Inherited Cisco equipment -Help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kenneth, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Hello all,

    Our company bought out an office space that came complete with a full
    network pre-setup. We also have a bunch of unused Cisco equipment we
    want to sell. All I'm trying to do is 1)Insure the unit(s) are working
    properly and 2)Console in to restore default settings prior to sale.

    I'm good at computers, but I'm no net admin. Following the Cicso
    instructions, I cant seem to console in to any of our units. Obviously
    I'm doing it wrong. The customer service documents / bills of sale for
    all this equipment is nowhere to be found, so Cisco wont even talk to
    me.

    Are there any other ways of restoring default settings, or is console
    my only option. Any reason a Win2k machine wouldnt be able to console?

    Equipment:
    Catalyst 3500, Catalyst 2948G-L3, 2500 router, Pix 515 (no idea what
    was included)

    I know thats not alot of information. I dont know what to say. Tell me
    what you need to know and I'll find out.

    One last thing: Is it permissable to post 'for sale' ads in this
    message board?

    Thanks for any help!!
    Kenneth, Sep 13, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Kenneth <> wrote:
    :Are there any other ways of restoring default settings, or is console
    :my only option. Any reason a Win2k machine wouldnt be able to console?

    Are you perchance using Hyperterm as your console program? If so, then
    at least some versions of it cannot generate the BREAK signal needed
    to get the attention of the boot prom within the necessary time frame
    after boot.

    :Equipment:
    :Catalyst 3500, Catalyst 2948G-L3, 2500 router, Pix 515 (no idea what
    :was included)

    The PIX 515 requires a different method than the others. For the
    PIX series, you need to download a password-clearing utility from
    Cisco, interrupt the boot in the monitor, and load the utility.
    It's all somewhat easier if your 515 happens to have a floppy;
    otherwise you have to [if memory serves me] do an xmodem upload
    through the console port.
    -- Rich Kulawiec
    Walter Roberson, Sep 14, 2004