Infrared photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rick white via PhotoKB.com, May 30, 2005.

  1. "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <> writes:

    > I'm almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and
    > Elements. I've checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget.
    > Elements is around the £70 mark, would it give me everything I m
    > likely to need for b/w infrared and also colour???

    I'm not familiar with PS Elements, so I am probably not the
    right one to answer this.

    PS Elements has a function to turn colour into monochrome, which is
    one of the things you need, and it also has a function to adjust
    brightness and contrast, which is another thing you will need.
    So I guess you can manage with PS Elements.

    What is missing in PS Elements is the channel mixer and curves
    adjustments. The channel mixer is used for more control when
    converting into monochrome, and for fake colour IR photography.
    The curves adjustment is very handy for getting that extra zing
    out of the IR highlights.

    There si a free 30 day trial period for both Elements and
    CS2 - so you can try them out and find out if its good enough
    for your needs before you have to pay for anything.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Thanks Gisle,

    How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i still
    need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the colour ??

    rick white via PhotoKB.com, Jun 13, 2005

  3. "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <> writes:
    > How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i
    > still need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the
    > colour ??

    The images produced by your camera with the infrared filter in
    place will probably be very flat and lacking in contrast. To
    get them converted into something pleasing, you need to do
    some post-processing. This goes for b&w as well as colour.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jun 13, 2005
  4. rick white via PhotoKB.com

    clw Guest

    In article <>,
    Gisle Hannemyr <> wrote:

    > "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <> writes:
    > > How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i
    > > still need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the
    > > colour ??

    > The images produced by your camera with the infrared filter in
    > place will probably be very flat and lacking in contrast. To
    > get them converted into something pleasing, you need to do
    > some post-processing. This goes for b&w as well as colour.

    If you do not want "flat and lacking in contrast" pictures, do not shoot
    in IR.

    clw, Jun 13, 2005
  5. rick white via PhotoKB.com

    ecm Guest

    rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Hi Gisle,
    >
    > I m almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and Elements.. I
    > ve checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget. Elements is around
    > the £70 mark, would it give me everything I m likely to need for b/w infrared
    > and also colour???
    >
    > Rick

    Check out GIMP 2 - it's freeware, and it has most of the important
    functions of Photoshop. I use it to adjust levels and curves all the
    time; it's much more stable than the original 1.X versions now, and
    it's quite usable. It's a little bit harder to learn and use than PS,
    but that's what you're not paying for.....

    Windows binaries(ie., compiled, ready to install program):
    http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

    Unix/Linix binaries:
    http://www.gimp.org/unix/
    (but you'd be better off compiling the source for your particular
    flavor)

    MacOSX binaries:
    http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

    GIMP documentation:
    http://www.gimp.org/docs/

    Source code:
    http://www.gimp.org/source/

    ECM

    ecm, Jun 13, 2005
  6. Hi Everybody,

    I ve just taken my first few i/r shots today. As you may recall my
    camera is a plain n simple point n shoot Olympus C-350 Z with hardly any
    means of manual control. My method was very basic and unprofessional but I m
    really quite pleased for a first crack at it even though not to the standard
    of some of you guys n gals. I sat the camera on the tripod and set it to
    timer to avoid touching it any more than necessary as I had to hold the Hoya
    R72 filter carefully against the lens with finger and thumb. There are no
    facilities for a lens adaptor I m afraid. Conditions were very hot, bright
    sunlight with occassional clouds. I transferred the images onto my PC and
    worked them around a bit in PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of
    ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really find I
    could get any better result ( Yes probably due to my lack of experience). I
    would also like to thank everybody who has been generous with their help and
    sorry to any messages I havn t answered directly, so much to take you
    understand.

