Ink Cartridges A Unique Solution

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector_NZ, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    With the number of threads on here about Ink Cartridges and third party
    cheapies I thought this may intrest som people.

    Recently while in an Unamed asian location at an unamed software store I
    watch with amusement as an MP3 cd was produced for a customer, A
    collection of 12 Bowie Albums and as the CD spat out of the burner (a
    tower with about 5 burners in it) the guy shoves it in a cannon printer
    which prints on CD,s and out came a custom printed CD, and two sleeves
    for the case. Now that was neat but even better was the printer had no
    ink cartridge in it, it had a rack behind it with four bottles of ink
    (about 1 litre each) with flexible tubes leading to the printer and
    connected to a modified set of heads in the print head assembly.
    He said he printed thousands of CDs a month and gets about 2 months out
    of his bottles which cost him about the same as a cartridge. He
    estimates his little jury rig means he prints at less than 1% of the
    cost of using cartridges

    Now there is lateral problem solving.

    Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.

    BTW The CD wasnt for me, but cost about NZ$1.50 for 12 complete albums
    each tune and individual MP3 and with correct MP3 tags on them. THe case
    sleeves had the artwork for each album on it and the albums titles. A
    very neat setup.
    He had five laminated double sided A4 sheets listing his collections of
    artists, each had a tick box beside it and you used an OHP pen to mark
    each collection you wanted, he feed each ones index number into his
    program and loaded the CD tower next out came the CDs. All on demand, no
    stock premade. This little pirate and his girlfriend where well organised.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:32:12 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    wrote:

    >With the number of threads on here about Ink Cartridges and third party
    >cheapies I thought this may intrest som people.
    >

    >Recently while in an Unamed asian location at an unamed software store I
    >watch with amusement as an MP3 cd was produced for a customer, A
    >collection of 12 Bowie Albums and as the CD spat out of the burner (a
    >tower with about 5 burners in it) the guy shoves it in a cannon printer
    >which prints on CD,s and out came a custom printed CD, and two sleeves
    >for the case. Now that was neat but even better was the printer had no
    >ink cartridge in it, it had a rack behind it with four bottles of ink
    >(about 1 litre each) with flexible tubes leading to the printer and
    >connected to a modified set of heads in the print head assembly.
    >He said he printed thousands of CDs a month and gets about 2 months out
    >of his bottles which cost him about the same as a cartridge. He
    >estimates his little jury rig means he prints at less than 1% of the
    >cost of using cartridges
    >
    >Now there is lateral problem solving.
    >
    >Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    >wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.
    >
    >BTW The CD wasnt for me, but cost about NZ$1.50 for 12 complete albums
    >each tune and individual MP3 and with correct MP3 tags on them. THe case
    >sleeves had the artwork for each album on it and the albums titles. A
    >very neat setup.
    >He had five laminated double sided A4 sheets listing his collections of
    >artists, each had a tick box beside it and you used an OHP pen to mark
    >each collection you wanted, he feed each ones index number into his
    >program and loaded the CD tower next out came the CDs. All on demand, no
    >stock premade. This little pirate and his girlfriend where well organised.

    >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Funny This as printing CD takes over 24 hours to dry as its a water based
    ink..
    Karen Parker, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Karen Parker said the following on 28/08/2004 10:55:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:32:12 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>With the number of threads on here about Ink Cartridges and third party
    >>cheapies I thought this may intrest som people.
    >>

