    said the ini file was missing and then it shuts itself down.

    Thank you for any and all help

    return mail does not work please post replies. Many thanks
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Diana

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:13:00 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    wrote:

    |>Hi,
    |>What will cause the ini file to no longer be in the computer. No one hit any
    |>keys or went into the registry. In fact the computer is not even on the
    |>internet right now but when we had a power failure and tried to boot up it
    |>said the ini file was missing and then it shuts itself down.

    Power failure :)

    Read the finds of chkdisk/scandsk.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    Trax, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:13:00 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>Hi,
    > |>What will cause the ini file to no longer be in the computer. No one hit

    any
    > |>keys or went into the registry. In fact the computer is not even on the
    > |>internet right now but when we had a power failure and tried to boot up

    it
    > |>said the ini file was missing and then it shuts itself down.
    > |>

    > Power failure :)
    >
    > Read the finds of chkdisk/scandsk.
    > --
    > ,,
    > ( "> w
    > ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    Thank you. I will check it. After the power went out and it came back up it
    scanned the disk as it always does and then shut down. I will do as you say
    and hopefully I can fix the problem. Thank you for your help

    Diana
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Diana

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:45:26 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    wrote:

    |>"Trax" <> wrote in message

    |>any
    |>it
    |>> |>

    |>> Power failure :)
    |>>
    |>> Read the finds of chkdisk/scandsk.

    |>Thank you. I will check it. After the power went out and it came back up it
    |>scanned the disk as it always does and then shut down. I will do as you say
    |>and hopefully I can fix the problem. Thank you for your help

    As it always does? Your looking for a folder on your XP partition
    called FOUND.000 sort the files found there by date your missing file
    would be the latest and called FILE00XX.CHK. (also the highest number)

    I use UltraEdit for this, but you can drag and drop the file on
    notepad, look for key words.

    Good luck.

    --
    ,,
    Trax, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Diana

    Unk Guest

    You didn't mention the OS, but it sounds like Windows XP and the "boot.ini"
    file is damaged or missing. A standard WinXP Pro boot.ini contains the
    following data. (It's just a text file)

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect

    If you know someone that has the exact same operating system as yours,
    create a bootable floppy on their system, and use it to boot your system up.
    Just insert the floppy and boot up normally. (Make sure your BIOS boots the
    floppy first, hard drive second, cd-rom third.) Once your computer boots up,
    copy the boot.ini file to your computer's hard drive. (c:\boot.ini)

    To create a bootable floppy, click Start, Run. In the Run box type: CMD
    At the Cmd prompt, type:

    format a: /q /u /v:XPBoot

    Then type:

    xcopy /h %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ntldr a:
    xcopy /h %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ntdetect.com a:
    xcopy /h %SYSTEMDRIVE%\boot.ini a:

    That's it. Insert it into YOUR floppy drive and boot up.

    Unk, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:45:26 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > |>"Trax" <> wrote in message

    hit
    > |>any

    the

    up
    > |>it

    > |>Thank you. I will check it. After the power went out and it came back up

    it
    > |>scanned the disk as it always does and then shut down. I will do as you

    say
    > |>and hopefully I can fix the problem. Thank you for your help
    > |>

    > As it always does? Your looking for a folder on your XP partition
    > called FOUND.000 sort the files found there by date your missing file
    > would be the latest and called FILE00XX.CHK. (also the highest number)
    >
    > I use UltraEdit for this, but you can drag and drop the file on
    > notepad, look for key words.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > ,,
    > ( "> w
    > ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    Oh I am sorry it isn't this computer. It is my other one. It isn't even on
    the internet until next week only this one is for now It scanned disk after
    my husband turned power back on but keeps shutting down. It is a Win98 HP I
    can't bring it back up to anything past the windows opening and then it
    shuts down

    diana
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > You didn't mention the OS, but it sounds like Windows XP and the

    "boot.ini"
    > file is damaged or missing. A standard WinXP Pro boot.ini contains the
    > following data. (It's just a text file)
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=10
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect
    >
    > If you know someone that has the exact same operating system as yours,
    > create a bootable floppy on their system, and use it to boot your system

    up.
    > Just insert the floppy and boot up normally. (Make sure your BIOS boots

    the
    > floppy first, hard drive second, cd-rom third.) Once your computer boots

    up,
    > copy the boot.ini file to your computer's hard drive. (c:\boot.ini)
    >
    > To create a bootable floppy, click Start, Run. In the Run box type: CMD
    > At the Cmd prompt, type:
    >
    > format a: /q /u /v:XPBoot
    >

