Initiate a SkyPe Call Using a Cordless Phone Via ActionTec Internet Phone Wizard?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by jaykchan@hotmail.com, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have just bought a phone adapter for connecting a regular phone to
    SkyPe. I have a question on the way to initiate a call through a
    cordless phone instead of through the SkyPe program.

    That phone adapter is called "Internet Phone Wizard" from ActionTec.
    That device connects to the PC through USB, and the device has a jack
    for an analog phone. I have connected a corded phone to the device,
    and I can talk using the phone and SkyPe; but I will have to initiate
    the call through the SkyPe program. I don't know how to initiate a
    SkyPe call using the keys in the phone. This is OK as long as I am
    using the corded phone and I need to sit in front of the PC anyway.
    But this won't be OK if I use one of those set of multiple cordless
    phones because I may be making SkyPe call from a different room.
    According to ActionTec web site, I am supposed to hit some keys in the
    phone to initiate a SkyPe call; but they don't say which keys (I guess
    this may be specific to the model of phone). I have emailed them about
    this; but almost a week later they still haven't answered my email (not
    a good sign for customer service).

    I think this may have something to do with setting up a Speed Dial to
    each phone number in the phone book in SkyPe. I have done that; but
    still I don't know which keys in the phone to press to tell the phone
    adapter that I meant to use SkyPe to make the call.

    I am quite puzzled right now. Please help.

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    Jay Chan

    , Mar 14, 2006

  2. The user manual at http://www.actiontec.com/support/voip/manual.pdf , at
    pages 26 and 28, says that you have to hit the '#' key twice, wait for the
    dial tone, then enter a SkypeOut or a Skype speed-dial number (that you'll
    have separately set up in advance using the Skype software).

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks, I found it.

    I didn't understand the instruction when I was installing the device; I
    thought that meaned something else. Now that you point it out, I
    understand it.

    Jay Chan

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > The user manual at http://www.actiontec.com/support/voip/manual.pdf , at
    > pages 26 and 28, says that you have to hit the '#' key twice, wait for the
    > dial tone, then enter a SkypeOut or a Skype speed-dial number (that you'll
    > have separately set up in advance using the Skype software).
    >
    > Enzo
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I have just bought a phone adapter for connecting a regular phone to
    > > SkyPe. I have a question on the way to initiate a call through a
    > > cordless phone instead of through the SkyPe program.
    > >
    > > That phone adapter is called "Internet Phone Wizard" from ActionTec.
    > > That device connects to the PC through USB, and the device has a jack
    > > for an analog phone. I have connected a corded phone to the device,
    > > and I can talk using the phone and SkyPe; but I will have to initiate
    > > the call through the SkyPe program. I don't know how to initiate a
    > > SkyPe call using the keys in the phone. This is OK as long as I am
    > > using the corded phone and I need to sit in front of the PC anyway.
    > > But this won't be OK if I use one of those set of multiple cordless
    > > phones because I may be making SkyPe call from a different room.
    > > According to ActionTec web site, I am supposed to hit some keys in the
    > > phone to initiate a SkyPe call; but they don't say which keys (I guess
    > > this may be specific to the model of phone). I have emailed them about
    > > this; but almost a week later they still haven't answered my email (not
    > > a good sign for customer service).
    > >
    > > I think this may have something to do with setting up a Speed Dial to
    > > each phone number in the phone book in SkyPe. I have done that; but
    > > still I don't know which keys in the phone to press to tell the phone
    > > adapter that I meant to use SkyPe to make the call.
    > >
    > > I am quite puzzled right now. Please help.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any info.
    > >
    > > Jay Chan

    , Mar 15, 2006