    >>Recently while in an Unamed asian location at an unamed software store I
    >>watch with amusement as an MP3 cd was produced for a customer, A
    >>collection of 12 Bowie Albums and as the CD spat out of the burner (a
    >>tower with about 5 burners in it) the guy shoves it in a cannon printer
    >>which prints on CD,s and out came a custom printed CD, and two sleeves
    >>for the case. Now that was neat but even better was the printer had no
    >>ink cartridge in it, it had a rack behind it with four bottles of ink
    >>(about 1 litre each) with flexible tubes leading to the printer and
    >>connected to a modified set of heads in the print head assembly.
    >>He said he printed thousands of CDs a month and gets about 2 months out
    >>of his bottles which cost him about the same as a cartridge. He
    >>estimates his little jury rig means he prints at less than 1% of the
    >>cost of using cartridges
    >>
    >>Now there is lateral problem solving.
    >>
    >>Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    >>wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.
    >>
    >>BTW The CD wasnt for me, but cost about NZ$1.50 for 12 complete albums
    >>each tune and individual MP3 and with correct MP3 tags on them. THe case
    >>sleeves had the artwork for each album on it and the albums titles. A
    >>very neat setup.
    >>He had five laminated double sided A4 sheets listing his collections of
    >>artists, each had a tick box beside it and you used an OHP pen to mark
    >>each collection you wanted, he feed each ones index number into his
    >>program and loaded the CD tower next out came the CDs. All on demand, no
    >>stock premade. This little pirate and his girlfriend where well organised.

    >>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > Funny This as printing CD takes over 24 hours to dry as its a water based
    > ink..

    Takes moments when its photo ink in a canon and the cd is a printable CD.
    Then again the thermal CD printers are dry before they come out of the
    machine.

    Oh dear you have a very limited experiance in these things I think.

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.
    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Karen Parker said the following on 28/08/2004 10:55:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:32:12 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>With the number of threads on here about Ink Cartridges and third party
    >>cheapies I thought this may intrest som people.
    >>

    >>Recently while in an Unamed asian location at an unamed software store I
    >>watch with amusement as an MP3 cd was produced for a customer, A
    >>collection of 12 Bowie Albums and as the CD spat out of the burner (a
    >>tower with about 5 burners in it) the guy shoves it in a cannon printer
    >>which prints on CD,s and out came a custom printed CD, and two sleeves
    >>for the case. Now that was neat but even better was the printer had no
    >>ink cartridge in it, it had a rack behind it with four bottles of ink
    >>(about 1 litre each) with flexible tubes leading to the printer and
    >>connected to a modified set of heads in the print head assembly.
    >>He said he printed thousands of CDs a month and gets about 2 months out
    >>of his bottles which cost him about the same as a cartridge. He
    >>estimates his little jury rig means he prints at less than 1% of the
    >>cost of using cartridges
    >>
    >>Now there is lateral problem solving.
    >>
    >>Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    >>wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.
    >>
    >>BTW The CD wasnt for me, but cost about NZ$1.50 for 12 complete albums
    >>each tune and individual MP3 and with correct MP3 tags on them. THe case
    >>sleeves had the artwork for each album on it and the albums titles. A
    >>very neat setup.
    >>He had five laminated double sided A4 sheets listing his collections of
    >>artists, each had a tick box beside it and you used an OHP pen to mark
    >>each collection you wanted, he feed each ones index number into his
    >>program and loaded the CD tower next out came the CDs. All on demand, no
    >>stock premade. This little pirate and his girlfriend where well organised.

    >>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > Funny This as printing CD takes over 24 hours to dry as its a water based
    > ink..

    SHit Trolled by the Woger Dam I missed it.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Collector_NZ

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:02:21 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Karen Parker said the following on 28/08/2004 10:55:
    >
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:32:12 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>With the number of threads on here about Ink Cartridges and third party
    >>>cheapies I thought this may intrest som people.
    >>>