    > Then type:
    >
    > xcopy /h %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ntldr a:
    > xcopy /h %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ntdetect.com a:
    > xcopy /h %SYSTEMDRIVE%\boot.ini a:
    >
    > That's it. Insert it into YOUR floppy drive and boot up.
    >
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:13:00 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >What will cause the ini file to no longer be in the computer. No one hit

    any
    > >keys or went into the registry. In fact the computer is not even on the
    > >internet right now but when we had a power failure and tried to boot up

    it
    > >said the ini file was missing and then it shuts itself down.
    > >
    > >Thank you for any and all help
    > >
    > >return mail does not work please post replies. Many thanks

    Thanks it isn't this computer it is my other one. I am sorry I forgot to
    tell the specifics. It is an HP WIN 98. It isn't hooked to the internet
    until next week and we do have it on a surge protector. I can't get past the
    page that tells the drive it has and then it just shuts off Thanks for
    helping

    Di
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Diana

    wrote:

    |>I will do as you say
    |>and hopefully I can fix the problem.

    Don't do as I say take it only as a reference. The chance of you
    pulling the file out of a disk scan is rare, but I have pulled it off.

    A disk scan will save as a 32K (or increments of) file. real suprise
    if your file started out that size.

    I assumed your .ini file would be in a text format, and an easy cut
    and paste.

    Better solution would be to look for key words figure out what file it
    is and reinstall it.
    --
    ,,
    Trax, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:45:26 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>I will do as you say
    > |>and hopefully I can fix the problem.
    >
    > Don't do as I say take it only as a reference. The chance of you
    > pulling the file out of a disk scan is rare, but I have pulled it off.
    >
    > A disk scan will save as a 32K (or increments of) file. real suprise
    > if your file started out that size.
    >
    > I assumed your .ini file would be in a text format, and an easy cut
    > and paste.
    >
    > Better solution would be to look for key words figure out what file it
    > is and reinstall it.
    > --
    > ,,
    > ( "> w
    > ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    Would I reinstall from the recovery?

    Di
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Diana

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:09:48 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    wrote:

    |>Oh I am sorry it isn't this computer. It is my other one. It isn't even on
    |>the internet until next week only this one is for now It scanned disk after
    |>my husband turned power back on but keeps shutting down. It is a Win98 HP I
    |>can't bring it back up to anything past the windows opening and then it
    |>shuts down

    Darn if ever I need a chat room.

    Different approach, have him hit F8 at start-up and safe boot into 98
    might get you in.

    There are so many variables here that it's hard to say much more than
    that. most would say to reinstall your system, and in this case it
    might be appropriate but it's a lot of work for a missing INI, but if
    you don't know how to find it...

    Real pertinent question here would be what is the name of the ini
    file?

    --
    ,,
    Trax, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:09:48 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>Oh I am sorry it isn't this computer. It is my other one. It isn't even

    on
    > |>the internet until next week only this one is for now It scanned disk

    after
    > |>my husband turned power back on but keeps shutting down. It is a Win98

    HP I
    > |>can't bring it back up to anything past the windows opening and then it
    > |>shuts down
    >
    > Darn if ever I need a chat room.
    >
    > Different approach, have him hit F8 at start-up and safe boot into 98
    > might get you in.
    >
    > There are so many variables here that it's hard to say much more than
    > that. most would say to reinstall your system, and in this case it
    > might be appropriate but it's a lot of work for a missing INI, but if
    > you don't know how to find it...
    >
    > Real pertinent question here would be what is the name of the ini
    > file?
    >

    > --
    > ,,
    > ( "> w
    > ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    sorry it took so long. did what you said and nothing did find the ini file
    that is missing is SYSTEM.INI

