Ingram bought Tecpac

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18702

    GIANT US distributor Ingram Micro said it has paid $493 million in cash
    to snap up Asian giant Tech Pacific.

    Tech Pacific distributes in India, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand,
    Hong Long, Singapore and Thailand.

    Ingram said that over 25,000 dealers and 75 vendors are part of Tech
    Pacific's portfolio.

    Its president, Greg Spierkel, said that Ingram Micro Asia Pacific will
    practically double in size because of the acquisition, and give it
    leadership in several of the territories.

    Crossover is not expected to be much of a problem because Tech Pacific
    has a different product portfolio including a large software component. µ

    wow...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18702
    >
    > GIANT US distributor Ingram Micro said it has paid $493 million in cash to
    > snap up Asian giant Tech Pacific.
    >
    > Tech Pacific distributes in India, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Hong
    > Long, Singapore and Thailand.
    >
    > Ingram said that over 25,000 dealers and 75 vendors are part of Tech
    > Pacific's portfolio.
    >
    > Its president, Greg Spierkel, said that Ingram Micro Asia Pacific will
    > practically double in size because of the acquisition, and give it
    > leadership in several of the territories.
    >
    > Crossover is not expected to be much of a problem because Tech Pacific has
    > a different product portfolio including a large software component. µ

    I wonder if Ingram account holders will automatically get TechPac accounts?
    :)

    Rider

    Rider, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:51:00 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18702
    >
    > GIANT US distributor Ingram Micro said it has paid $493 million in cash to
    > snap up Asian giant Tech Pacific.
    >
    > Tech Pacific distributes in India, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Hong
    > Long, Singapore and Thailand.
    >
    > Ingram said that over 25,000 dealers and 75 vendors are part of Tech
    > Pacific's portfolio.
    >
    > Its president, Greg Spierkel, said that Ingram Micro Asia Pacific will
    > practically double in size because of the acquisition, and give it
    > leadership in several of the territories.
    >
    > Crossover is not expected to be much of a problem because Tech Pacific has
    > a different product portfolio including a large software component. µ

    Does any one else around here regard Tech Pacific as having better
    customer service and systems than Ingram? (just based on the NZ arms of
    each one that is)

    It seems a rule that the crappier companies end up owning the better
    companies.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 28, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in news:pan.2004.09.28.00.01.25.347762
    @privacy.net:

    > It seems a rule that the crappier companies end up owning the better
    > companies.

    Customer service costs money, right off the bottom line; maybe that is one
    factor.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:47:33 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "AD." <> wrote in news:pan.2004.09.28.00.01.25.347762
    > @privacy.net:
    >
    >> It seems a rule that the crappier companies end up owning the better
    >> companies.
    >>

    > Customer service costs money, right off the bottom line; maybe that is one
    > factor.

    True - another factor could be that companies usually get crappier as they
    get bigger, and generally only big companies can go around buying other
    companies.

    Another might be that if you are a crappy company you have something to
    gain by buying a non crappy company, but that doesn't seem so smart the
    other way around.

    It seems like company crappiness is like entropy :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 28, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:47:33 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> "AD." <> wrote in news:pan.2004.09.28.00.01.25.347762
    >> @privacy.net:
    >>
    >>> It seems a rule that the crappier companies end up owning the better
    >>> companies.
    >>>

    >> Customer service costs money, right off the bottom line; maybe that
    >> is one factor.

    > True - another factor could be that companies usually get crappier as
    > they get bigger, and generally only big companies can go around buying
    > other companies.
    >
    > Another might be that if you are a crappy company you have something
    > to gain by buying a non crappy company, but that doesn't seem so smart
    > the other way around.
    >
    > It seems like company crappiness is like entropy :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    LOL
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 28, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    K Guest

    I think you are all missing the point here......... the enquirer!
    palllesssssssssssse, check out the home page and Im sure you will find
    that brittney no name has been impregnated by aliens

    JMTCW

    K, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "K" <> wrote in message
    >I think you are all missing the point here......... the enquirer!
    > palllesssssssssssse, check out the home page and Im sure you will find
    > that brittney no name has been impregnated by aliens

    Ummm, you may have missed something. As a TechPac customer, I received
    notification that it's true.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 29, 2004
  9. K wrote:
    > I think you are all missing the point here......... the enquirer!
    > palllesssssssssssse, check out the home page and Im sure you will find
    > that brittney no name has been impregnated by aliens

    heh, its not "the national enquirer", its the inq, much like the the
    reg(ister)... Mike Magee is a tech reporter from way back.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2004