    >>>Recently while in an Unamed asian location at an unamed software store I
    >>>watch with amusement as an MP3 cd was produced for a customer, A
    >>>collection of 12 Bowie Albums and as the CD spat out of the burner (a
    >>>tower with about 5 burners in it) the guy shoves it in a cannon printer
    >>>which prints on CD,s and out came a custom printed CD, and two sleeves
    >>>for the case. Now that was neat but even better was the printer had no
    >>>ink cartridge in it, it had a rack behind it with four bottles of ink
    >>>(about 1 litre each) with flexible tubes leading to the printer and
    >>>connected to a modified set of heads in the print head assembly.
    >>>He said he printed thousands of CDs a month and gets about 2 months out
    >>>of his bottles which cost him about the same as a cartridge. He
    >>>estimates his little jury rig means he prints at less than 1% of the
    >>>cost of using cartridges
    >>>
    >>>Now there is lateral problem solving.
    >>>
    >>>Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    >>>wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.
    >>>
    >>>BTW The CD wasnt for me, but cost about NZ$1.50 for 12 complete albums
    >>>each tune and individual MP3 and with correct MP3 tags on them. THe case
    >>>sleeves had the artwork for each album on it and the albums titles. A
    >>>very neat setup.
    >>>He had five laminated double sided A4 sheets listing his collections of
    >>>artists, each had a tick box beside it and you used an OHP pen to mark
    >>>each collection you wanted, he feed each ones index number into his
    >>>program and loaded the CD tower next out came the CDs. All on demand, no
    >>>stock premade. This little pirate and his girlfriend where well organised.

    >>>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    >> Funny This as printing CD takes over 24 hours to dry as its a water based
    >> ink..
    >>

    >Takes moments when its photo ink in a canon and the cd is a printable CD.
    >Then again the thermal CD printers are dry before they come out of the
    >machine.
    >
    >Oh dear you have a very limited experiance in these things I think.

    Seems to me that you just don't have a clue..

    Its a INK PRINTER Not Thermal..
    Karen Parker, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ

    colinco Guest

    In article Collector_NZ says...
    > Now there is lateral problem solving.
    >
    > Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    > wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.

    Continuous inking systems aren't new.

    http://www.weink.com/ecom/products/canon.htm is just one commercial
    source
    colinco, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    colinco said the following on 28/08/2004 19:16:

    > In article Collector_NZ says...
    >
    >>Now there is lateral problem solving.
    >>
    >>Asked about buying a similar setup and he said, the time to make it
    >>wouldnt be profitable for him as he made too much on the MP3 cds.
    >>

    > Continuous inking systems aren't new.
    >
    > http://www.weink.com/ecom/products/canon.htm is just one commercial
    > source

    Thanks for that link, I was intriuged at the time because I hadnt heard
    of anyone doing it. His was home built and appeared to be gravity feed
    to modified cartridges.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Karen Parker said the following on 28/08/2004 13:47:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:02:21 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Karen Parker said the following on 28/08/2004 10:55:

    >>>Funny This as printing CD takes over 24 hours to dry as its a water based
    >>>ink..
    >>>

    >>Takes moments when its photo ink in a canon and the cd is a printable CD.
    >>Then again the thermal CD printers are dry before they come out of the
    >>machine.
    >>
    >>Oh dear you have a very limited experiance in these things I think.

    > Seems to me that you just don't have a clue..
    >
    > Its a INK PRINTER Not Thermal..

    Lets do the troll

    Hey stuff head I actually said it was ink and the comment about thermal
    was just to inform you of your ignorance. You know new sentance and all
    that

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Collector_NZ

    John Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:52:30 +1200, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Lets do the troll
    >
    > Hey stuff head I actually said it was ink and the comment about thermal
    > was just to inform you of your ignorance. You know new sentance and all
    > that

    Roger is correct when he said that the ink must be left for 24 hours
    to dry, at least that's what the manual states when using an Inkjet
    Epson R210. (Roger uses this printer).

    There is an option to use less ink when printing onto a CD that would
    allow less time to dry, maybe the shopkeeper was using this method.

    If the shopkeeper was using plastic cases, than the ink wouldn't be
    touched by the lid therefore no smudging. If he used paper sleeves
    then I doubt the the ink would be sufficiently dried for the ink not
    be smudged.

    If only text was used on the CD, depending of course on the amount of
    text, this should dry quite fast and shouldn't be a problem with
    either plastic cases, or paper sleeves.

    My own experience of printing CD's shows that differing periods of
    time is required for the disk to dry depending on the amount of detail
    printed.

