needed no such heavy maintenance....

    :/

    but I might well try your suggestion, Im not buying these again...

    thanks

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >

    >> My experience with ISO means, "we can consistantly make crap" ie it
    >> means nothing......biggest joke out....but that is another story....

    > ISO 900x certification means they are good at paperwork and keeping
    > records, it says nothing about the quality of their products except that
    > it's consistent (ie. always bloody awful) and documented.

    lol, yeah that has been my experience, companies that have isos
    creditation to me has meant they have employed accountant type admin wee
    gnomes to keep lots of records instead of employing real
    engineers....and often the engineers leave because they get snowed under
    by excessive and stupid paper work....

    At one stage a company I worked for produced a 32 page document which I
    had to fill in for each project...The actual project was tiny and
    consisted of 4 x A4 pages.....

    regards

    thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004
  6. thing

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:26:00 +1200, thing wrote:

    > My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    > spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    > another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...

    Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.

    The proprietary cartridges are about the same price (about $20 per
    cartridge including colour cartridges) as the budget brands for other
    models - so much so that I have yet to see a budget brand cartridge for
    the Epson C83. Also they contain heaps of ink as the C83 is designed to
    print out shitloads at a time.

    If you print out lots each week this printer will end up paying for itself
    with the cost savings in consumables.

    I bought one of them and I have been very pleased with it's performance.

    It works well with Mandrake/CUPS. Windows software is also supplied.

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.

    Divine, Aug 21, 2004
  7. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:14:39 +1200, Divine <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:26:00 +1200, thing wrote:
    >
    >> My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    >> spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    >> another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...

    >Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.

    Yes a pit pointless when its a obsolete model..

    Do some research before you post again..

    Plus this firms does sell C83 Tanks that contain 30% more ink, so do some
    research as you are posting fake INFO..

    http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91&page=5

    Jet Tec brand, made in UK..

    Karen Parker, Aug 21, 2004
  8. thing

    thing Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:26:00 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    >>spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    >>another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...

    > Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    > resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.
    >
    > The proprietary cartridges are about the same price (about $20 per
    > cartridge including colour cartridges) as the budget brands for other
    > models - so much so that I have yet to see a budget brand cartridge for
    > the Epson C83. Also they contain heaps of ink as the C83 is designed to
    > print out shitloads at a time.
    >
    > If you print out lots each week this printer will end up paying for itself
    > with the cost savings in consumables.
    >
    > I bought one of them and I have been very pleased with it's performance.
    >
    > It works well with Mandrake/CUPS. Windows software is also supplied.
    >

    > Divine

    I'm actually considering getting a Colour Laser printer for a xmas present.

    Just need to decide on which one...

    Needs Linux and Mac compatibility..

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004
  9. thing

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:51:31 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:

    >>Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >>resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.

    > Yes a pit pointless when its a obsolete model..
    >
    > Do some research before you post again..
    >

    > Plus this firms does sell C83 Tanks that contain 30% more ink, so do some
    > research as you are posting fake INFO..

    LOL - I was posting my OPINION based on having not too long ago purchased
    a C83.

    Have you, Woger, purchased and been using an Epson C83? Or are you just
    spouting your usual CRAP?

    Divine

    --
    /'_/)
    ,/_ /

    Divine, Aug 21, 2004
  10. thing

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:26:53 +1200, thing wrote:

    >> Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >> resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.
    >>
    >> The proprietary cartridges are about the same price (about $20 per
    >> cartridge including colour cartridges) as the budget brands for other
    >> models - so much so that I have yet to see a budget brand cartridge for
    >> the Epson C83. Also they contain heaps of ink as the C83 is designed to
    >> print out shitloads at a time.
    >>
    >> If you print out lots each week this printer will end up paying for itself
    >> with the cost savings in consumables.
    >>
    >> I bought one of them and I have been very pleased with it's performance.
    >>
    >> It works well with Mandrake/CUPS. Windows software is also supplied.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > I'm actually considering getting a Colour Laser printer for a xmas present.
    >
    > Just need to decide on which one...
    >
    > Needs Linux and Mac compatibility..

    Cool!

    Further information about the C83...

    I've printed out several very high-res A4 photographic images onto glossy
    photo paper, as well as normal daily printing needs, and I've STILL got
    72% of the ink in the colour cartridges and still got 35% of the ink in
    the black cartridge - and they are the original cartridges that came with
    the printer!

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 21, 2004
  11. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:26:53 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Divine wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:26:00 +1200, thing wrote:
    >>

    >>>My Deskjet 1250c also needs a new colour cartridge, I would rather not
    >>>spend $65 at DSE for the tiny amount of printing it does.....but getting
    >>>another poor performing 3rd party cartridge does not appeal...

    >> Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >> resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.
    >>
    >> The proprietary cartridges are about the same price (about $20 per
    >> cartridge including colour cartridges) as the budget brands for other
    >> models - so much so that I have yet to see a budget brand cartridge for
    >> the Epson C83. Also they contain heaps of ink as the C83 is designed to
    >> print out shitloads at a time.
    >>
    >> If you print out lots each week this printer will end up paying for itself
    >> with the cost savings in consumables.
    >>
    >> I bought one of them and I have been very pleased with it's performance.
    >>
    >> It works well with Mandrake/CUPS. Windows software is also supplied.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    >I'm actually considering getting a Colour Laser printer for a xmas present.

    No good for Photo work at all.

    Karen Parker, Aug 21, 2004
  12. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:32:59 +1200, Divine <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:51:31 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:
    >
    >>>Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >>>resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.