    If you d like to see my photos go to
    http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist

    I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

    Rick

    rick white via PhotoKB.com, Jun 18, 2005
  7. rick white via PhotoKB.com

    Frank ess Guest

    rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > I ve just taken my first few i/r shots today. As you may
    > recall my camera is a plain n simple point n shoot Olympus C-350 Z
    > with hardly any means of manual control. My method was very basic
    > and unprofessional but I m really quite pleased for a first crack at
    > it even though not to the standard of some of you guys n gals. I
    > sat
    > the camera on the tripod and set it to timer to avoid touching it
    > any
    > more than necessary as I had to hold the Hoya R72 filter carefully
    > against the lens with finger and thumb. There are no facilities for
    > a lens adaptor I m afraid. Conditions were very hot, bright
    > sunlight
    > with occassional clouds. I transferred the images onto my PC and
    > worked them around a bit in PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download
    > of ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t
    > really find I could get any better result ( Yes probably due to my
    > lack of experience). I would also like to thank everybody who has
    > been generous with their help and sorry to any messages I havn t
    > answered directly, so much to take you understand.
    >
    > If you d like to see my photos go to
    > http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist
    >
    > I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

    I think the muted effect is very appropriate for the subject.

    High-contrast Infra Red is seductive, and it seems to me much of what
    is displayed overdoes it in that direction. The IR "medium", less
    pervasive than color or monochrome, has a tendency to overwhelm
    content on first viewing. Your images are very inviting of scrutiny.

    Thank you for the opportunity.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jun 18, 2005
  8. Hi Frank,

    Thanks for your comments, most welcome. I need a great deal of practice
    at this to improve but practice a will.

    Rick

    rick white via PhotoKB.com, Jun 18, 2005
  9. "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <> writes:

    > I transferred the images onto my PC and worked them around a bit in
    > PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of ELEMENTS which I tried
    > on one image but to be honest I didn't really find I could get any
    > better result (Yes probably due to my lack of experience).
    >
    > If you d like to see my photos go to
    > http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist
    >
    > I'd appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

    Very nice!

    Some may like the muted effect of the images as they are, but
    I think they might need a little more contrast.

    One suggestion:
    Load the images into Elements and select: Enhance->Auto Levels.

    It would be nice to know the exposure data (Aperture, Exposure
    time, ISO setting). They should be in the EXIF of the original
    files.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jun 19, 2005
  10. rick white via PhotoKB.com

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in
    > I have a free trial download of
    > ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really
    > find I could get any better result

    If you haven't yet bought Elements, you might want to consider PaintShop
    Pro. It has a very good noise removal function, which would make especially
    the skies much cleaner and tremendously improve the photographs.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Jun 19, 2005
  11. Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    >> I transferred the images onto my PC and worked them around a bit in
    >> PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of ELEMENTS which I tried

    >[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

    >Very nice!
    >
    >Some may like the muted effect of the images as they are, but
    >I think they might need a little more contrast.
    >
    >One suggestion:
    >Load the images into Elements and select: Enhance->Auto Levels.
    >
    >It would be nice to know the exposure data (Aperture, Exposure
    >time, ISO setting). They should be in the EXIF of the original
    >files.

    Hi Gisle,

    Thanks for your words of encouragement, I ll have another tinker with
    them along those lines. Sorry, more ignorance on my part but where and how
    do I access the original files for EXIF ?? I ve deleted the pictures from
    the camera so hopefully they ll be on the PC ?? More than happy to pass on
    the info IF I CAN FIND IT !!

    rick white via PhotoKB.com, Jun 19, 2005
  12. Hi Matti,

    Thanks for your suggestion, no I havn t bought Elements yet. Bit
    bewildered at present but learning all the time. will keep Paintshop Pro in
    mind.

    Cheers

    rick white via PhotoKB.com, Jun 19, 2005
  13. 19 Jun 2005 15:12:11 GMT, "rick white via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

    >Sorry, more ignorance on my part but where and how
    >do I access the original files for EXIF ?? I ve deleted the pictures from
    >the camera so hopefully they ll be on the PC ?? More than happy to pass on
    >the info IF I CAN FIND IT !!

    Check the properties of the picture files in Windows Explorer, the
    sheet called Summary. Or use EXIF InfoTip over at
    http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

    Rolf Egil Sølvik, Jun 20, 2005