    I personally wouldn't touch the CD immediately after printing. The
    one's that I have printed (depending on saturation) have taken between
    a few minutes to many hours, before drying completely.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 28, 2004
  10. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    John said the following on 29/08/2004 08:48:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:52:30 +1200, Collector_NZ wrote:
    >

    >>Lets do the troll
    >>
    >>Hey stuff head I actually said it was ink and the comment about thermal
    >>was just to inform you of your ignorance. You know new sentance and all
    >>that

    > Roger is correct when he said that the ink must be left for 24 hours
    > to dry, at least that's what the manual states when using an Inkjet
    > Epson R210. (Roger uses this printer).
    >
    > There is an option to use less ink when printing onto a CD that would
    > allow less time to dry, maybe the shopkeeper was using this method.
    >
    > If the shopkeeper was using plastic cases, than the ink wouldn't be
    > touched by the lid therefore no smudging. If he used paper sleeves
    > then I doubt the the ink would be sufficiently dried for the ink not
    > be smudged.
    >
    > If only text was used on the CD, depending of course on the amount of
    > text, this should dry quite fast and shouldn't be a problem with
    > either plastic cases, or paper sleeves.
    >
    > My own experience of printing CD's shows that differing periods of
    > time is required for the disk to dry depending on the amount of detail
    > printed.
    >
    > I personally wouldn't touch the CD immediately after printing. The
    > one's that I have printed (depending on saturation) have taken between
    > a few minutes to many hours, before drying completely.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    It may be the case for the Epson, but my canon is dry to touch on exit,
    but only when using the CD's which are coated for printing onto. That
    said it is wise to be cautious in touching it particularly on a big
    block of the same colour. Now if you print onto a plain blank CD with no
    coating you may end up waiting forever for it to dry, and if/when it
    does it will flake peel and scratch due to lack of adhesion.

    Yes the little asian pirate was putting them straight into slim line
    cases, I grabbed one and examined it as I was interested in what he was
    doing, it was dry (as per my own experiance).

    Woger dosnt know it all and if it dosnt conform to his model it must be
    wrong no matter what. Its even more classic when he decides it might be
    a case of him being wrong then he looks for others things to pick holes
    in. Like my mentioning Thermal printers, and his statement on that. He
    still had it wrong but he had to have a go.

    When he is right he really is right but oh boy when hes wrong he will
    never admit it.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  11. Collector_NZ

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:20:35 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    wrote:

    >John said the following on 29/08/2004 08:48:
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:52:30 +1200, Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Lets do the troll
    >>>
    >>>Hey stuff head I actually said it was ink and the comment about thermal
    >>>was just to inform you of your ignorance. You know new sentance and all
    >>>that

    >> Roger is correct when he said that the ink must be left for 24 hours
    >> to dry, at least that's what the manual states when using an Inkjet
    >> Epson R210. (Roger uses this printer).
    >>
    >> There is an option to use less ink when printing onto a CD that would
    >> allow less time to dry, maybe the shopkeeper was using this method.
    >>
    >> If the shopkeeper was using plastic cases, than the ink wouldn't be
    >> touched by the lid therefore no smudging. If he used paper sleeves
    >> then I doubt the the ink would be sufficiently dried for the ink not
    >> be smudged.
    >>
    >> If only text was used on the CD, depending of course on the amount of
    >> text, this should dry quite fast and shouldn't be a problem with
    >> either plastic cases, or paper sleeves.
    >>
    >> My own experience of printing CD's shows that differing periods of
    >> time is required for the disk to dry depending on the amount of detail
    >> printed.
    >>
    >> I personally wouldn't touch the CD immediately after printing. The
    >> one's that I have printed (depending on saturation) have taken between
    >> a few minutes to many hours, before drying completely.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.

    >It may be the case for the Epson, but my canon is dry to touch on exit,
    >but only when using the CD's which are coated for printing onto. That
    >said it is wise to be cautious in touching it particularly on a big
    >block of the same colour. Now if you print onto a plain blank CD with no
    > coating you may end up waiting forever for it to dry, and if/when it
    >does it will flake peel and scratch due to lack of adhesion.
    >
    >Yes the little asian pirate was putting them straight into slim line
    >cases, I grabbed one and examined it as I was interested in what he was
    >doing, it was dry (as per my own experiance).
    >
    >Woger dosnt know it all and if it dosnt conform to his model it must be
    >wrong no matter what. Its even more classic when he decides it might be
    >a case of him being wrong then he looks for others things to pick holes
    >in. Like my mentioning Thermal printers, and his statement on that. He
    >still had it wrong but he had to have a go.