    >> Yes a pit pointless when its a obsolete model..
    >>
    >> Do some research before you post again..
    >>

    >> Plus this firms does sell C83 Tanks that contain 30% more ink, so do some
    >> research as you are posting fake INFO..

    >LOL - I was posting my OPINION based on having not too long ago purchased
    >a C83.
    >
    >Have you, Woger, purchased and been using an Epson C83? Or are you just
    >spouting your usual CRAP?
    >

    >Divine

    No bought a R210..

    You can't buy a C83 can you..?

    Karen Parker, Aug 21, 2004
  13. thing

    thing Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:26:53 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>>Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >>>resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.
    >>>
    >>>The proprietary cartridges are about the same price (about $20 per
    >>>cartridge including colour cartridges) as the budget brands for other
    >>>models - so much so that I have yet to see a budget brand cartridge for
    >>>the Epson C83. Also they contain heaps of ink as the C83 is designed to
    >>>print out shitloads at a time.
    >>>
    >>>If you print out lots each week this printer will end up paying for itself
    >>>with the cost savings in consumables.
    >>>
    >>>I bought one of them and I have been very pleased with it's performance.
    >>>
    >>>It works well with Mandrake/CUPS. Windows software is also supplied.
    >>>

    >>>Divine
    >>>

    >>I'm actually considering getting a Colour Laser printer for a xmas present.
    >>
    >>Just need to decide on which one...
    >>
    >>Needs Linux and Mac compatibility..

    > Cool!
    >
    > Further information about the C83...
    >
    > I've printed out several very high-res A4 photographic images onto glossy
    > photo paper, as well as normal daily printing needs, and I've STILL got
    > 72% of the ink in the colour cartridges and still got 35% of the ink in
    > the black cartridge - and they are the original cartridges that came with
    > the printer!
    >

    > Divine

    I find the C70 good quality and reasonably fast, the ink also lasts
    pretty well really, better than HP anyway.

    I am still pissed though that the expenditure on ink is so high....I
    hate having to buy a toner cartridge at 50%+ of the cost of a new
    printer....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004
  14. thing

    thing Guest

    Karen wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:26:53 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>Divine wrote:

    >>>Trash your inkjets in favour of the Epson C83 - a medium priced, very high
    >>>resolution, or very fast, inkjet/officejet printer.
    >>>
    >>>The proprietary cartridges are about the same price (about $20 per
    >>>cartridge including colour cartridges) as the budget brands for other
    >>>models - so much so that I have yet to see a budget brand cartridge for
    >>>the Epson C83. Also they contain heaps of ink as the C83 is designed to
    >>>print out shitloads at a time.
    >>>
    >>>If you print out lots each week this printer will end up paying for itself
    >>>with the cost savings in consumables.
    >>>
    >>>I bought one of them and I have been very pleased with it's performance.
    >>>
    >>>It works well with Mandrake/CUPS. Windows software is also supplied.
    >>>

    >>>Divine
    >>>

    >>I'm actually considering getting a Colour Laser printer for a xmas present.

    > No good for Photo work at all.
    >

    >>Just need to decide on which one...
    >>
    >>Needs Linux and Mac compatibility..
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    Did I say i needed it for photo work?

    I dont...hence my consideration of a colour laser printer

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 21, 2004
  15. thing

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Aug 21, 2004
  16. thing

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:45:50 +1200, Woger wrote:

    > You can't buy a C83 can you..?

    Yes - I DID buy a C83 about three months ago.

    Divine

    --
    "Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are often portrayed as a threat to all
    that is good and decent. When we seek the SAME rights as others, these

    Divine, Aug 21, 2004
  17. thing

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:57:22 +1200, thing wrote:

    > I am still pissed though that the expenditure on ink is so high....I
    > hate having to buy a toner cartridge at 50%+ of the cost of a new
    > printer....

    Me too.

    That's why I bought the C83 - to reduce the cost of consumables.

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 21, 2004
  18. thing

    Gerry Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:56:43 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >EMB wrote:
    >> thing wrote:
    >>

    >>> My experience with ISO means, "we can consistantly make crap" ie it
    >>> means nothing......biggest joke out....but that is another story....

    >> ISO 900x certification means they are good at paperwork and keeping
    >> records, it says nothing about the quality of their products except that
    >> it's consistent (ie. always bloody awful) and documented.
    >>

    >lol, yeah that has been my experience, companies that have isos
    >creditation to me has meant they have employed accountant type admin wee
    >gnomes to keep lots of records instead of employing real
    >engineers....and often the engineers leave because they get snowed under
    >by excessive and stupid paper work....
    >
    >At one stage a company I worked for produced a 32 page document which I
    >had to fill in for each project...The actual project was tiny and
    >consisted of 4 x A4 pages.....
    >I tried to talk my firm out of ISO and get on with the real workIt seems once you have got it you are stuck with it.

    Under ISO you can make a concrete lifejacket
    Gerry

    Gerry, Aug 21, 2004
  19. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:02:32 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Karen Parker wrote:
    >
    >> You can't buy a C83 can you..?

    >Still listed by at least 6 retailers.
    >
    >http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_3023.html

    Means nothing..

    Listing and having it are 2 separate things..

    Karen Parker, Aug 21, 2004
  20. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:33:37 +1200, Divine <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:45:50 +1200, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> You can't buy a C83 can you..?

    >Yes - I DID buy a C83 about three months ago.
    >

    >Divine

    Old stock, currently not listed by Epson NZ..

    Karen Parker, Aug 21, 2004