    DI
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Diana

    Dan Shea Guest

    Diana,

    Start up your computer. Before Windows starts, start hitting F8 every
    seond or so. It should come up with a boot menu. Select "Command
    Prompt Only". At the command prompt, type "scanreg /restore".
    Restore a registry from before the power went out on you. Reboot, and
    see how that works.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004
  13. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    > Diana,
    >
    > Start up your computer. Before Windows starts, start hitting F8 every
    > seond or so. It should come up with a boot menu. Select "Command
    > Prompt Only". At the command prompt, type "scanreg /restore".
    > Restore a registry from before the power went out on you. Reboot, and
    > see how that works.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dan
    >
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:49:36 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Trax" <> wrote in message

    even
    > >on

    > >after

    Win98
    > >HP I

    it

    > >> Darn if ever I need a chat room.
    > >>
    > >> Different approach, have him hit F8 at start-up and safe boot into 98
    > >> might get you in.
    > >>
    > >> There are so many variables here that it's hard to say much more than
    > >> that. most would say to reinstall your system, and in this case it
    > >> might be appropriate but it's a lot of work for a missing INI, but if
    > >> you don't know how to find it...
    > >>
    > >> Real pertinent question here would be what is the name of the ini
    > >> file?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> ,,
    > >> ( "> w
    > >> ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > >> ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    > >sorry it took so long. did what you said and nothing did find the ini

    file
    > >that is missing is SYSTEM.INI
    > >
    > >DI

    Thank you I will try that now and let you know thanks !!

    Di
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  14. Diana

    Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>> Real pertinent question here would be what is the name of the ini
    |>> file?
    |>>
    |>sorry it took so long. did what you said and nothing did find the ini file
    |>that is missing is SYSTEM.INI

    http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=549

    Which version of Windows are you running? If you are running Win9x
    (which seems likely, from the symptoms), you can invoke the boot menu
    and boot to Command prompt only. Once you have a command prompt
    available, type in scanreg /restore. This presents you with a list of
    recent Registry backups. Select one that you feel comfortable with,
    restore it, and reboot. The .CAB backup file contains all 4 registry
    files: System.DAT, User.DAT, Win.INI, and System.INI.

    ======
    To get to the command prompt keep hitting F8 at start-up you will be
    met with the option.
    --
    ,,
    Trax, Feb 4, 2004
  15. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    > Diana,
    >
    > Start up your computer. Before Windows starts, start hitting F8 every
    > seond or so. It should come up with a boot menu. Select "Command
    > Prompt Only". At the command prompt, type "scanreg /restore".
    > Restore a registry from before the power went out on you. Reboot, and
    > see how that works.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dan
    >
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:49:36 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Trax" <> wrote in message

    even
    > >on

    > >after

    Win98
    > >HP I

    it

    > >> Darn if ever I need a chat room.
    > >>
    > >> Different approach, have him hit F8 at start-up and safe boot into 98
    > >> might get you in.
    > >>
    > >> There are so many variables here that it's hard to say much more than
    > >> that. most would say to reinstall your system, and in this case it
    > >> might be appropriate but it's a lot of work for a missing INI, but if
    > >> you don't know how to find it...
    > >>
    > >> Real pertinent question here would be what is the name of the ini
    > >> file?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> ,,
    > >> ( "> w
    > >> ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > >> ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    > >sorry it took so long. did what you said and nothing did find the ini

    file
    > >that is missing is SYSTEM.INI
    > >
    > >DI

    THANKS !!! you all are going to make a computer expert out of me yet :) If
    I could I would give you Big hugs . Thanks for your help............It Work
    !!! got it up and running again

    Di
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  16. Diana

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:10:56 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    wrote:

    |>"Dan Shea" <> wrote in message

    |>THANKS !!! you all are going to make a computer expert out of me yet :) If
    |>I could I would give you Big hugs . Thanks for your help............It Work
    |>!!! got it up and running again

    Good for you!
    --
    ,,
    Trax, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Diana

    Diana Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:10:56 GMT, "Diana" <<:)))))))<<<@hugs.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > |>"Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    >

    > |>THANKS !!! you all are going to make a computer expert out of me yet :)

    If
    > |>I could I would give you Big hugs . Thanks for your help............It

    Work
    > |>!!! got it up and running again
    > |>

    > Good for you!
    > --
    > ,,
    > ( "> w
    > ,(> )>| If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
    > ( ^^ ' riddle them with bullets.

    I could not have done it with you and the others. You all are always here in
    my time of need and I can't thank you enough

    Di
    Diana, Feb 4, 2004
  18. Diana

    Dan Shea Guest