    What a Utter Idiot you are, I HAVE A THERMAL Printer, you know F all, So piss
    off to ware you belong and its not here little Boy..

    NO I DO NOT HAVE IT WRONG ITS YOU THAT IS COMPLELY WRONG.

    SO SMALL FRY JUST PISS OFF.

    Karen Parker, Aug 29, 2004
  12. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Karen Parker said the following on 29/08/2004 11:19:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:20:35 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>John said the following on 29/08/2004 08:48:

    >>>Roger is correct when he said that the ink must be left for 24 hours
    >>>to dry, at least that's what the manual states when using an Inkjet
    >>>Epson R210. (Roger uses this printer).
    >>>
    >>>There is an option to use less ink when printing onto a CD that would
    >>>allow less time to dry, maybe the shopkeeper was using this method.
    >>>
    >>>If the shopkeeper was using plastic cases, than the ink wouldn't be
    >>>touched by the lid therefore no smudging. If he used paper sleeves
    >>>then I doubt the the ink would be sufficiently dried for the ink not
    >>>be smudged.
    >>>
    >>>If only text was used on the CD, depending of course on the amount of
    >>>text, this should dry quite fast and shouldn't be a problem with
    >>>either plastic cases, or paper sleeves.
    >>>
    >>>My own experience of printing CD's shows that differing periods of
    >>>time is required for the disk to dry depending on the amount of detail
    >>>printed.
    >>>
    >>>I personally wouldn't touch the CD immediately after printing. The
    >>>one's that I have printed (depending on saturation) have taken between
    >>>a few minutes to many hours, before drying completely.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>John.

    >>It may be the case for the Epson, but my canon is dry to touch on exit,
    >>but only when using the CD's which are coated for printing onto. That
    >>said it is wise to be cautious in touching it particularly on a big
    >>block of the same colour. Now if you print onto a plain blank CD with no
    >> coating you may end up waiting forever for it to dry, and if/when it
    >>does it will flake peel and scratch due to lack of adhesion.
    >>
    >>Yes the little asian pirate was putting them straight into slim line
    >>cases, I grabbed one and examined it as I was interested in what he was
    >>doing, it was dry (as per my own experiance).
    >>
    >>Woger dosnt know it all and if it dosnt conform to his model it must be
    >>wrong no matter what. Its even more classic when he decides it might be
    >>a case of him being wrong then he looks for others things to pick holes
    >>in. Like my mentioning Thermal printers, and his statement on that. He
    >>still had it wrong but he had to have a go.

    > What a Utter Idiot you are, I HAVE A THERMAL Printer, you know F all, So piss
    > off to ware you belong and its not here little Boy..
    >

    > NO I DO NOT HAVE IT WRONG ITS YOU THAT IS COMPLELY WRONG.
    >

    > SO SMALL FRY JUST PISS OFF.
    >

    >>When he is right he really is right but oh boy when hes wrong he will
    >>never admit it.

    Dear oh dear take the lithium boyo. Besides you should be a little more
    temperate you never know who some people are on here, they might even
    live down the road from you :cool:

    Collector_NZ, Aug 29, 2004
  13. Collector_NZ

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Karen Parker < wrote:
    >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:20:35 +1200, Collector_NZ <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>When he is right he really is right but oh boy when hes wrong he will
    >>never admit it.

    >NO I DO NOT HAVE IT WRONG ITS YOU THAT IS COMPLELY WRONG.
    >SO SMALL FRY JUST PISS OFF.

    ....and when he's wrong and we rub it in he goes postal. Hey Roger, you want
    to move back a bit? You're spraying spittle all over the screen...

    It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
    are governed by people who are not as smart.
    Don Hills, Aug 29, 2004
  14. Collector_NZ

    Guest

    , Dec 18, 2004