    slot but no go.

    Would appreciate any advice from the group.
    Thanks
    Joe Boon, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Joe Boon

    °Mike° Guest

    The next step -- if you are certain that you have checked
    *all* connections -- is to load BIOS defaults, and to check
    the CMOS battery; it may be an idea to replace the battery.

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:16:04 +0800, in
    <bsh5tl$941$>
    Joe Boon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Joe Boon

    M Mullen Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:16:04 +0800, "Joe Boon" <>
    wrote:

    |> I have an old computer 6x86MX-PR200 with Win98SE
    |> which worked fine until now when it failed to complete its
    |> initializing process. After switching on the PC it started
    |> its POST and when it reached -
    |> "Initializing Plug & Play Cards...Card-01 ESS ES1869
    |> Plug and Play AudioDrive"
    |> it stopped, while the cursor kept on blinking

    Check your IRQ's, to initialize it must find a spot for it, looks like it can't.
    Yet it did read the cards Bios (Card-01 ESS ES1869), add anything new?
    Check Bios for Plug-n-Play support being on. Mike mentioned the Battery, if it
    is discharged it could reset your bios settings.
    Pull the card and if you boot-up - replace it.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Joe Boon

    Joe Boon Guest

    Thanks Mullen and Mike too for the advice.

    I have loaded BIOS defaults, checked battery (still 3v),
    ensured Plug & Play is ON, and pulled out the ESS card.
    Now it stopped after detecting HDD and CD-RW, cursor
    blinking at this point. It would appear that the sound card
    is not the culprit. Wonder what further steps should I take
    to solve this problem?

    Thanks

    "M Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:16:04 +0800, "Joe Boon"

    <>

    Joe Boon, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Joe Boon

    M Mullen Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:51:20 +0800, "Joe Boon" <>
    wrote:

    |> I have loaded BIOS defaults, checked battery (still 3v),
    |> ensured Plug & Play is ON, and pulled out the ESS card.
    |> Now it stopped after detecting HDD and CD-RW, cursor
    |> blinking at this point. It would appear that the sound card
    |> is not the culprit. Wonder what further steps should I take
    |> to solve this problem?

    One more. Do you get one beep from the bios? if so it's not the mobo or CPU
    Any more or any less indicates a problem and you need to reference the Bios beep
    codes for your bios to see what it's telling you.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Joe Boon

    °Mike° Guest

    Take everything out -- and I mean *everything*, including
    RAM. Replace everything, making sure that all connections
    are nice and snug. If you still have problems, you should
    start a process of elimination, by removing *everything* but
    the essentials -- graphics card, RAM -- and reboot, replacing
    one item at a time, to see if you can pinpoint the hardware
    item that's causing the problems. If you're unlucky, it may
    be a problem on the motherboard.

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:51:20 +0800, in
    <bsj1jc$4gp$>
    Joe Boon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Joe Boon

    Joe Boon Guest

    Thanks Mike & Mullen,

    Will follow suggestions and keep my fingers crossed.
    Your help is very much appreciated.

    Joe Boon, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Joe Boon

    °Mike° Guest

    Good luck.

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:51:15 +0800, in
    <bsk8jk$o1o$>
    Joe Boon scrawled:

    >Thanks Mike & Mullen,
    >
    >Will follow suggestions and keep my fingers crossed.
    >Your help is very much appreciated.
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Take everything out -- and I mean *everything*, including
    >> RAM. Replace everything, making sure that all connections
    >> are nice and snug. If you still have problems, you should
    >> start a process of elimination, by removing *everything* but
    >> the essentials -- graphics card, RAM -- and reboot, replacing
    >> one item at a time, to see if you can pinpoint the hardware
    >> item that's causing the problems. If you're unlucky, it may
    >> be a problem on the motherboard.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Joe Boon

    Joe Boon Guest

    Thanks Mike & Mullen,

    Will follow suggestions and keep my fingers crossed.
    Your help is much appreciated.

    Joe Boon, Dec 28, 2003